RNAV

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Zentiger
Airman

RNAV

Post by Zentiger »

I am a newbie teaching myself and trying to practice RNAV approaches using a GTN 750 with the C182. Example RWY 24/ @KILM. (Wilmington,NC). The frequency 110.30. All seems to work fine in terms of runway alignment. I just cannot catch the glide slope to get the plane to descend like with ILS. I am expecting the wrong outcome? On the Autopilot , I have set APR. Should I just keep it on NAV, with the CDI activated to GPS? Hope this is not too much detail!
Thank for any comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: RNAV

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Zentiger,

RNAV (GPS) approaches are independent of ground based navaids, so I'm just wondering whether it's actually the RNAV approach you have loaded, or the ILS approach since you mention the ILS frequency of 110.30.

Can you tell us the exact name of the approach you selected at KILM using the GTN 750? If you wish to fly the RNAV approach, you should be selecting "RNAV 24 GPS LPV" from the approach list. (You'll need to scroll down two pages to see it.)

If you're using one of the "ILS 24" approaches instead, the default nav database for FSX/P3D doesn't include this ILS which would explain the lack of vertical guidance.

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Is it the Flight1 or RXP version of the GTN you have installed?

Zentiger
Airman

Post by Zentiger »

Thank you! I am using the F1 GTN. Seems to work fine and I am using the proper RNAV selection. I will look into this further as you suggest. There always is that “one little thing” I did not check. There could be a data base issue to- and this will stop my compulsive behavior in solving this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay - if you have any further problems with this one Zentiger, it may be worth sharing a screenshot or two to illustrate how the GTN is configured. The CDI mode should indeed be set to "GPS", and "APR" mode should be selected on the autopilot if flying an RNAV approach. For the approach in question, "LPV" should be shown at the bottom of the approach in question when it's activated.

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”