IMPORTANT: Check your controller sensitivities

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
smokeyupahead
Staff Sergeant

Re: IMPORTANT: FSX Users - Check your controller sensitiviti

Post by smokeyupahead »

Always had it full right, and null zones full left.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
Cheers,
David DD

CIWS01
Senior Airman

Post by CIWS01 »

Yeah big difference after adjusting these. Feel dumb for not thinking of adjusting these sooner, only been using FS since FS2000....
Image Image
ImageImage

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Somehow I overlooked this thread and posted elsewhere in the forum (http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 30#p407662) an admonition to folks new to FSX and A2A to be sure to set the slope of the their controller response...assuming everyone used FSUIPC. Clearly they don't, and as Lewis suggests, the least complicated approach is to use the controller settings in FSX without FSUIPC.

I tried to reconstruct when and why I started using FSUIPC and conclude it was when an understanding wife and thoughtful kids gave me an embarrassment of controllers and panels. So today I have both Warthog HOTAS throttle and stick, Saitek pedals and three panels, a CH yoke, and TrackIR. And to make all that hang together conveniently I run not only FSUIPC but also LINDA and SPAD.neXt. Indeed, for me (YMMV) LINDA is the one I consider essential.

All that said, the discussion here suggests I probably should consider simplifying my system and thus my life. And for anyone new to simming I certainly would encourage that, too.
Blue skies and tailwinds

NavyGuy2007
Airman Basic

Post by NavyGuy2007 »

Does the same hold true in Prepar3d 3.2?

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

NavyGuy2007 wrote:Does the same hold true in Prepar3d 3.2?
Yes, for me anyway. Have used the full sensitivity and no null on FSX, when I had it, and with all versions of P3DV2.0 - P3DV3.2.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

BigDaddy1038
Airman Basic

Post by BigDaddy1038 »

I have to admit, I never considered the thought of going 1 tick left of max for the sensitivity.

Love the logic there; trying it later!

Michael

GavNormandale
Airman

Post by GavNormandale »

Hi, always struggled landing the 182 with the elevator so twitchy so had the sensitivity turned all the way to left, on reading this thread i turned back to the right to find myself back to heavy landings with 182.

I have read other threads on landing but slightest movement on elevator is excessive making it too hard for a controlled landing.

I decided to dive into the unknown and have a look at the config file for the aircraft, I found that the elevator effectiveness reading in the flight tuning section was set to 2, i changed this to 1 and now find landing so much more controllable. If others are still having trouble landing I suggest giving this a try.

Could be an issue with certain control methods, I am using the CH Products yolk.

Gav

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

GavNormandale wrote:Hi, always struggled landing the 182 with the elevator so twitchy so had the sensitivity turned all the way to left, on reading this thread i turned back to the right to find myself back to heavy landings with 182.

I have read other threads on landing but slightest movement on elevator is excessive making it too hard for a controlled landing.

I decided to dive into the unknown and have a look at the config file for the aircraft, I found that the elevator effectiveness reading in the flight tuning section was set to 2, i changed this to 1 and now find landing so much more controllable. If others are still having trouble landing I suggest giving this a try.

Could be an issue with certain control methods, I am using the CH Products yolk.

Gav
The aircraft cfg is set a certain way to work with our simulation engine, be careful editing it as you can invalidate the entire flight model.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

GavNormandale wrote:Hi, always struggled landing the 182 with the elevator so twitchy so had the sensitivity turned all the way to left, on reading this thread i turned back to the right to find myself back to heavy landings with 182.

Gav
Just a suggestion here but I'd be VERY careful altering the cfg file to solve an issue. In almost every case these issues do NOT involve the flight model cfg. That was coded to exact replication using the actual aircraft.
You could easily disturb the behavior of the airplane by altering the cfg file.
DH

RolandBP
Airman

Post by RolandBP »

Scott - A2A wrote:There is a pretty big thread going on at AVSIM (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/470166-a2a ... anche-250/), about our recent Accu-Sim Comanche 250 release, that has turned into a discussion on controller sensitivities. The good news is, people have almost universally discovered their flying is better with their controller sensitivities all hard RIGHT.

We discovered and posted in this thread, that these sliders aren't really "sensitivity" but a delay. The more left the sensitivity, the larger the delay, and the harder an airplane is to control, as you are forever behind the aircraft. Usually, this results in a lot of UP and DOWN behavior on flare, as you are constantly chasing the plane (like a dog chasing it's tail).

Here is a short video we made, demonstrating what this slider does. Make sure, in SETTINGS, all of your controller sensitivities are FULL RIGHT, and VERY SMALL null zones, if any.
[youtubehd1002 606]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL5gsRg2Xo4[/youtubehd]

Scott.
Brilliant - That will help with all the aircraft that come with FSX as well. Very informative.

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

What happened to the video Scott?

Neon

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

The original embedded video is still there Neon. If you can't see it, it's likely because you're viewing the forums through a secure (https) connection. More info on this can be seen here. Here's a direct link to the original video anyway: https://youtu.be/UL5gsRg2Xo4.

Cheers,
Nick

N26888
Airman

Post by N26888 »

lonewulf47 wrote:Sorry to say, but reading this thread I feel somewhat embarrassed and shocked that after more than 10 years of unchanged controller behaviour (FS9 and FSX are the same, I don't remember previous versions) people are still not aware of the importance of this controller setting. Funny enough people make spectacular screenshots of their planes from ever possible and impossible angle but obvioulsy never take the time to properly LOOK at their plane ! Anyway it confirms an old wisdom that in most of all complaints the REAL problem is sitting some 30 inches in front of the screen.... :D :D

I agree... that's why we learn something new everyday !

curt1
Airman First Class

Post by curt1 »

Just curious, would this same advice apply to P3Dv4? I would think so but thought I'd ask anyway.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes the slowness setting is present.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”