Repaint requests

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
Tol3458
A2A Test Pilot

Re: Some nice Comanche paints.

Post by Tol3458 »

G-BJPS wrote:Guys, how come most of the U.S. Registered Comanche's I've seen so far have a letter 'P' at the end? Scott's included. Just a Piper thing?

John.

Yes, it is a Piper thing. The Comanche singles all ended in Papa; the twins all in Yankee. Moreover, you can figure the aircraft's approximate year of manufacture by the number after the "N" The initial runs in 57-58 were N5_ _ _ P. The years '59-61 were N6 _ _ _P, '62-63, N7 _ _ _P, and so on, until the factory closed in 1972.

Tom LeC

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

This one looks outrageous too :lol:

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by Dogsbody55 on 18 Jun 2015, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Tol3458 wrote:
G-BJPS wrote:Guys, how come most of the U.S. Registered Comanche's I've seen so far have a letter 'P' at the end? Scott's included. Just a Piper thing?

John.

Yes, it is a Piper thing. The Comanche singles all ended in Papa; the twins all in Yankee. Moreover, you can figure the aircraft's approximate year of manufacture by the number after the "N" The initial runs in 57-58 were N5_ _ _ P. The years '59-61 were N6 _ _ _P, '62-63, N7 _ _ _P, and so on, until the factory closed in 1972.

Tom LeC
Thanks Tom :) always wondered how the American Reg's were worked out.....and I take it the American reg 'N' stands for North America? Standard.

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Tol3458
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Tol3458 »

A couple of my favs

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I've short listed this one for my first:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Tol3458
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Tol3458 »

Definitely a unique Comanche paint job

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Piper-PA ... da00142ffc

Tol3458
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Tol3458 »

G-BJPS wrote:
Tol3458 wrote:

John.

Tom LeC
Thanks Tom :) always wondered how the American Reg's were worked out.....and I take it the American reg 'N' stands for North America? Standard.

John.

Rogah that

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

I just love red on planes!

Lots of great possible paints here muwhahah! :twisted:

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

[quote="Tol3458"]A couple of my favs

I hope someone will paint this. It's gorgeous. :D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

So many great repaint opportunities for this beautiful aircraft! Here's one paint scheme I really like.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

G-BJPS wrote:Thanks Tom :) always wondered how the American Reg's were worked out.....and I take it the American reg 'N' stands for North America? Standard.

John.
Actually John, it's not so much "how it works" as how Piper decided to do it. In the US you can reserve any currently unused registration as long as it meets the format (1-3 numbers, 0-2 letters, no more than 5 characters total, no "O" and no "I" since too easy to confuse with 0 and 1). Back in the 1960s, Piper chose to reserve blocks of registrations as described above for its airplanes. It had a block for all its productions, as did Cessna, Beech, and all the other manufacturers. The Airlines had their own as well.

Also, the "N" doesn't stand for anything in particular, it was just what the US Government had decided on for its government radio stations years prior while reserving "K" and "W" for civilian radio stations positioned West and East of the Mississippi River respectively. But why "K" and "W"? There's no documentation that says definitively, so it appears it was just arbitrary, much as the "N".

Also, remember that "G" is not the only letter that Great Britain got. It also got B and M, now used for China and Isle of Man respectively. Great Britain was actually "K" originally prior to the 1909 International Air Navigation Convention for "United Kingdom", but conflicts with the US Radio Station designation and its use in civil radio elsewhere resulted in "K" being removed from use completely in Air Navigation and Registration.

More - https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... r_history/

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

I can tell the Comanche is going to be a favorite of mine just for the amazing period/retro liveries alone! Even the included ones shown in the A2A video and FB page are fantastic.

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

CAPFlyer wrote:
G-BJPS wrote:Thanks Tom :) always wondered how the American Reg's were worked out.....and I take it the American reg 'N' stands for North America? Standard.

John.
Actually John, it's not so much "how it works" as how Piper decided to do it. In the US you can reserve any currently unused registration as long as it meets the format (1-3 numbers, 0-2 letters, no more than 5 characters total, no "O" and no "I" since too easy to confuse with 0 and 1). Back in the 1960s, Piper chose to reserve blocks of registrations as described above for its airplanes. It had a block for all its productions, as did Cessna, Beech, and all the other manufacturers. The Airlines had their own as well.

Also, the "N" doesn't stand for anything in particular, it was just what the US Government had decided on for its government radio stations years prior while reserving "K" and "W" for civilian radio stations positioned West and East of the Mississippi River respectively. But why "K" and "W"? There's no documentation that says definitively, so it appears it was just arbitrary, much as the "N".

Also, remember that "G" is not the only letter that Great Britain got. It also got B and M, now used for China and Isle of Man respectively. Great Britain was actually "K" originally prior to the 1909 International Air Navigation Convention for "United Kingdom", but conflicts with the US Radio Station designation and its use in civil radio elsewhere resulted in "K" being removed from use completely in Air Navigation and Registration.

More - https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... r_history/
Hey thanks for the info CAPFlyer :D interesting stuff, I didn't know that about the UK reg's either.

Cheers fella.

John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Sorry, saw a minor error in my previous post. The format is - 1-5 numbers, 0-2 letter, and no more than 5 characters total. Love it when I don't find the big errors when proof-reading a post.

fedemalfu
Airman

Post by fedemalfu »

Would any of the repaints from this forum be willing to repaint an Argentinian based Comanche?

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”