Starting Engine Manual does not work

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Starting Engine Manual does not work

Post by Oracle427 »

The throttle should be adjusted to maintain 1000 rpm after start with the mixture at full rich. Then you mean the mixture aggressively to the point where the engine continues to run smoothly with the minimum amount of fuel. This is done to avoid fouling the plugs while at low power.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good to hear you got her started successfully Jose. :) Yeah, as Oracle mentions, it could be that the spark plugs are a bit dirty due to a combination of low RPM and an overly rich mixture. However, this would generally be noted in the maintenance hangar I think. The same would go for a defective magneto I guess.

One thing you can do to establish if fouled plugs are the culprit is switch to the 'fine wire' spark plugs in the maintenance hangar. These are a lot more forgiving.

Cheers,
Nick

bundi
Airman First Class

Post by bundi »

I want to add my experience with manually starting engine... :). I was continuosly flooding engine...
Follow checklists (shift+2), when you are priming, and fuel pump started - be carefull to have mixture full rich not more then 3 seconds, then set mixture cutoff... and start you engine...

It's awarding experience, when you learn to start engine manually and don't have to use autostart feature... :D

JIMJAM
Airman

Post by JIMJAM »

I have over 400 hrs in the 182RG and thousands in the high wing Cessnas in general. I find myself 75% of the time using autostart out of frustration so don't feel you are alone. Yes IRL some are finicky and some fire right up regardless of the conditions. That I understand and can deal with but standing on one foot,rubbing your belly and sacrificing a chicken to start gets old. I have the same issue with a few helis which require you to load a default in my case the Pitts, cnt-e it and then switch.A pita for sure.In my case starting is overrated so I just autostart and get to the good stuff.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”