Autopilot issue to catch ILS / VOR radial

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
gpxe
Airman Basic

Autopilot issue to catch ILS / VOR radial

Post by gpxe »

Hello A2A team

I have a peculiar issue with my C182 on P3Dv4.5.

The autopilot seems to have a problem to fly the right heading to catch an ILS / a VOR radial.

Let's take a very simple example: I'm flying south-east of LIPZ (Venezia). Heading 311. 700 feet. 12 miles from LIPZ, with autopilot on HDG and ALT. No problem so far.

NAV 1 is on 109.95 (ILS 04R LIPZ). Runway heading is 40 deg.

When I press on APPR on the KAP140, HDG flashes on the autopilot annunciator for a while and then the plane starts turning LEFT (????), to something like heading 270. This is crazy.

It finally crosses the ILS beam (but much farther than expected, as you can imagine), then starts turning RIGHT, but never makes it tp heading 040. It stops at heading 010.

It's like there is a genaral offset by 30 degrees or so in everything it does.

I tried with other aircrafts and I don't have this problem. Not even with the C172 (for which the autopilot in not that great with ILS but still usable).

I have the latest version of the C182.

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Autopilot issue to catch ILS / VOR radial

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello gpxe and welcome.

The first thing we need to check here is whether you're using the directional gyro, or the optional HSI, as procedures differ slightly depending on which device is installed. If using the default DG, you need to set the heading bug to the ILS course to allow the autopilot to perform its intercept routine. Also, you need to make sure the DG has been corrected for any gyro drift, assuming you have this enabled in the P3D settings.

In your example, you need to set the heading bug to 40° when the HDG annunciation on the autopilot flashes for 5 seconds. (This is why it flashes; as a reminder to set the heading bug to the desired course.)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

gpxe
Airman Basic

Post by gpxe »

Hi Nick

Thanks for the prompt answer.

Indeed, I searched a bit more on this forum and found this article which has also proved very helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=121&t=55454&p=430118&hi ... ot#p430118

I think I use the base DG. I did proceed has per your advice and it worked out pretty well.

Your comment brings up another question though : you mention an optional HSI. Where can I get that ? I don't see any option in the configurator, except for the GPS.

Thanks

gpxe
Airman Basic

Post by gpxe »

And btw, since I have the chance to talk to someone at A2A, would it be possible to have Italian liveries for that bird, like I-STAF or I-TREE ?

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad the info helped gpxe. You can enable the HSI via the Shift 3 'Controls' panel: simply click the text towards the centre that says "Default" so that it shows "KI 525A HSI" instead.

As regards Italian repaints, a quick check of the extensive repaint list for the 182 surprisingly doesn't seem to show any. :shock: Your best bet is probably to post some pics or link to images of any liveries you're interested in this thread. We have a great community of repaint artists here, and there's always the chance that someone will be willing to take on an Italian livery.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

gpxe
Airman Basic

Post by gpxe »

Thanks Nick.

I use a very large screen, a 4K (my TV screen). So the panel windows are very tiny, and i never used them. I just edited panel.cfg to double their size. It would be cool if you could have a small utility to double the panel windows size for users with large screen.

Thanks

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

gpxe wrote: 31 Dec 2019, 07:38 It would be cool if you could have a small utility to double the panel windows size for users with large screen.
This might actually be something we retrofit to the 182 at some stage. A panel resizing feature for 4K monitor users was introduced with the Bonanza, and recently added to the 172 with an update, so we're still actively working on these older products.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”