Yaw-Damper C182

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
moritz382
Airman Basic

Yaw-Damper C182

Post by moritz382 »

Hello,

is it possible to integrate a Yaw-Damper for the Autopilot in the C182? This would be great, because the airplane is spinning around sometimes in cruise, if the autopilot is engaged.

Best Regards,

Moritz

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Yaw-Damper C182

Post by Lewis - A2A »

moritz382 wrote:because the airplane is spinning around sometimes in cruise
Can you please let us know what you mean by this?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

moritz382
Airman Basic

Post by moritz382 »

Hello Lewis,

the aircraft is turning on the vertical axis and as a result it banks from left to right. A Yaw-Damper for the autopilot would solve this problem.

Best Regards,

Moritz

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

what is the weather and frame-rate you are encountering? Please remember the AP is not like the relaxed realism default units but modeled on the real one so has its limitations. If flying in adverse conditions it could have trouble keeping up and hand flying or landing should be thought of. This is particularly important now the next gen weather add ons (ASN) are simulating correct gusting and wind conditions that throw aircraft around in the sky.

FPS can also cause issues if operating much below 20FPS.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

moritz382
Airman Basic

Post by moritz382 »

Hello Lewis,

I know this is a realism autopilot behavior, but with a Yaw-Damper it solves this behavior. And as a result you get better turns, with autopilot engaged. I use FS Global Real Weather and have above 20FPS.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Speaking of which, I wonder if there is a yaw damper in any GA plane smaller that Caravan? Beech Duke might have had one, I don't remember looking into that. Generally I'm not that impressed about the effect of yaw damper in GA autopilots (riding one, not at controls). The nose rows quite a bit in many of those even with YD on in gusty weather. In big twin Pipers, the nose is all over if feet are not alive. Perhaps they help with adverse yaw somewhat, but certainly not much with gusts. Word is the PC-12 has quite good yaw damper, but unfortunately I've never been in one in the air.

-Esa

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

moritz382 wrote:Hello Lewis,

the aircraft is turning on the vertical axis and as a result it banks from left to right. A Yaw-Damper for the autopilot would solve this problem.

Best Regards,

Moritz
I still do not understand what is happening...
AKar wrote:Speaking of which, I wonder if there is a yaw damper in any GA plane smaller that Caravan?
The Garmin GFC700 e.g. has an optional yaw damper... but it appears to me that the C182 - G1000 equipped with the GFC 700 do not have that yaw damper as an option.

The last level of sophistication is a “yaw damper.” This controls the rudder and makes for a smooth flying aircraft. When we were learning to fly, remember the instructor telling us to use the rudder to keep the ball in the center? This is what the yaw damper does. Some aircraft are so stable with a two-axis autopilot that they don’t need a yaw damper – a Cessna 182, for example. On the other side is my V-tail Bonanza where my wife tells me to turn on the yaw damper if we encounter even the slightest bit of turbulence.
Auto Pilots – Different Types & How They Work! (midwestflyer.com)
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, it appears that none of the current Cessnas have it except 208, which uses the same GFC700.

Not many yaw dampers have been simulated in FSX/P3D except in that they light up the button - though some big boys swear that their function is exactly the same in real life too in certain types. :mrgreen: For my uneducated eyes, PMDG has it mostly correct I think (though to nitpick, I think in 737 it should give an input opposite of turn direction on ground too which should visible in the indicator, though that could prove difficult in FSX), not sure about Majestic.

-Esa

moritz382
Airman Basic

Post by moritz382 »

You think all you are the greatest... But okay, you are right the C182 doesn't have a Yaw-Damper, I thought like the Cirrus with GFC700 the C182 has a Yaw-Damper as well.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”