FSX sensitivity setting

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
A320pilot23
Airman Basic

FSX sensitivity setting

Post by A320pilot23 »

Is there a suggested setting for elevator, aileron and rudder sensitivity in FSX? Because I have the impression that the controls react too strong with full sensitivity.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: FSX sensitivity setting

Post by Oracle427 »

Full sensitivity is about right for my Sidewinder 3D Precision Pro and Saitek Rudder Pedals. I would not recommend turning down sensitivity but rather learning to operate with a very gentle touch. I read lots of posts where people turn down the sensitivity, but to be honest I feel like they are short changing themselves.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I am in complete agreement with Oracle. I am using the recommendations from A2A as far as FSX assignments and, yes, it is very sensitive, especially with regards to the elevator. But I trust Scott when he says this is how it really feels. With some practice, my landings are getting much smoother. If the plane is trimmed properly, it really is fingertip control. And if you're not using gentle inputs on the approach, you're probably going to balloon (like me)!

JP

c300c
Airman

Post by c300c »

In the shift-3 menu I'll find an elevator setting. Play around with it, if you think that the control is too sensitive in low speed operations. Otherwise, practice, practice, practice ... :)

Cheers,
Chergo

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

FSX sensitivity setting

Post by Jacques »

I would just like to quote Scott regarding perceived control sensitivity:

"Most FSX planes, the elevator is not powerful enough. So when people fly an Accu-Sim plane with the proper elevator authority, the reaction is it's too strong. When in fact, it's the first time this person is experiencing real elevator forces in the simulator.

This is based on precise tests we have done ourselves. Since Accu-Sim handles the elevator, we doubled the elevator authority in FSX which gives Accu-Sim the headroom it needs to provide the proper elevator authority in all flight situations. At all times, the elevator authority is very close to the real plane."

Personally, I consider this a challenge to toss off any kind of notion of what I, a non-pilot, might consider correct and, instead, embrace the idea that what FSX has been telling me all these years is not really "real"! And, you know, I'm comfortable with the fact that I have more bouncing landings than beautiful ones. That is because ever so slowly, those bouncers are being eclipsed by landings I can only characterize as being absolutely, beyond any doubt.... Beautiful.

JP

A320pilot23
Airman Basic

Post by A320pilot23 »

Ok I didn't know it was so sensitive in real life. But I will take on the challenge with full sensitivity! Thank you all!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I don't recall seeing any recommendations from A2A with respect to how the FSX sensitivity and null zone sliders are set. I think it's hardware dependent: I find low-ish sensitivity and a very small null zone gives me the best control response in terms of using the full travel of my joystick. However, I certainly haven't tampered with any of the custom elevator authority settings.
c300c wrote:In the shift-3 menu I'll find an elevator setting. Play around with it, if you think that the control is too sensitive in low speed operations.
I may stand to be corrected, but I believe this setting works the other way round: i.e. it reduces elevator authority at higher speeds to allow for less sensitive hand-flying in cruise. I don't think it affects handling at low speed so much.

For the OP, it's definitely worth experimenting with this slider - I tend to set it to 100%.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Nick,

Taking away your null zone altogether may improve your flying on the A2A aircraft. These aircraft react very well to the most minute movements of the stick and putting a null zone in there makes it very difficult to make precision control inputs as required during instrument approaches (hint hint) ;).
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the tip Oracle. I think my null zones are currently at about 5%, but I'll give the instrument flying a go with them set to zero. Over the years of using FSX I guess I've tried all sorts of sensitivity/null zone combos. Never used the registered version of FSUIPC though, which is probably just as well as I'd spent even more time tinkering with settings. :wink:

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

thewoo1
Airman First Class

Post by thewoo1 »

I questioned this and Dudley wrote back....He is always spot on with his advice.

guys just wondering from you licensed pilots that have flown the c172 0r cherokee 180 how would you compare feel of real pedal vs the computer versions for example ch or saitek . I have the saitek and was wondering how you have your null zone and sensitivity set to replicate feel as close to real ones you have flown. Is there a lot of play in real ones? tight? Really curious appreciate what you could share with me on how close it is to a2a versions of those planes.( from Me)

I use Saitek Combat Pedals. I've found that generally with both the CH and Saitek Pedals that the suggested sensitivity and nulls are WAY too much on the sensitive side. This is REALLY apparent in the P51 and noticeable enough for me in other airplanes that I have experimented quite a lot. My final decision and where I keep the settings now is with the sensitivity all the way down and the null at 5%. ( from Dudley)

whoispankaj
Airman

Post by whoispankaj »

What would be the settings if fsuipc is used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”