Autopilot killed me lol & Wierd issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Neon
Technical Sergeant

Autopilot killed me lol & Wierd issue

Post by Neon »

Hey,

Had a wierd issue yesterday climbing out to 15500 flying east from San Francisco.
At 13,000ft I got up to get a coffee, and shortly after heard the stall warning go off.
I rushed back, and the plane was deep in a spin and had lost a couple of thousand
feet. So pushed full forward elevator, opp rudder, had no effect and I realised the
autopilot had put in full nose up trim. I managed to get trim under control and
was able to recover from the spin by 8000-9000 ft, however the plane was
already pushing VNE and still vertical, and in trying to pull out of the dive gently,
she broke up and killed me. lol

This is not a 182 issue, I had the same issue with the Bendix King K155A in the 172.
It occurred regularly in the 172. I think I might've had it in other non A2A planes, but
it's hard to rememeber.

So took off again, and this time, there's no way I'm trusting the autopilot to climb me
to cruise, so hand flew it. After that there was no more problems until approach.

Then a wierd problem developed during approach. Every 20 seconds or so the game would
just Pause for no reason. Right down to touchdown, I was constantly pressing P to unpause.
It finally disappeared on roll out. I've never seen this before, and it had no interaction from
me other than disabling the pause.

Weird.

Neon

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Autopilot killed me lol & Wierd issue

Post by lonewulf47 »

The issue with the autopilot can easily be explained: You simply didn't give it the necessary attention while in climb :D . If you climb at a certain ROC the A/P tries to maintain this ROC by all means, thus the speed is reducing more and more as the A/C cannot maintain the commanded ROC, increasing the need to retrim until the A/C finally goes into a stall with the A/C fully trimmed nose-up. That's perfectly normal A/P behaviour. Remember, you cannot trim for a specific speed, just for a ROC or ROD. For the pause-on/off I don't have an explanation - unless you have set the AFK panel (SHIFT-9) to a specific warning level. This could result in pausing the A/C all the time as long as the warning level persists.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

Also keep in mind that if you are flying with real weather programs like ASN, they can introduce severe wind changes or vertical drafts that can destabilize the airplane or cause it to stall. For example updrafts of 500 ft/min or wind changes of more than 20 kts over several seconds. The autopilots in GA aircraft are not a fire&forget devices.
Michael Krawczyk

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

AFK Panel was my guess too. I had something similar. Switched the pause on emergency function to on and it paused the game in level flight, because the air was a bit turbulent. So I don't know what is considered as an emergency, but I think sudden altitude changes do this.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

Yeh was an odd issue. I am aware of the ROC decrease, however it's a minor
problem with the turbo as she quite happily holds 95 kts climbing out all
the way up to 15,500 @ 600 ft/m when I hand flew it. So the autopilot
should've been able to do it. However it probably is the main cause of
the break up.

Still no idea of what caused the pausing though. That was wierd.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Neon wrote:I am aware of the ROC decrease, however it's a minor
the way up to 15,500
Sorry to disappoint you, but the 182T has no turbo :lol: . That would be the T182...
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

richstacy
Senior Airman

Post by richstacy »

lonewulf47 wrote:
Neon wrote:I am aware of the ROC decrease, however it's a minor
the way up to 15,500
Sorry to disappoint you, but the 182T has no turbo :lol: . That would be the T182...
And the 182 is not going to do much climbing at around 15,000 ft. according to the manual the best rate of climb you could expect at that altitude would be around 250ft/ min. You would be pushing the envelope there.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”