Fuel Injection Flooded Not Fixed / Mags Issues

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Avio
Staff Sergeant

Fuel Injection Flooded Not Fixed / Mags Issues

Post by Avio »

Had some problem starting the engine that resulted in flooded fuel injection. Proceeded to do a repair, but red "Flooded" label kept staying lit. It was only upon returning aircraft to Cold & Dark state that the red label went away.

Another problem was when I did a mag check after starting engine, it sounded rough and both mags showed a steep drop of some 500 rpm! It was only some minutes of flying after landing that another check showed both mags working fine.

Anyone else encountered these issues?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Fuel Injection Flooded Not Fixed / Mags Issues

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes, all real pilots have had these issues. :)

How are you configuring the aircraft for taxi? Are you keeping idle at 1000 RPM and leaning aggressively to prevent the plus from fouling?

Did you takeoff with fouls plugs?

You can clear magnetos by running up to full power for one to two minutes and leaning for peak RPM. Then enrich the mixture lower RPM to mag check speed and see if all is well.

You need to follow real world procedures with the A2A aircraft. The checklists in the manual should help. You can also Google for real POH online if you prefer. Review the normal and emergency procedures section.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Yes I did run at 1000 rpm unless I overlooked for a moment. Will see again.

As for the "Flooded" label not clearing, it seems to be a possible bug. Anyone else sees this?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

You have a choice of spark plug types in the Maintenance Hangar (SHIFT-7). You can choose the more common MASSIVE or more expensive, less common FINE WIRE.

When operating our Comanche with massive plugs, I had to keep the idle at 900-1000, and lean heavily otherwise the plugs would foul. With fine wire plugs, I can idle as low as 600 rpm without fouling. But keep in mind, even with fine wires, you want operate as if you have massive plugs because at idle, the engine has a very rich mixture and lead in the fuel still does deposit itself on the plugs.

Also, if you ever suspect your engine is flooded, open your throttle 2/3rds before cranking. This will clear out the flooding condition. Remember, your engine temps are persistent so if you land, and turn the engine off, then move to a new airport or even reload the plane, the engine will still be warm and you don't need to prime to start.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Avio
Staff Sergeant

Post by Avio »

Thanks a bunch Scott. Awesome planes as always.

I suspect most are still with FSX because of A2A, me included!!

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”