Saitek switch panel & cowl flap

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
sunray
Airman Basic

Saitek switch panel & cowl flap

Post by sunray »

using SPAD and all switches are fine except for the cowl flap, what do I need to do?

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Re: Saitek switch panel & cowl flap

Post by Tigerclaw »

The cowl flap is NOT a switch, it's a "Lever" or Axis if you prefer. In other words, it's not an On/Off switch state, it's variable. I've assigned mine to a spare throttle axis on my second Saitek quadrant. It works perfectly.

If you don't have a spare Lever to use, what about another axis like a rotary?
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

sunray
Airman Basic

Post by sunray »

Thank you Tony I will give that a try however on all my other aircraft (non A2A) the panel switch works the cowl no worries.
John

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

Most other aircraft treat the cowl flaps as a "switch" either open or closed, but A2A treat our aircraft very special. You have to admire the work that goes into an A2A aircraft :)

I don't personally know if the cowl flaps being ¼ or ½ open serves a purpose in flight, I'm not a real pilot, but my guess is there may be situations where having them fully open may keep the engine to cool for the most efficient operation. Just a guess though.
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

tttocs
Airman First Class

Post by tttocs »

Tigerclaw wrote:The cowl flap is NOT a switch, it's a "Lever" or Axis if you prefer. In other words, it's not an On/Off switch state, it's variable. I've assigned mine to a spare throttle axis on my second Saitek quadrant. It works perfectly.
While I agree with Tony that an axis is the most realistic way to go, if you don't have a spare axis available, it's still easy to map a switch - a rocker works best.

Not at my sim computer right now, but I have a rocker switch mapped to, I believe, cowl flap increment and cowl flap decrement in FSUIPC. Works very well.

Scott

Edit: It's 'Inc Cowl Flaps' and 'Dec Cowl Flaps'. As with some of the other settings on the 182 and 172, just using '... Cowl Flaps 1' doesn't work. It has to be just plain 'Cowl Flaps".

S.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”