some digital poltergeist

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
einherz
Master Sergeant

some digital poltergeist

Post by einherz »

that's gone after pc restart. i had 2tb free space, then delete some movies, because all 2tb gone, but then something eat 3tb lol, so something eats all disk space, and that's not the system drive, that's place where i download everything kind media and distributives... what the hell that was?
Attachments
2024-02-19_075141.png
2024-02-19_075141.png (18.55 KiB) Viewed 223 times
rank is not classified airman - forum's engine glitch(again!)

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Re: some digital poltergeist

Post by Adam_NZ »

einherz wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 01:34 that's gone after pc restart. i had 2tb free space, then delete some movies, because all 2tb gone, but then something eat 3tb lol, so something eats all disk space, and that's not the system drive, that's place where i download everything kind media and distributives... what the hell that was?
Hibernation file(s) maybe? Get a free copy of CCleaner and let it do a cleanup. I think the paid version may give you more features/control, but the free version may at least tell what's going on.
--
Image--Image

einherz
Master Sergeant

Post by einherz »

hi, hibernation disabled from first day i install windows, same as uac and system restore probably something else, i don't remember everything:) that's craziness gone after restart pc. i had never even close to stuff like this... something just ate disk to 0 and did it constantly till restart. and that's even don't system disk, i just download files there. that's was noticed when i downloaded some movies by torrent. first i see torrents red "no disk space" then i watch in total commander and found no space on the drive, then i thought, whooh probably there wasn't 2tb, and delete some movies for resume download, then downloading stop again with same red notice, and then i get it, something not right, and then i download malwarebytes, didn't find any connect to this problem. and then i restart, and now all ok... i think something glitch with torrent client. when that thing download some it's always prepare certain drive space for certain file, so probably, by some reason that session was wrong and that stuff prepared drive space without file size limitation. i think. but stuff like that, could be appear before? i use pc from ~94 past century... never saw that.
thank you for remembering me about ccleaner, i have use some other reg cleaners, but didn't do that very very long time, probably something happens with torrent, but any way is not bad idea to clean reg that i didn't do too long i guess.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

You may find SpaceSniffer useful as well.

-Esa

einherz
Master Sergeant

Post by einherz »

thank you
p.s. that sniffer cool:) i found the more i had use pc the less watch what's going on. in past windows lives i had so many different things. now just playing, watch movies, and use some soft that's don't connect to windows structure. however after install windows i do some cleaning from stuff i don't need, like anti-virus, uac, hibernation, system restore... i remember in other systems i disabled something else, dep or and something... just to minimize any frictions, that's will interfere with gaming process:)

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

einherz wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 05:15that's was noticed when i downloaded some movies by torrent. first i see torrents red "no disk space" then i watch in total commander and found no space on the drive, then i thought, whooh probably there wasn't 2tb, and delete some movies for resume download, then downloading stop again with same red notice, and then i get it, something not right, and then i download malwarebytes, didn't find any connect to this problem. and then i restart, and now all ok... i think something glitch with torrent client. when that thing download some it's always prepare certain drive space for certain file
I think (depending on the torrent client you use) it might have an option to pre-allocate the total space for the file - even if nothing actually gets downloaded in the end. Usually, if you remove the torrent from the list you get an option to delete all the files concerning that particular item.
--
Image--Image

einherz
Master Sergeant

Post by einherz »

interesting. i will look. long time shifted utornet to qbit. but that situation was first time... thank you
p.s. i found the settings. interesting it wasn't set. probably i have to change it...
Attachments
2024-02-20_034328.png
2024-02-20_034328.png (5.08 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

einherz wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 20:31 p.s. i found the settings. interesting it wasn't set. probably i have to change it...
I also use qBittorrent and don't have that setting ticked either ... BUT .. I've always suspected that it ignores this setting and writes a full-size dummy file anyway. Worth a test, I think.
--
Image--Image

einherz
Master Sergeant

Post by einherz »

whatever that was, that's was once and after long time using with no problems. i set this option on for now. i think that's was some accident with some memory conflict or something like that, some very rare error, which could do that. in any way it's was fixed just by restart pc

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”