Multi PC, six-monitor VC setup with Videview - HELP needed

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
lcheagle
Airman Basic

Multi PC, six-monitor VC setup with Videview - HELP needed

Post by lcheagle »

Hi Guys,

Firstly, thank you for developing such great products for flight sim enthusiasts like me. A VERY good job indeed.

Now my question. I’ve been using your C172 and C182 in FSX SE in a single computer with one big monitor setup flawlessly for some time. Now, I’m working on a new more complex virtual cockpit setup (pls see attached picture) that consists of:

(a) Six 24-inch monitors arranged in two rows of three monitors each.
(b) The lower row shows the 3D cockpit's instrument panel and is driven by a master computer running the actual simulation (FSX SE). It receives my yoke, throttle, etc. inputs and also reacts to any event I initiate on the virtual cockpit depicted in the lower row. No scenery is shown here since the eye point is set to only show the instrument panel.
(c) The upper row only depicts the top portion of the virtual cockpit (from the glareshield) as seen from the pilot’s eyes (i.e. windshield and windows) and it is exclusively used for sceneries as seen from the VC. This row is perfectly aligned with the lower row to show an immersive view as you were in a 3x3 VC and obviously this is just a dummy visual model that complements my lower row. For doing this, a slave computer (FSX SE) running a Wideview client drives the upper row by receiving data from a VideView server running on the master computer.

I purchased two additional licenses of your C182 and C172 but I learned the hard way these aircrafts’ internal models are quite complex and they do not get along well with Videview clients. In this configuration I just get random shaky movements out of sync with the Master computer.

Using a dummier aircraft with a different VC design really diminishes what I’m trying to achieve, as you might understand.

My question is: It’s possible for me to somehow get just the internal MDL for the C182 and C172 I can integrate within a less complex aircraft? This way I think it might be possible to get the final visual effect I’m trying to obtain.

Thanks a lot,

LuisR

P.S. I initially posted this in the incorrect forum and I couldn't delete it. http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 20&t=60868

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Multi PC, six-monitor VC setup with Videview - HELP need

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Luis,

I'm not part of A2A and I'm not even totally sure I understand your query (no personal experience of multi-monitor setups or WidevieW I'm afraid). However, it seems you've got two copies of the 182 installed in two copies of FSX-SE on two separate PCs, one of which is 'slaved' to provide just the visuals for the windows, roof, wings and so on for your home cockpit build? However, this slaving isn't very successful in WidevieW due to some conflict between the two A2A installations?

If this is the case, and if you just need the visual model and textures for the upper row of monitors, I wonder if removing all the A2A gauges and modules (DLL files) from the slaved installation will do the trick?

Perhaps try selectively removing files, starting with the "A2A_Accusim.dll" and associated folders from your slaved dummy visual model. Other files to try removing would be the "A2A" folder in the FSX root, and perhaps the DLLs that are in the "panel" folders for the 182.

Not sure if this will work, and even if it does, there are bound to be some limitations such as missing cockpit vibrations in the dummy visual model; maybe worth a try though...

Cheers,
Nick

lcheagle
Airman Basic

Post by lcheagle »

Hi Nick,

You understood very well what I want to do here. It seems that Accu-SIm is in charge of performing some part of the simulation that the old FSX's engine does not do. I tried removing that dll on my slave machine without success. I read that some people have integrated VCs on different aircrafts for different reasons (e.g. the VC of that aircraft is not very good, etc.). Based on that, I thought that maybe that could fit the bill for me. BTW, these MDL files are very obscure animals for me so I wanted to do just a copy/paste of the appropriate MDL on a default C172 and see if I can integrate both VCs without all the randomly generated movement.

This is an earlier state of my sim since these monitors are now wall-mounted using Ergotron arms/triple bow kit so there is no gap between them. But this picture is still good to get a broad idea of what I want to do.

Tanks a lot,

LuisR
Last edited by lcheagle on 28 Aug 2017, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hmm - not sure what else to suggest I'm afraid. Maybe someone with experience of a similar project will be able to chime in? However, I'm not sure you'll be able to successfully integrate the default C172 MDL file as you describe.

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. No image with your original post - there's some advice on how to include images here.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You'd be best of using a single system. A modern system, esp for FSX is more than enough to run and is a cheaper option even once you add in the beef you need for the single system setup. Even our professional clients for flight training motion certified simulations are using single system based units. The old multi-system setups have quickly started to disappear with the people we work with.

Using multi-system setup I am not sure what to suggest as some quite major editing and fiddling will be required to get it to work correctly with anything but a default based relaxed realism aircraft. I would suggest having a look at some of the other home simpits out there, like the C172 simulator here;
https://www.facebook.com/mycessnasim/

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

lcheagle
Airman Basic

Post by lcheagle »

Not sure I want to create a hybrid cockpit since I'd like to have the freedom of flying any a/c inluding PMDG airliners. That's why I don't build a physical cockpit with one system showing the sceneries and being stuck with that a/c forever because the physical instrument panel is a C172.

On the multi screen topic I'm not sure how one system will be able to run six monitors the way I like. The top and bottom rows are driven by two 1080Ti in SLI each for a total resolution of 7680x2880 consistently rendering 35+ FPS no matter what. Honestly, I feel virtual is the way to go. X-Plane supports multi-pc out of the box and let the slave systems handle their screens and the rendering configuration the way they like. Unfortunately X-Plane still lacks good airplanes IMO. On the other hand, Prepar3d v4 also supports what I want but only in the pro + version ($2.3K each license ouch!).

BTW, I was able to create a small PoC by exporting the C182's MDL into a dummy airplane. Since the top row does nothing but rendering the scenery at a very realistic setting as it would be seen through the master VC the "more relaxed airplane" should not affect the actual simulation. In fact, this worked very well by having the master system that drives the A2A C182 simulation sent the external views to the slave. However, my only problem here is the propeller is stuck in the middle of my windshield and the external textures are black.

I guess with a simpler MDL this should be perfect for anybody who is interested in setting up a compete VC like me and not building anything physically.

Anyways thanks for your help. I hope somebody in the future has the same need so we could find a better solution.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sorry you mis-understand, one power system can easily run 6 monitors with two cards as you say.

I link to other cockpit builders as virtual or hardware they all have multi-monitor as the common component, and given that the issue you are experiencing is because of two systems rather than one, you might want to talk to existing sim builders to find out how they do it. The Cessna sim I linked to has run our software, and other software on different platforms.

cheers,
Lewis

lcheagle
Airman Basic

Post by lcheagle »

Hi Lewis,

I wonder if your one-system solution involves having six independent screens in windowed mode. If so, I honestly prefer what I'm trying to do here and manage only two virtual monitors of 7680x1440 using Nvidia sourround. That way I can easily used EZdok/TRackIR to quickly move each one at will.

Now back to my question, are you aware of any technical constraint that prevents integrating on my slave system just a MDL file with the C182/C172's VCs? Like I said, my PoC is working fine but with a black propeller in the middle and that is why I hoped I could find some help here. If this problem has no solution then it has no solution but I still want to know.

Chers,

LuisR

lcheagle
Airman Basic

Post by lcheagle »

HI Nick,

I posted a pic of my sim but it's gone now. Bummer....

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It'd depend on what you want to show but trying to build a large monitor solution without using the sims inbuilt windowed using the [ ] keys and the undock system does sound like making work for yourself?

thanks,
Lewis

lcheagle
Airman Basic

Post by lcheagle »

Despite the workload/cost/time/etc. you tried to save me (thanks for that) my sim is a finished project and gladly it's working VERY well now (as you could've seen if my pic hadn't disappeared). My main constraint is space so I decided time ago and after some successful PoCs and consult with SimSamuray to go completely virtual with the setup I mentioned. My sim is a fact and not a future project.

That said, I don't agree with you and really expect to see more multi-pc/multi-monitor support on the new 64-bit simulators because it's not a matter of one system being able to handle the current load but to be able to handle much higher load demands that for sure will come. Personally, I tend to favor more distributed and flexible solutions instead of following close ecosystems that are difficult to integrate or are too tight-coupled with certain HW configurations. Anyways, I do believe this is a very interesting topic but more appropriate for a different forum.

Now back on my case. The only reason why I opened this thread was to solve a concrete problem I've faced with A2A a/c exclusively and not to design my sim around any specific product or vendor (including A2A). I also said that I worked to have a PoC that integrated the A2A's C182' MDL into a dummy A/C and this is working perfectly except for the black propeller stuck in the middle of the windshield. I guess that proves that it's possible to do what I thought but more work on the details will be needed. Unfortunately, I'm a software architect and not a 3D designer and frankly learning about MDL files decompilation/compilation etc. and 3D modeling is not at the top of my list to be honest.

Sadly my question remained unanswered I'm afraid. Never mind my friend.

Thanks a lot,

LuisR

ncngrr
Airman Basic

Post by ncngrr »

Icheagle,

I’m doing something similar to what you posted a year ago. Have you reached a viable solution?

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”