Starting Engine Manual does not work

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
jbieletto
Airman

Starting Engine Manual does not work

Post by jbieletto »

I read the topics but can not find my problem.
I recently just bought the Cessna 182 achievement Acusim and not starting.

I followed step by step checklist but does not start.

I turn the Master Switch, open flaps Cool and cut the mixture, now turn on fuel pump put the fully rich mixture and count five seconds, I close the mixture to idle and turn off the pump.

I open the throttle 1/4 now turn the key to the magnetos to START and the engine will not start. rotate hear the engines and finally off

I checked and does not indicate to me that the engine is flooded in the message panel and Maintenance section tells me that the Cessna is like New.

When I start Ctrl+E starts smoothly and if I do it with the Shift+3 AUTO START menu. starts without problems but in the manual startup process I can not do it.

I installed the A2A_Update_05_09_16

My system:
FSX-SE
i7-3770K processor
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 64BIT
GeForce GTX960 video card

They could help me solve my problem?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Starting Engine Manual does not work

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello - welcome to the forums! :)

It sounds like you doing everything right, but a couple of questions to start with...

1. When you turn on the fuel pump and push in the mixture control, do you see the needle on the fuel flow gauge move? (It won't move much, but you should definitely see a response.)

2. With the mixture at 'cut-off' when you move the key to the 'start' position, is the engine showing any sign of starting at all? If it does, you need to push the mixture to 'rich' straight away.

From a few posts on the forums, people often seem to have difficulty starting when they over-prime an already warm engine, or just over-prime in hot weather. I thing the warning that the engine is flooded doesn't appear on the message panel (the sheet of notepaper) but is shown in red if you click on the 'spanner and screwdriver' icon on the cowling to open the engine maintenance panel.

Hope this helps!
Nick

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nick M wrote: From a few posts on the forums, people often seem to have difficulty starting when they over-prime an already warm engine, or just over-prime in hot weather. I thing the warning that the engine is flooded doesn't appear on the message panel (the sheet of notepaper) but is shown in red if you click on the 'spanner and screwdriver' icon on the cowling to open the engine maintenance panel.
Hi and welcome from me too.

Yes starting a warm engine or starting in warm weather (30C+) can give you a bit of a headache in the beginning. If the engine is warm (within 10-20 minutes of the last flight) or if the ambient temps are high try with very little priming. Turn the fuel pump on move the mixture to rich for 1-2 seconds and then pull it to full lean again. Fuel pump of and try to start. Once you get the hang of it it because fairly easy.

One thing though. I don't think it shows "flooded" in the maintenance hangar when the ambient temps are high. Maybe it doesn't "sense" it as flooded. I might be mistaken about that though.

Happy flying
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I see the guys have the basics covered for you and yes Nick is correct the flooded alert to let you know for sure appears when you click the engine inspection panel.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jbieletto
Airman

Post by jbieletto »

Nick M wrote:Hello - welcome to the forums! :)

It sounds like you doing everything right, but a couple of questions to start with...

1. When you turn on the fuel pump and push in the mixture control, do you see the needle on the fuel flow gauge move? (It won't move much, but you should definitely see a response.)

2. With the mixture at 'cut-off' when you move the key to the 'start' position, is the engine showing any sign of starting at all? If it does, you need to push the mixture to 'rich' straight away.

From a few posts on the forums, people often seem to have difficulty starting when they over-prime an already warm engine, or just over-prime in hot weather. I thing the warning that the engine is flooded doesn't appear on the message panel (the sheet of notepaper) but is shown in red if you click on the 'spanner and screwdriver' icon on the cowling to open the engine maintenance panel.

Hope this helps!
Nick

Hello Nick

Thank you for your quick response to help me with my problem.

About what you commented.

1. The ambient temperature is 22° C according to the weather engine ASN.

A) I put the mixture in idle
B) turn on the pump
C) introduce to all the mix for 5 seconds to fully, extract the rod for cutting the mixture
D) I turn off the pump but the fuel flow needle has not moved at all at least I do not see any movement.

2. With the cut mixture move the key to the START position and the engine starts but irregularly as if out of time ie not increased RPM and engine don't run wild. After this I insert the rod of the mixture to fully rich and full throttle, but the engine does not respond as if the two commands will not work at all and does not increase the RPM.

The engine fails when I start in cold (When I start the Sim for the first time in the day). As I had mentioned, if I start with the combination of Ctrl+E keys or the menu (shift+3 and clicking with the mouse on Automatic Start) and start immediately working beautifully and all controls mixing accelerator and step propeller work great, I make a circuit traffic I land will to platform, short mix to cut off the engine and turn off the Master Switch, again turn the Master Switch, start it without turning on the auxiliary fuel pump, with the mixture at idle or with ¼ throttle, then turn the key to START and it starts without problems, so I assume that either the auxiliary pump does not work in cold or something is not right in the system boot AccuSim SKYLINE C182.

As background I commented that the first time you started the C182 AccuSim, newly installed smoothly started with the checklist start, but after that never worked.

As to whether the engine is flooded I commented that I have seen in icon wrench and screwdriver and find no red message that tells me that the engine is flooded.

Thank you very much for help me, I'll keep trying but I do not know what else to do.

P.S. An apology for my poor writing in English, I hope to get my post is understood.

José Bieletto

jbieletto
Airman

Post by jbieletto »

Piper_EEWL wrote:
Nick M wrote: From a few posts on the forums, people often seem to have difficulty starting when they over-prime an already warm engine, or just over-prime in hot weather. I thing the warning that the engine is flooded doesn't appear on the message panel (the sheet of notepaper) but is shown in red if you click on the 'spanner and screwdriver' icon on the cowling to open the engine maintenance panel.
Hi and welcome from me too.

Yes starting a warm engine or starting in warm weather (30C+) can give you a bit of a headache in the beginning. If the engine is warm (within 10-20 minutes of the last flight) or if the ambient temps are high try with very little priming. Turn the fuel pump on move the mixture to rich for 1-2 seconds and then pull it to full lean again. Fuel pump of and try to start. Once you get the hang of it it because fairly easy.

One thing though. I don't think it shows "flooded" in the maintenance hangar when the ambient temps are high. Maybe it doesn't "sense" it as flooded. I might be mistaken about that though.

Happy flying
Hello Nick
Thank you for your quick response to help ...
According to your answer, I said.

Hello Nick

As I mentioned, after starting with Ctrl+E or panel Auto Start after a traffic circuit I parked on platforms turn it off and light it with the cut and ¼ mix accelerator move the key to STAR and the engine starts smoothly.

I have tried to boot when starting the simulator the first day climate at 22° C and the engine does not start with the procedure of engine start Checklist.

As I said the system does not show that the engine is fooded by clicking on the icon wrench and screwdriver.

Perhaps the software or installation is damaged, however, and uninstalled the C182 Skyline AccuSim and I have reinstalled and still the same, is exactly what I reinstall the configuration it had before reinstallation.

Thanks for the help; I keep trying or have to resign myself to start it with the combination of Ctrl+E keys or the Automatic Start in the menu. That is very frustrating having a plane exceptionally achieved by AccuSim.

Tank's a lot

José Bieletto

jbieletto
Airman

Post by jbieletto »

Lewis - A2A wrote:I see the guys have the basics covered for you and yes Nick is correct the flooded alert to let you know for sure appears when you click the engine inspection panel.

thanks,
Lewis
thank you very much Lewis.

As I mentioned the help they have provided me did not solve my problem,

Thank´s a lot

José Bieletto
P.S. Again my apologies for my bad English.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi José,
jbieletto wrote:D) I turn off the pump but the fuel flow needle has not moved at all at least I do not see any movement.
...This sounds like it could be a clue. If you're starting from cold and dark, have you made sure that the fuel tank selector on the floor isn't still in the 'OFF' position?

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Don't worry - your English is fine. :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

If you reinstalled make sure to delete the update folder so the updater can be re-applyed correctly. A reinstall wont fix this as its a pilot error. If ctrl-e is working then the software is working ok, and something you are doing is not enabling a correct start.

As nick says check the fuel and remember the Shift + 2 has quick checklists to run through to help you not forgot things.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Just wanted to add a link to the A2A promo video for the Skylane José. If you watch this bit, you can see the rough duration of priming which is typically needed, and also the amount by which the fuel flow needle should be moving when you prime (i.e. not by much, but if it doesn't move at all there's a problem).

Nick

jbieletto
Airman

Post by jbieletto »

Nick M wrote:Hi José,
jbieletto wrote:D) I turn off the pump but the fuel flow needle has not moved at all at least I do not see any movement.
...This sounds like it could be a clue. If you're starting from cold and dark, have you made sure that the fuel tank selector on the floor isn't still in the 'OFF' position?

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Don't worry - your English is fine. :)
Regards,
Nick
An apology for responding so late but was out of Mexico City.

Thanks for the info Nick, I had not checked but I will review this in the first time he can, so you see without wanting to, at some point put it off.

Jose

jbieletto
Airman

Post by jbieletto »

Lewis - A2A wrote:If you reinstalled make sure to delete the update folder so the updater can be re-applyed correctly. A reinstall wont fix this as its a pilot error. If ctrl-e is working then the software is working ok, and something you are doing is not enabling a correct start.

As nick says check the fuel and remember the Shift + 2 has quick checklists to run through to help you not forgot things.

thanks,
Lewis

Thank you,
Lewis

Should the recommendation gives me Nick on the selector fuel tank not work I will try to reinstall and delete the update folder, I agree with you that something did wrong after the first time you booted up but I can not find the cause; although the fuel selector've never checked if off and this may be the best track.
Should the fuel selector I try not resolve eliminating reinstall the update folder.

Indeed I always follow the checklist with Shift + 2 but I can not start it.

Thank you very much for the help
José Bieletto

jbieletto
Airman

Post by jbieletto »

Nick M wrote:Just wanted to add a link to the A2A promo video for the Skylane José. If you watch this bit, you can see the rough duration of priming which is typically needed, and also the amount by which the fuel flow needle should be moving when you prime (i.e. not by much, but if it doesn't move at all there's a problem).

Nick

Thank you very much for the link Nick and I have seen and when I can see that both the fuel flow needle moves, although still believe that in my case does not move at all in that time span.
When I have some time to open the FS and review I confirm how it went and if I've managed to solve my problem.

Thank you very much to you both for your great help.

Jose

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jose - thanks for posting back. No problem at all - just take things in your own time, follow those checklists from start to finish and hopefully you'll get her started manually. Interested to hear how it goes, and if you need any further help just ask. :)

Good luck!
Nick

jbieletto
Airman

Post by jbieletto »

Nick M wrote:Hi Jose - thanks for posting back. No problem at all - just take things in your own time, follow those checklists from start to finish and hopefully you'll get her started manually. Interested to hear how it goes, and if you need any further help just ask. :)

Good luck!
Nick

Hi Nick and Lewis, last night I finally managed manually start the C182 Skyline AccuSim, the steps I took are these ...

1. Turn the fuel selector in all positions with the mouse wheel (also I pressed the key selector but it seems that doing so has no effect)
2. Selector fuel in BOTH position.
3. BEACON Switch to ON
4. Lever mixture out, and cutoff idle mixture
5. Accelerator 1/4
6. Master Right switch ON
7. Auxiliary pump Switch to ON
8. Mix lever to fully rich
9. Notice move slightly the fuel flow needle
10. Mix to idle for cutting the mixture
11. auxiliary fuel pump OFF
12 Key of Magnets to START and ... started the engine!

So far so good but ... to slowly push the lever to rich mixture, the engine works as if out of time, both levers and throttle Mixing not seem to work quite right. The engine with full throttle and low mix, does not reach the appropriate RPM and heard very irregular.

I was test with both magnetos and it seems that the left magneto RPM fall much but the engine works with the right or left independently.

I let the temperature reached 150° approximately and then controls the throttle and mixture worked better, but kept watching the engine seems to be out of time.

All this does not happen if I start with Ctrl + E or AUTOSTART

Maintenance on the menu no longer tells me that is like new but tells me he is in good condition but I have no warning that plugs or cylinders are wrong.
The important thing is to follow the recommendation of Nick turning the fuel selector managed to start, hopefully correcting the flaws go slowly.

Once again I appreciate the help of both.

Thank you very much Nick and Lewis

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”