Not available for selection in P3Dv4

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Fall_guy
Airman

Not available for selection in P3Dv4

Post by Fall_guy »

Hi everyone,

Have tried to install C182 into P3Dv4 using several installation paths, however I cannot get the A2A 182 to show up in P3Dv4 change vehicle selection.

I have not run the: A2A_Update_04_13_17 tool. because it refers to a FSX installation and not P3D.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. For your info this is a completely new install on a new PC build (just P3Dv4 and A2A 182, nothing else).

Thanks in advance

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Not available for selection in P3Dv4

Post by mallcott »

Fall_guy wrote:Hi everyone,

Have tried to install C182 into P3Dv4 using several installation paths, however I cannot get the A2A 182 to show up in P3Dv4 change vehicle selection.

I have not run the: A2A_Update_04_13_17 tool. because it refers to a FSX installation and not P3D.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. For your info this is a completely new install on a new PC build (just P3Dv4 and A2A 182, nothing else).

Thanks in advance
Obvious question: Are you looking in the right place (listed in the GUI under C182)
Obvious second question: Are you installing the v4 installer or mistakenly trying to force a non-native installation?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes Mallcot is correct, first thing to ask is if you are you using the P3Dv4 C182 software or trying to use the old P3Dv3 software which is not compatible with P3Dv4.

And if using the P3Dv4 C182 are you reading the install process which has instructions for what to do. For general add-on installs into P3D you can refer to your P3D documentation, the add-on procedure has changed from prior versions.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Fall_guy
Airman

Post by Fall_guy »

Hi guys,

a) the software installation is: C182_P3Dv4_Academic.exe (purchased only a day ago)

Also as I follow the installer instruction I came across the following paragraph: "this program will install C182 Skylane for P3Dv4 into P3Dv2"

I'm wondering if the above quote is normal or a miss print, because I only have P3Dv4 installed.

For your info I'm running P3Dv4 on windows 10 and........ P3Dv4 is installed on a individual SSD drive and NOT on the same NVMe card as Windows 10.

1) NVMe card installation: Windows 10
2) SSD card installation: P3Dv4

Is there anything else I can verify for you?

Thanks again for your support
John

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

thanks for the information, and for the mis print error.

Next thing to check is where exactly you installed too?

By default Lockheed P3Dv4 add on folder is in your documents, do you use this or have you setup a new add-on folder to use?

thanks,
Lewis

Fall_guy
Airman

Post by Fall_guy »

Hi Lewis,

During the installation process I browsed to my: P: drive (ssd) which is where I've installed P3Dv4 too.

However I wasn't aware that P3Dv4 created a folder in my C: drive documents as well.

Having now checked that folder (This PC - Documents - Prepar3D v4 Add-ons) there is a folder within the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder labelled A2A.

Inside the A2A folder is another folder label Cessna182 which contains a FILE c182

Lewis the file c182, just reads my attempted installation which I aborted.

regards

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

can you please explain the aborted installation you mention as you haven't mentioned this before?

Are you familiar with the new add-on procedure for P3Dv4?

thanks,
Lewis

Fall_guy
Airman

Post by Fall_guy »

Hi Lewis,

This is what I did.

1) In-zipped: Accu-Sim_Skylane_P3D_Academic
2) double clicked C182_P3Dv4_Academic
3) Followed the installer instructions.
4) Browsed to where P3Dv4 is installed
5) Continued the A2A Install

The result after install completion into the following path : P:\Users\John\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A

P:\Users\John\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A

inside the A2A folder were the following: Effects, font, gauges, sim objects etc

Yes I have only just converted from FSX to P3Dv4 a couple of days ago, so I'm just getting to know my way around P3Dv4 and W10

Cheers

Fall_guy
Airman

Post by Fall_guy »

Update,

Decided to delete/bin the A2A folder which was created in my:

C:\Users\John\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

and re-install after uninstalling A2A.

Now I am able to select vehicle - C182 and load it into P3Dv4

for your records, observations.

1) A2A has NOT now created a folder in the Prepar3D v4 Add-ons as it did before
2) instead it has created a folder in the C: Documents - named A2A
3) Inside THIS folder are 2 files A) a folder named FSX and B) FSXAccusim.dat

Lewis could you please confirm if this is normal or not, also for some reason I have now lost my Satiek Yolk and Throttle choices in the controls section of P3Dv4. ( I new this was going to be fun :lol: )

John

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

John the I'm still confused as you mention following the install instructions and then mention pointing to your P3D install which goes against the install instructions as P3Dv4 addons are not installed into the P3D directory but outside of it. By default this is in the my docs area that P3D creates but it can also be anywhere on your system using your own custom folder.

On your second attempt it looks like you are all working so did you let the installer just do its thing this time or have you installed into the P3D directory which will work but will mess up the idea that P3D can be updated with out it affecting your addons as all the addons are not inside the P3D directory.

thanks,
Lewis

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

John the I'm still confused as you mention following the install instructions and then mention pointing to your P3D install which goes against the install instructions as P3Dv4 addons are not installed into the P3D directory but outside of it. By default this is in the my docs area that P3D creates but it can also be anywhere on your system using your own custom folder.

On your second attempt it looks like you are all working so did you let the installer just do its thing this time or have you installed into the P3D directory which will work but will mess up the idea that P3D can be updated with out it affecting your addons as all the addons are not inside the P3D directory.

thanks,
Lewis
If that is the case then you may have other issues going on in the sim John, as the installer - particularly the v4 installer - should have no trouble finding the location of P3D installation as its read from the Registry. Thinking logically, I think you misread the installer as it asks you for the location of the ADDON folder as an option, not the actual P3D installation.

At least you got it fixed and working!

Fall_guy
Airman

Post by Fall_guy »

Hi Lewis,

I'm confused myself!!, I've been trying to gather info on the correct installation locations for P3Dv4, but I do find it very confusing, Xml files etc.

So to be clear:

1) I have 2 drives: drive C: and drive P:
2) I have installed windows 10 to drive C:
3) I have changed the default path for P3Dv4 during installation, and browsed and installed it to a new path of drive P:

Now when I came to install A2A 182. I directed the installation to the drive P: (where P3Dv4 now resides). resulting in the following: P:\Users\John\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A

Lewis if the above is incorrect, I'd appreciate some guidance or a link to some informed explanation. FSX was so mush simpler!

Thanks for your patience
John

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

the default is your c:/ drive my documents for add on's to P3D. You can change this however and have folders where ever you want them essentially. For the A2A installers we changed it so you can install where-ever so long as all the A2A aircraft are installed in the same place.

For example if you want everything on your P drive you can do exactly what I did and just create a folder called P3D Add on's on your P drive (I did this on my E drive) and installed into that.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Fall_guy
Airman

Post by Fall_guy »

Thanks Lewis,

Just One last question, Once I make a new folder on my P: drive for P3D Add on's , do I need to delete the P3D Add on's folder which was set up on my C: drive.

Regards
John

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Fall_guy wrote:Thanks Lewis,

Just One last question, Once I make a new folder on my P: drive for P3D Add on's , do I need to delete the P3D Add on's folder which was set up on my C: drive.

Regards
John
Yes, but ONLY if nothing is in there. You cannot just move the folder.
You may be talking to and about A2A here, and if I understand the confused chain of events you describe in this topic you have eventually installed the A2A craft into your P:\ drive P3D Addons folder - but that doesn't mean there aren't other things already on the C: drive version. Only if the folder is empty can you safely delete it.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”