Is landing gear damage modeled?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
lowew79
Airman First Class

Is landing gear damage modeled?

Post by lowew79 »

Is landing gear damage modeled? In other words, if I land to hard or on the nosewheel or something, will I see damage in the hangar later?

paddler
Airman

Re: Is landing gear damage modeled?

Post by paddler »

Well something tells me it is on the 172. I failed to execute a softfield landing on a very undulating private grass strip and didn't have to check for damage in the garage, I had my nose gear collapse much to my chagrin. Not my prferred method of stopping forward motion on the runway!

Rick

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

In the topic the question was originally raised, my 'accidental' test seems to strongly indicate that you cannot damage the landing gear:

[quote="AKar, in the topic "182 touchdown sounds, too harsh?","]As a side note, it seems impossible to damage the airplane by landing it hard (unless you 'crash' the plane with crash detection on). I recently found this out when I tested my installation by re-locating the airplane on a couple of different fields in P3D. I don't recall which field it was, but for some reason the plane was spawned some 300 feet above the GA ramp. Obviously the plane fell on the tarmac (curiously, it retained its level attitude suspiciously well if we take this incident as an extreme flight test! :mrgreen:), hit the ground hard, bounced a few times and finally settled. I checked the hangar, and the plane was in perfect shape! This was despite the 'touchdown' that was likely something like 6000 feet per minute, free fall from that height resulting in ~8300 fpm. I wonder if it is actually impossible to damage the plane structurally by physically abusing it, or if some kind of 'protected spawning' is in use?[/quote]
But as said, that didn't exclude the possibility the airplane is protected from damage when it is spawned into the sim world, or as in this case, transported to a different airfield.

-Esa

lowew79
Airman First Class

Post by lowew79 »

AKar wrote:In the topic the question was originally raised, my 'accidental' test seems to strongly indicate that you cannot damage the landing gear:

[quote="AKar, in the topic "182 touchdown sounds, too harsh?","]As a side note, it seems impossible to damage the airplane by landing it hard (unless you 'crash' the plane with crash detection on). I recently found this out when I tested my installation by re-locating the airplane on a couple of different fields in P3D. I don't recall which field it was, but for some reason the plane was spawned some 300 feet above the GA ramp. Obviously the plane fell on the tarmac (curiously, it retained its level attitude suspiciously well if we take this incident as an extreme flight test! :mrgreen:), hit the ground hard, bounced a few times and finally settled. I checked the hangar, and the plane was in perfect shape! This was despite the 'touchdown' that was likely something like 6000 feet per minute, free fall from that height resulting in ~8300 fpm. I wonder if it is actually impossible to damage the plane structurally by physically abusing it, or if some kind of 'protected spawning' is in use?
But as said, that didn't exclude the possibility the airplane is protected from damage when it is spawned into the sim world, or as in this case, transported to a different airfield.

-Esa[/quote]

I did read that AKar thank you, I was hoping one of the staff might gives a for sure answer. It seems with all the nuances of this plane, oil wearing out, engine parts breaking,ect, gear damage would be in there as well.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Guys,

yes gear snapping, structural damage is not modeled at present.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

On a "to do" list anytime soon, Lewis?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

if it is its quite far down the list to be honest just due to the host sim not really modelling the 'crash' aspects.

thanks,
Lewis

lowew79
Airman First Class

Post by lowew79 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:if it is its quite far down the list to be honest just due to the host sim not really modelling the 'crash' aspects.

thanks,
Lewis
You guys are the experts, and I respect your answer, but it'd be great to have that modeled. Or, if not actual damage some other feedback to tell me, the sim only pilot, how I'm doing on my landings.

I think that the one phase of flight most sim pilots have issue with, or really want to master, is the landing (certainly true for me). It would be nice to know how I'm doing on this since there is no CFI sitting next to my computer. Gear damage would at least tell me if I am landing WAY to hard.

Part of the reason I think I'm landing hard is that the gear makes horrible noise on touchdown, no matter how softly I (try to) touchdown. I pull the nose to the horizon, I hear the stall horn and then I hear a squealing tire sound one would get from peeling out in a car.

Anyway I know you guys are into making realistic aircraft, not software that evaluates pilot skills. Thanks for reading this!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

That sound is all dynamic, so you will know when your doing better as you will get a great greaser tire chirp when you land.

thanks,
Lewis

JIMJAM
Airman

Post by JIMJAM »

One of our recon/night observation planes was a 182 RG and even though I had thousands in other high wing Cessnas, it was really drilled into me that the gear on the RG was flimsy. I know the RG is not modeled but many 152/172 pilots really plant the 182 due to its higher weight. They also don't get the ground effect float/cushion that you anticipate and you end up doing a carrier landing. Yeah gear damage would be neat but if its not accurate or causes issues best not do it at all.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”