Lose elevator control at mid approach.

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
superglide
Airman Basic

Lose elevator control at mid approach.

Post by superglide »

I really like the 250. I have 15hrs on her.

Everything was fine, all aspects of the plane coming along nicely. I had a power outage and my PC went to UPS. I think that might be when the elevator control problem began. That or when I started learning the Input Configurator. Didn't like the results so went back to my FSUIPC controller for my CH Eclipse and Quad.

Now in flight intial approach when i come off AP, decrease power, start descent, trim for descent rate and speed everything is stable thru about mid approach 4-7nms.
Suddenly its as if my rudder cable had snapped and i go into a dive. Power to idle, but no response on the elevator. No control and into the surface. Ka-Boom.

I don't have this problem on my T210 nor RE Duke Turb0 V2.

Hardware all seems OK. Have reloaded my 250. Deleted the Inp Confg ini. Reset axis and control inputs in FSUIPC. Deleted the A2A250 control ini. No joy.

Just have to fly other planes in the hangar til i get it worked out.

Thanks for any help or ideas.
Joe Brown:
Asus Z87 PRO, i7-4770K @ 4.6, EVGA GTX780, 16Gb Cors Dom Plat 9-11-11-31, TrkIR, W7 Pro x64, FSX ACCEL SP2 DX10, REX, ASN, FSUIPC, ORBX NA

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Lose elevator control at mid approach.

Post by Nick - A2A »

Joe,

It sounds like a trip to the virtual maintenance hangar may be in order. By default, this is accessed with shift + 7 and should allow you to repair the broken elevator hinge or actuator which is likely to be the culprit here.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

See my post on saved flights and preflights.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

lesnyborsuk
Airman

Post by lesnyborsuk »

Yesterday I lost my elevator on C182 too.
I had around 15 hours with her.

Maybe, some recent Accu-Sim update could have introduced increased chance of this failure.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

If I'm not mistaken your flight time doesn't really have an impact on this. I think those are random failures (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). But you can usually catch something in the preflight inspection. A missing nut, a broken hinge. Just remember that the failures are visible in the walkaround feature but they're not pointed out to you. Look closely at everything and try to catch the changes.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

The problem is that if you spot something on the walk around there is no way to correct the problem unless it also shows up in the maintenance hanger, but if you can just go to maintenance hanger why do the walk around? The problem is with serious flight control problems that don't show up in the walk around or maintenance hanger but happen in flight.

I have been thinking about this problem from a gaming and programing perspective as well as an aviation perspective but have not figured out yet how A2A solved it.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

superglide
Airman Basic

Post by superglide »

If I do a complete overhaul, that should correct it if it is a mechanical problem, right?
Joe Brown:
Asus Z87 PRO, i7-4770K @ 4.6, EVGA GTX780, 16Gb Cors Dom Plat 9-11-11-31, TrkIR, W7 Pro x64, FSX ACCEL SP2 DX10, REX, ASN, FSUIPC, ORBX NA

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

bullfox,

This is exactly like RL. If I spot an issue during the walkaround, there's nothing I can do about it and have to ground the airplane until the mechanic has the time to look at it. In reality they aren't going to go over the entire airplane and find every issue, but it's a fair compromise I think.

For example, if the cotter pin holding the upper elevator cable to the control horn came off the nut, I will not fly the airplane. First, I don't have cotter pins handy and second, it is not legal for me to fix it anyway.

The walk around adds to the immersion and trains one to have a critical eye to spot these very important issues that don't jump out screaming at you.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

superglide
Airman Basic

Post by superglide »

Good advice. I can tell your not shooting any bull. First addon aircraft I've owned with that level of simulation.

The complete overhaul seems to have solved it for now.

I'll take another look at the walk around and manuals.

Now that she's in great shape, don't want a mess up the paint again.

Thanks for the get back.
Joe Brown:

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

OK, this one got me in the Skylane today. I did the walk around, everything fine, took off , flew about 20 miles and all of a sudden the C 182 pitched up , stalled, and headed straight down. Disengaged AP, and finally got it flying about 500 AGL, but no elevator control. Restarted flight, did walk around again, everything looked normal, maintenace hangar said I was good to go, still no elevator control. I did complete overhaul, and now everything is working. 8)
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

No fun when Poltergeist get into your airplane and you can't figure it out! A trip to the maintenance hanger for an overhaul or maybe an Exorcism on your airplane is in order. I hate it when the preflight or going to the maintenance hanger doesn't give you a clue what the problem is and you have to resort to a complete overhaul to fix the problem. Oh well, better safe than sorry!

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Gremlins, old boy; Gremlins. Sneaky beggars!!

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to read this stuff is still being discovered by people, we put a lot of work into the randomness and making sure not every customer will experience issues whilst other might get a real lemon and making sure you can still potentially fly hundreds if not a thousand hours without a single issue other than standard TBO times etc.

With CPU's you get the silicon lottery, guess we have the Accu-sim lottery :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”