Is this normal?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Is this normal?

Post by G-BJPS »

Is everything ok here?
I had an incident with a invisible object yesterday whilst taxiing (I have now turned off crash detection) and I had to repair a lot of items in the maintenance hanger.
Since then every time I check the Maintenance hanger I get the notes in the picture above. "...core ok cond"
I'm on FSX DX9, let me know if there is anymore info you need.

cheers, John.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Is this normal?

Post by Caldemeyn »

Something in the plane degraded, but not to the point of showing as yellow or red. Plus i don't know if you looked at the engine.

chav241
Senior Airman

Post by chav241 »

I think this happens when you have done repairs to the crank and other mechanical parts of the engine, it is just informing you that it passes inspection and can fly but as you can imagine replacing some parts will not give you a new engine in any case, just fly with caution checking up on it from time to time.
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-6700k @4.00GHz Ram 16GB GTX 980 Ti
FSX plus Acceleration
Piper cub - P47 Razorback - B377 Stratocruiser + COTS - B17 - Spitfire
C172 Trainer(TT65) Piper Cherokee(TT110) C182(TT08)

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Yeah strange eh guys! There are no yellow or red parts anywhere as I repaired them all after the unseen object incident :evil: :roll: the engine part shows no coloured items either, I took this shot just after the compression check.
I should mention something I forgot to add before, after I repaired everything I had a the Volts warning light on after I fired her up, it went out after about 2 mins after flickering a couple of times.

I01
Staff Sergeant

Post by I01 »

I don't think I've replaced any engine components, yet, and I have the same "Core ok" showing. The only thing I can think of was on one occasion I was doing some flight testing & I had to firewall the engine to avoid a stall close to the ground plus a flat battery (my fault). Other than that I've been gentle on my favourite 182. Note I don't have any red or yellow showing anywhere. Maybe it's just indicating that the engine is no longer new?

As for the volts light showing, I've seen this after a start which required a lot of cranking. I've assumed it was indicating low electrical power until the battery was recharged to a sufficient level. The light stayed on for a short time, during which I remained on the ground. I tested this theory in another 182 paint in my hangar (my poor old well used and abused aircraft) and it behaved in a similar manner.

Ian

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

G-BJPS wrote:I should mention something I forgot to add before, after I repaired everything I had a the Volts warning light on after I fired her up, it went out after about 2 mins after flickering a couple of times.
That's normal behaviour of the Voltage Warning. If after prolonged use of the battery without charging the voltage drops below the warning level. After engine start the battery is being charged. As soon as the voltage is recovering the Voltage Warning goes out. IIRC the critical voltage is 24.5 V.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Thanks Oskar, any idea about the odd mechanics reports?

John.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

G-BJPS wrote:Thanks Oskar, any idea about the odd mechanics reports?
John,

Sorry, I don't have more information on that. I presume however that any part of the engine could be close to wear out - just before it triggers the amber warning. Scott might need to give a more accurate explanation.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Update: After 2 days flying, today I had yellow fuel and air filters, replaced them both but it still just says "....core ok" on the report.
Any further info on this?

All the best, John.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

G-BJPS wrote:Update: After 2 days flying, today I had yellow fuel and air filters, replaced them both but it still just says "....core ok" on the report.
Well, "Core ok" is pretty normal on a used engine. Some componentes may be a bit worn but nothing alarming. You will only get a ".. like new" status report if you do at complete engine overhaul. Maybe you just got a "monday engine" ... :D where a few components are not completely as they should ....
Oskar

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

lonewulf47 wrote:
G-BJPS wrote:Update: After 2 days flying, today I had yellow fuel and air filters, replaced them both but it still just says "....core ok" on the report.
Well, "Core ok" is pretty normal on a used engine. Some componentes may be a bit worn but nothing alarming. You will only get a ".. like new" status report if you do at complete engine overhaul. Maybe you just got a "monday engine" ... :D where a few components are not completely as they should ....
Thanks Oskar, yeah I just thought I'd see things like "beautiful shape" "runs smooth" etc like on the Cherokee, I'll keep a close eye on them gauges !

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”