Installation Issue - 182 Skylane

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
trevor_ledet
Airman Basic

Installation Issue - 182 Skylane

Post by trevor_ledet »

1. I have Microsoft Flight Sim Steam Edition.
2. Windows 10 64 bit Pro
3. I purchase the 182 Skylane.
4. Ran the install with steam shutdown
5. Ran the 4.2017 Core Update install.
6. Reboot, Open FSX Steam, Free Flight, No 182 Plane found.

I tried running C182 Aircraft Configurator, I get "Can't find Sim Path".
When I ran the main install it did not detect my Sim directory automatically either, I had to point it to C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX for it to install.
I had to install in c:\steam because I have REX4 Direct Texture, and they practically threaten your life if you install in Program Files (x86).

1. Why can't the install and configuration utility find my sim install path?
2. Is this why the plane is not found?

Please help I am new to Flight Sim. and Half of what I purchase I never get working and no one ever replies when I try to get support..... Hopefully A2A is different.....

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Installation Issue - 182 Skylane

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Trevor - welcome to the A2A forums. :)

The issue you describe is a bit of an odd one. The A2A Skylane installer shouldn't have any problem finding your FSX Steam installation in the directory you mention. (Prior installation of the disk version of FSX can cause issues, but I assume this isn't the case here?)

If you pointed the installer to the FSX directory, it should have installed the product nonetheless. Have you checked to see if there's an "A2A_C182" folder inside your "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes" directory?

If you've had problems with other add-ons too, it's possible there may be an issue with the registry entries for your FSX installation. (The Windows registry is generally the bit that tells installers where to put files and stuff.) Do you use any "registry cleaners" or similar applications that could have caused problems?

Another possibility is that antivirus software is 'quarantining' some files during installation. Do you have any AV software running when you install?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Maybe also worth checking it's the FSX version of the Skylane you purchased and that you didn't buy the P3D version by mistake?

trevor_ledet
Airman Basic

Post by trevor_ledet »

Thank you! for replying glad to know not every sim addon companies are just money collectors...

1. I never installed the disk version of FSX I did reinstall the steam version after a steam uninstall to the new c:\steam location from the previous location Program Files (x86)\steam and this steam directory no longer exist after uninstall
2. There is no A2A_C182 directory in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes
3. No registry cleaner I assumed the uninstalls of fsx steam, REX4 Direct Texture would have cleaned the registry itself. I did not manual clean either.
4. Yes I have AV but the quarantine bucket is empty and no AV log entry indicated blocks or quarantines.
5. I did purchase the FSX version is there any way to confirm from the downloaded installer?

This may get me somewhere, After it asked for the sim directory and I proceeded it said it will install something in "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\SimObjects" . I assumed that is where it needed to go since that was the default, it has the A2A_C182 directory. Should I uninstall and when that prompt's change the directory to C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects ?

Also is there a command line parameter for Aircraft Configurator Utility to tell it the SIM path?

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated.

trevor_ledet
Airman Basic

Post by trevor_ledet »

All good!

I reinstalled and Selected FSX directory when installing the plane and it placed it in the SimObjects you mentioned. The plane configurator works also now and the plane appears in FSX.

Thanks so much for the push in the right directions.
Still does not find sim automatically but no big deal now.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear you got it sorted. The only way the installer is not finding you sim automatically is because it sounds like you have some registry issues which is the why the installer is coming up naught when trying to check your registry for the fsx location.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Trevor - glad to hear you've successfully installed the Skylane. Don't forget to install the Accu-Sim update in the same way if you haven't already done so.

Cheers,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”