Can't get rid of the RED NAV flag on the HSI. Cessna 182 Sky

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Can't get rid of the RED NAV flag on the HSI. Cessna 182 Sky

Post by a2a-barriemacleod »

Good-Day !

I'm new here.. Just purchased Cessna 182 Skylane. Need to use the HSI.
I've checked the 525 manual for a solution {the 5 causes} and a lot of threads on here..
Can't get rid of the Red Nav flag on the HSI which I need to practice for my IFR.
I'm simply trying to navigate to a VOR... {to start a hold..}

I'm running P3D version3. Suprisingly it works perfectly on P3D V4 !? but
I need certain programs on V3 for now ...

I have the correct VOR frequency. Tried several...
The Ident signal doesn't come through either ...
The heading bug and course needle works and so does the integrated compass.
The nav/gps button is on NAV...
The NAV2 VOR gauge works fine using the same VOR frequency but I need
the VOR/LOC/RNAV deviation Bar to work on the HSI... ???

It is probably something simple or something I don't understand but I just can't
figure it out ??? Been working on it for 2 days now :(

Any help/hints are appreciated ..

Cheers !

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Can't get rid of the RED NAV flag on the HSI. Cessna 182

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello and welcome! :)

Probably the best bet for troubleshooting an issue like this is if you can share a screenshot, showing the panel and avionics configuration when the NAV flag is visible. (Some tips on adding images to your post can be found here.) Please can you also give us a specific example of a VOR or localizer you've tried to tune? For testing, it might be easiest to just park on a runway with an ILS and tune that frequency into NAV1.

Please can you also let us know if you've any other software installed (such as third-party GPS products) which may be relevant.

Final thing to check for now: have you run the latest Accu-Sim update on your P3DV3 installation?

Thanks,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Yes since you mention its a new install I would ask if you have run the latest Accu-sim updater before any troubleshooting just to make sure you are all updated.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Good-Day !

Thanks for responding... :)
Here goes...

Having reviewed many posts here I updated using A2Aupdate_04_13_17.zip....
I also tried the procedure where they set the avionics to defaults, turn the radios off and then put back the avionics you want... couldn't get that one to work either ?

As for additional software I'm using F1TG530E {ie: the enterprise version but I also tried with their F1TG530 {software only version} . They seem to work correctly but it's the HSI I would like to work with. Just to be clear ... The HSI should work without any additional software , no ?? Part of my scheme is assuming the GPS failed and I'm using the HSI as a backup.. {as per flight school}...
I also need to use the HSI to practice holds.. Anyhow I'm attaching the f1gtn.ini files {photo} as I also read a thread about that one....

Here are some photos...
Here's the approach.. and comms.. To be noted.. The Nav2 is working correctly !! Upper right steam gauge... In this example I'm using the ILS but I really just want to use a VOR. Same problem both cases. Somebody isn't talking to the HSI ??
http://barriemacleod.com/1-2017/A2A/approach.JPG

F1GTN.ini file... {I'm no expert here ?}
http://barriemacleod.com/1-2017/A2A/f1gtn.JPG

Note here !!
My FIP gauge sees the ILS perfectly also ??? whereas the HSI is still RED ! ??
http://barriemacleod.com/1-2017/A2A/IMG_2397.JPG

Here's my GPS but like I say.. it's not my priority ... it doesnt seem to have any problems.
http://barriemacleod.com/1-2017/A2A/gps.JPG

Here's the mini controls.. I've tried multiple combos ? With GPS on and off..
Even with Avionics OFF {as per another thread..}
I try and keep DAMAGE OFF as I've noticed the avionics power sometimes flashes on and off ?
Damage keeps comign back on though ?
http://barriemacleod.com/1-2017/A2A/mini.JPG

Here's the radio panel.. large photo , you need to scroll to the right...
http://barriemacleod.com/1-2017/A2A/panel.JPG

Radios....
http://barriemacleod.com/1-2017/A2A/radios.JPG

Driving me a tad insane... hoping someone can spot an obvious problem ?
Like I say , the 182 HSI works great on P3D V4 ... but the F1GTN's don't work
so I have to use P3D V3...

Thanks again !

a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Also using Spad Next 0.9.6.25
Also Fxflight for ForeFlight...
I de-installed the A2A C172 ... just in case ... ?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for all the info: this could be quite a tricky one to unpick, as you've got quite a lot going on there! :o

Perhaps the main thing to start with is to establish which GPS product is in use, and how you've integrated it. You mention both F1 GTNs and the "G530" and one of your shots indeed shows the GNS 530. However, you've shown the *.ini file for the GTN. :? Can you just confirm if it's only the F1 GNS 530 you're trying to use here?

The F1 GNS units aren't officially supported (yet) by A2A, but I understand they should work okay, given a bit of manual panel.cfg editing.
a2a-barriemacleod wrote:Like I say , the 182 HSI works great on P3D V4 ... but the F1GTN's don't work so I have to use P3D V3...
Incidentally, since the release of Flight 1's "complete edition" for both the GNS and GTN product lines, they are both compatible with P3DV4.

Thanks,
Nick

a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Question... ?

Flight 1's "complete edition" for both the GNS and GTN product lines...

When I look at the link it says 650 and 750 ... but are you saying compatible
with the GNS 530 ? If so that would solve my problem by using P3D V4 ?

THks !

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

a2a-barriemacleod wrote:When I look at the link it says 650 and 750 ... but are you saying compatible with the GNS 530 ? If so that would solve my problem by using P3D V4 ?
Here are the links to the products in question: GNS Complete Series: GNS 530/430 and GTN Complete Series: GTN 650/750. Both are compatible with P3DV4, but as I mentioned, the GNS isn't officially supported by A2A yet. This means their "aircraft configurator" doesn't allow it to be added to the virtual cockpit.

Cheers,
Nick

a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Ouch... ok things are getting complicated ... ;) {for me..}

Let's try to simplify ... is it possible to get the HSI working without any GPS's ?
Like , shouldn't the HSI work on it's own just by using the proper VOR frequency ?
{like it does on P3D V4 ...}

Or are you saying the GNS/GTN's insert new problems ?

:)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

a2a-barriemacleod wrote:Let's try to simplify ... is it possible to get the HSI working without any GPS's ? Like , shouldn't the HSI work on it's own just by using the proper VOR frequency ?
Yes, of course it should and it's probably best to start troubleshooting without any add-on GPS products installed to the 182. :) In your case though, you seem to have quite a bit of external software interfaced to P3D and the 182, including at least one third-party GPS. If (for instance) two GPS add-ons are sending conflicting CDI commands to the HSI, this could explain your issue.
a2a-barriemacleod wrote:Or are you saying the GNS/GTN's insert new problems ?
So yeah, they can, if they're not interfaced properly.

As mentioned above, if you can clarify which GPS add-on(s) you have connected to the 182, it will be really helpful.

Thanks,
Nick

a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Sorry...

Yes I would like to interface with the F1 GNS 530.
{IF possible I would like to be able to turn it off to simulate
a GPS failure ? Mind you this is NOT critical... only the HSI is important...
at this stage :)} If the F1 GNS 530 also works it is not a problem...

I'm really not sure how the GTN750/GTN650 got into that config files
except I did purchase a plane with those options... unless forces an entry ?

Thanks again !

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks - that's good. It sounded a bit like you had both GNS and GTN talking to the 182! :wink:

I can't help much with the interfacing of the F1 GNS as I don't own the product. Because A2A don't currently support it (it's quite a new product) they won't have created a customised *.ini file for it. (I think that's why there's a *.ini file for the GTN; it's because it's put there by A2A any case customers install the GTN, which is currently supported.)

In terms if troubleshooting the HSI NAV flag, it's probably best if you can disconnect / disable as much external software as possible then re-test. I don't think there are any simulated failures which could account for this (circuit breakers and so on) so I'd guess it's an installation/interface issue of some kind. It does sound like something is a bit screwy with your set-up when you say...
a2a-barriemacleod wrote:I try and keep DAMAGE OFF as I've noticed the avionics power sometimes flashes on and off ? Damage keeps comign back on though ? :)
...Perhaps something else (either hardware or software) is sending commands to the sim. :?

Cheers,
Nick

a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Ok, thanks for the feedback Nick !

I'm starting the slow process of debugging....
I have longer term plans to rebuild with a new PC but no time for that right now
as my IFR studies are more important.

I've turned spad.next off {as a test } ... this seems to have stopped the power on/off
condition for the GPS and radios... sometimes they would stay off for a
long period ?

I've installed the new GNS Complete Series: GNS 530/430 and GTN Complete Series:
GNS530 working fine and the GNS no longer powers itself off since spad.next is not being used...

In GPS mode , the HSI works fine...
Nav2/VOR2 works fine... Both VOR1/2 have the same frequency.
In VLOC mode the HSI red flag comes back ?
Haven't figured that one out yet ... but another question ...

Is it possible to configure the HSI to use NAV2 ? instead of NAV1
as a temporary fix ?

Thanks again :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

a2a-barriemacleod wrote:In GPS mode , the HSI works fine...
Nav2/VOR2 works fine... Both VOR1/2 have the same frequency.
In VLOC mode the HSI red flag comes back ?
Hmm - is this still in P3DV3 or did you install the new GNS/GTN units in V4? Bearing in mind your earlier comment about the lack of morse ident for NAV1, it sounds as if the NAV1 radio is effectively 'failed'; not that there's any problem with the HSI itself.

I wonder, have you checked the P3D failures menu to make sure something isn't going on there? At any rate, this seems to be the only way I can reproduce the behaviour you describe...

(RealityXP GNS 530 in this case, but even though it appears to work properly, with NAV1 'failed' HSI NAV flag appears.)

If not the default P3D failures, do you have any other software which is able to 'fail' systems such as radios?
a2a-barriemacleod wrote:Is it possible to configure the HSI to use NAV2 ? instead of NAV1
as a temporary fix ?
No - I think NAV1 is wired to the HSI at a software level, so not something you or I can change.

One other question: do you load a default P3D aircraft in the sim before you switch to the A2A 182?

Thanks,
Nick

a2a-barriemacleod
Airman

Good-Day !

Thanks for your comments as they are helping to zero
in on the problem....

-The GNS/GTN units were loaded on both P3DV3 and P3Dv4....
They work on both...

-There are no programmed failures on V3... and V4 doesn't have the failure menu {that I can see anywhere?}

-For Version3 it appears that NAV1 doesn't work for any plane ! !!!!
{I never noticed that because I normally use a GPS which does work on Nav1}...
In any case this kills the debugging for V3 {for now}.. since there seems to be an internal Nav1 problem ???

-The Morse code works on V4 and so does the HSI... and does the GNS530... but I have
to run it without Spad.Next which kiils my FIPS and my radios..{well all Saitek accessories} I can set the radios though with
my mouse but I still need at least one FIP to easily change the Heading Bug and the Course
Selector Knob as I'm doing multiple "holds" ...

{-Yeah, your photo looks exactly like my situation..}

""do you load a default P3D aircraft in the sim before you switch to the A2A 182?""

Hmmm, no .... I don't think I ever used one of their planes yet except maybe their
default on my first boot up .... I copied most planes from FSX and I mostly use the
standard Microsoft C172... because that's what I fly... I play around with other
planes but never the P3D's ? Should I load one first before the A2A 182 ?

Cheers !

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”