What happens if you accidentally leave the fuel pump on ?

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

What happens if you accidentally leave the fuel pump on ?

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,

QUESTION 1:
Was wondering what would happen if you accidentally leave the fuel pump on all the time. By that I mean for 2-3 hours throughout the entire flight.

Specifically what would happen

a. in reality on a real Commanche 250
b. what happens in accu-sim Commanche

I do understand the answers to a and b might be the same because of the accuracy of accu-sim.
Sure I can safely assume it might "fail" or "break" in some way and hence not work but I would like a more concrete answer from real pilots / engineers / experienced simmers if I may.

QUESTION 2:
When switching from tip tanks to main tanks, do you need the fuel pump on during the switching ? or do you just switch over with the tank selector and there is always fuel flow to the engine ? (unless you're on a climb or something).

Extra information
Yes I have read the manual :D
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Orlaam
Senior Airman

Re: What happens if you accidentally leave the fuel pump on

Post by Orlaam »

In this plane, most likely scenario would be vapor lock, and then the obvious wear and tear. Not sure if it's modeled in accu-sim or not.
Chris J.

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU | Windows & Pro 64 bit | FSX:SE

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: What happens if you accidentally leave the fuel pump on

Post by AKar »

There should be no noticeable, immediate effects for the fuel pump usage. A clue to that is the takeoff procedure, that tells you to put the pump on for takeoff. Some aircraft, such as the 182T if picking an example from the A2A fleet, specifically want to have your booster off. This has to do with it overpowering the full-rich mixture setting, maybe resulting in noticeable power loss (the manual only quotes a "very minor enrichment" in this case). For example, certain fuel-injected Continental engines can even flood and quit with use of high setting of the booster pump at inappropriate times.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”