trim setting on C172 and C182

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
level135.lp
Airman

trim setting on C172 and C182

Post by level135.lp »

Hello,

I have read a post about the strange behave of the Cessna 172, when she is trimed on take off position, climbing straight to the sky until she stall.
I have the same issue on both C172 and C182 and even if you say that some Cessna behave like that in real life, I believe if a plane would behave so in the real life,
she would never pass through the federal approval tests.

I can't remenber if I get this very strange behave in FSX or P3D v2.5, even if I flew hundreds hours with the C172 taht i bought soon she was available on A2A website,
so I realy think there is a problem with the last version of these planes.

Another thing, I'm neverable to light on the DME button on the Bendix stack, why ?

Happy Christmas

Regards

Luc
:a2awhite:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: trim setting on C172 and C182

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Luc,

yes this is correct behaviour, the C172 wants to fly, remember the aircraft are to be piloted, if you are hands off during takeoff, the issue isnt with the aircraft. Make sure you fly the aircraft, and not the other way around.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Luc,

One thing to bear in mind is that the 172 will want to pitch up more aggressively during take-off when the optional "S equivalent" prop is fitted. However, with the standard prop fitted and the aircraft properly trimmed, the nose down pitch inputs required after take-off to maintain VX should be rather small.
level135.lp wrote:Another thing, I'm neverable to light on the DME button on the Bendix stack, why ?
Yeah, there does seem to be a longstanding bug with the DME ident button in the 182. (It's discussed here for example.) However, you can use Ctrl + 4 as a workaround to activate the button, though bear in mind the limitations discussed in the linked thread.

Thanks,
Nick

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Luc,

The 172R and 182T have almost the opposite behavior in takeoff.

The 172R's we first tested, took off with authority and required some forward yoke pressure or re-trimming for an 80kt climb. Like you, we were skeptical so we rented a 2nd 172R from a different school and had the identical results. I even called a third flight school out of state and spoke with an instructor who flies a 172R and he didn't know, so he flew later that day and got back to me confirming the same rapid lift off behavior. The interesting thing is, like him, nobody notices this when flying the real 172R because of the yoke forces. As a pilot, when you feel the forces change, you subconsciously either apply pressure to maintain your pitch or trim. In the sim, since most don't fly with force feedback, instead of a gradually building force and subconscious re-correction, we "see" the plane pitch up. This is a big difference. However, if you do take off with the 172 with full tanks and a 170lb pilot and don't touch the yoke, leaving the throttle full, it will pitch up abruptly and eventually get very slow, but it shouldn't stall. This makes me think there may be a calibration issue with your controller.

If your Accu-Sim 182 is also taking off quickly on it's own without back pressure, that is very much not right. The 182T we test flew stayed planted on the runway until well over 100kts if no yoke back pressure was applied before. Again, what is interesting is 182T pilots also are not aware of this (they don't just let the plane barrel down the runway at crazy speeds without rotating).

But regarding your controller setup, take a close look at your elevator and trim outside the plane with all controls neutral and see if you see some elevator up rather than neutral.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

level135.lp
Airman

Post by level135.lp »

Hello everybody,

As I was not satisfied of the first answer I received, I decided to paste and copy the C182.air file of the one who is installed in P3D V2.5 to the C182 installed in PD3 V4.1.
What happened ? I recover a normal behaviour, when I trim my plane just slightly over the take off mark, she take off by herself gently and climb gently aswell without trying to catch the moon.
I know we can have subconscious correction, in real life, coming with experience, but when you have to set the trim near full down and you still climb verticaly,
I guess there is an issue.

So, I really think that the P3D V4 version of the C182 is bugged. As I said in my first post, the farmer version (FSX and P3D V2) of both C172 and C182 didn't behave that way at all, even if as you say, Scott, C172 and C182 have an opposite behavior.

I gonna try the same thing on both C172 installed in V2.5 and v4.

Sorry for my approximativ english. I hope my explainations were clear enough.

Regards

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

that file is not changed too much between P3D versions so I can only guess your original you have maybe tried to edit and cause corruption or it has occurred elsewhere but either way moving the file you noted should have no affect on the sim. So the issue would point elsewhere.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

level135.lp
Airman

Post by level135.lp »

Hello Lewis,
I'm not able to edit an air file, and I didn't do anything like that. I only tried to see if copying a file from a plane doing well to another doing strangely. And it works fine.
That's The only thing I've done.

Luc

level135.lp
Airman

Post by level135.lp »

Hello,

I realy had an issue with the C172. I unistalled her and delete all remaining files I was able to find and after a new instalation, everything return to normal.
My C172 is flyable again now.
I don't know what was going wrong, maybe some files which wasn't erase when applying an update.

But I'm glad to have found an issue to be able to take pleasure to fly this sympatic A2A plane.

Regards

Luc

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”