ADF, digit after decimal?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

ADF, digit after decimal?

Post by B-17 Flier »

Is there a way to tune and ADF to the right of the decimal?

At EGHI there's an ADF with the frequency of 391.5 but I can't tune it to nothing other than 391 or 392

Thanks.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: ADF, digit after decimal?

Post by Jacques »

Isn't this possible in the 2D popup window for the radios? (shift + 6, I think?)

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Jacques wrote:Isn't this possible in the 2D popup window for the radios? (shift + 6, I think?)
I never use the 2D's, is it possible to do it in the VC?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

B-17 Flier wrote:I never use the 2D's, is it possible to do it in the VC?
'Fraid not Paul - just because that's not how the real unit works.

Nick

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:
B-17 Flier wrote:I never use the 2D's, is it possible to do it in the VC?
'Fraid not Paul - just because that's not how the real unit works.

Nick
Thanks Nick. How would they tune an NDB like that in real life then?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

B-17 Flier wrote:Thanks Nick. How would they tune an NDB like that in real life then?
Think of an analogue music radio station Paul. You don't have to be tuned precisely to one specific frequency to listen; instead it'll be detectable over a certain range of the radio spectrum. The NDB is a radio transmitter too so the same principal applies meaning that in the real world, it's possible to successfully tune the navaid without dialling in the exact published frequency.

FSX/P3D doesn't model this characteristic, so to pick up a virtual navaid, we need to tune its frequency precisely. Hence the need to use the 2-D panel workaround in this case.

Cheers,
Nick

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:
B-17 Flier wrote:Thanks Nick. How would they tune an NDB like that in real life then?
Think of an analogue music radio station Paul. You don't have to be tuned precisely to one specific frequency to listen; instead it'll be detectable over a certain range of the radio spectrum. The NDB is a radio transmitter too so the same principal applies meaning that in the real world, it's possible to successfully tune the navaid without dialling in the exact published frequency.

FSX/P3D doesn't model this characteristic, so to pick up a virtual navaid, we need to tune its frequency precisely. Hence the need to use the 2-D panel workaround in this case.

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks Nick, that's a shame, so much for "real as it gets", I wonder if they'll ever get it right at LM and focus on real things like this instead of eye candy. Such is life.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

B-17 Flier wrote:I wonder if they'll ever get it right at LM and focus on real things like this instead of eye candy. Such is life.
Yeah, I have to admit that for a training and "not for consumer entertainment" platform, it's surprising to see things like dynamic reflections being added in Prepar3D. Nice as they may be, I can't see too much training value in 'em! :mrgreen:

Nick

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Nick M wrote:
B-17 Flier wrote:I wonder if they'll ever get it right at LM and focus on real things like this instead of eye candy. Such is life.
Yeah, I have to admit that for a training and "not for consumer entertainment" platform, it's surprising to see things like dynamic reflections being added in Prepar3D. Nice as they may be, I can't see too much training value in 'em! :mrgreen:

Nick
Totally agree.

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

Good news if you are using fsuipc. From its manual:

"AutoTuneADF: This controls an option to ‘auto-tune’ the ADF radio. If this is enabled, when FSUIPC detects no NDB signal being
received it alternates the fractional part of the ADF frequency between .0 and .5 every seven seconds or so. This allows external
cockpits built with only whole-number ADF radio facilities to be used in areas like the U.K. which have many NDB frequencies
ending in .5."

This means that if you select 335 and fsuipc detects there is no ndb signal, it will internally change to 335.5 to see if there is signal.
If not, it goes to 335 again... and so on.

I have not tested in fsuipc 5 and prepar3dv4. If it doesnt work, a Lua script can be programed to do exactly the same. Or better... You can select 335 and the script could look from 334 to 336, with 0.5 increments, for example.

Arturo.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

alioth wrote:Good news if you are using fsuipc. From its manual:

"AutoTuneADF: This controls an option to ‘auto-tune’ the ADF radio (...)
Arturo,

This setting tends to cause issues with the ADF frequency transfer as described here. A bit more discussion of this setting can be found in this thread.

Thanks,
Nick

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

Oppss!

It works for me. But I set the frequency direct with a lua script, that reads the knobs positions of a real adf unit. So, a complete different history.

Sorry for confusing things.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No problem at all - this setting might still be useful depending on how one uses the ADF. Definitely pays to be aware of the side effects though. :P

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”