Graphic flashing when using tow bar

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
joediamond
Airman First Class

Re: Graphic flashing when using tow bar

Post by joediamond »

molleh wrote:I don't get any flashing with the tow bar, but the frame rate absolutely plummets when I use it.
I have the same issue. No flashing but the FPS drops to 5-7 when using the tow bar. Remove the tow bar and everything returns to normal.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Screenshots to demonstrate. Tow bar off, framerate at my external cap of 45:

Tow bar on, frame goes down to 11:

edit: Also just tried running FSX in fullscreen (with alt-enter.. normally I just run it windowed) and I also get the screen flashing everyone's talking about.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Guys,

do you notice the frame drop or is this more watching the red counter? I only ask as you are towing the aircraft at walking pace from the front of the aircraft so it must be hard to notice?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

joediamond
Airman First Class

Post by joediamond »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hey Guys,

do you notice the frame drop or is this more watching the red counter? I only ask as you are towing the aircraft at walking pace from the front of the aircraft so it must be hard to notice?

thanks,
Lewis
It's very noticeable. The actual movement is jerky.

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

Yes, it's definitely the actual framerate going down, and it's very jerky. Granted you don't need super high FPS just to push it around a few feet, but it's still odd.

tomvaillencourt
Airman First Class

Post by tomvaillencourt »

briansommers wrote:several of us online (DTP) are having the same issue.
I too have noticed this, but only when calling up the ATC window while using the tow feature.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Noted

cheers,
Lewis

lownslo
Airman

Post by lownslo »

joediamond wrote:It's very noticeable. The actual movement is jerky.
+1 My frames drop from locked at 30 to 7.5. A very consistent and jerky 7.5.

HTH

Greg

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi all,

I think I've worked out what's causing this graphic corruption when using the towing feature on my system: it's forcing vertical sync in the sim.

I've always used FSX with v-sync enabled as the graphic 'tearing' is too distracting otherwise. However, I've noticed that with v-sync turned-off, I can use the tow bar feature without the graphical anomalies described in this thread.

If v-sync is enabled (either through the Nvidia video driver, or the ForceFullScreenVSync=1 line in [GRAPHICS] section of the fsx.cfg file) I get this behaviour every time. Just wondering if anyone else is running FSX (or P3D) with v-sync enabled and not seeing this effect? (Especially those with Nvidia hardware.)

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Nick,

what happens if you run in windowed mode?

thanks,
Lewis

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Lewis - in windowed mode the feature seems to work fine - and that's with v-sync forced on in the video driver and/or fsx.cfg (ForceWindowedVSync=1).

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Not sure why I'd bothered with the latter fsx.cfg setting, as I never really use FSX in windowed mode.
Last edited by Nick - A2A on 17 Nov 2014, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
A2A Simulations Inc.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Nick M wrote:Hi all,

I think I've worked out what's causing this graphic corruption when using the towing feature on my system: it's forcing vertical sync in the sim.

I've always used FSX with v-sync enabled as the graphic 'tearing' is too distracting otherwise. However, I've noticed that with v-sync turned-off, I can use the tow bar feature without the graphical anomalies described in this thread.

If v-sync is enabled (either through the Nvidia video driver, or the ForceFullScreenVSync=1 line in [GRAPHICS] section of the fsx.cfg file) I get this behaviour every time. Just wondering if anyone else is running FSX (or P3D) with v-sync enabled and not seeing this effect? (Especially those with Nvidia hardware.)
As mentioned earlier I do not have any framerate drops in neither P3D nor FSX using NVIDIA GTX 570 and 780 on two different computers. However some graphics guru once told me that V-Sync should NEVER be used if not specified by the application (no idea though what the technical background for this is). Nevertheless I never used it so far and never ran into specific problems doing so...
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Oskar - talking of P3D, does it have the option to enable v-sync in the sim? I did use it (P3D) for a month with the temporary developer licence, but can't remember seeing this setting.

Personally, I'd rather not use the towing feature than disable v-sync...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Nick M wrote:Oskar - talking of P3D, does it have the option to enable v-sync in the sim? I did use it (P3D) for a month with the temporary developer licence, but can't remember seeing this setting.Personally, I'd rather not use the towing feature than disable v-sync...
Yes, I know, Prepar3D has this option in the menu. Why would you not disable it? What is the benefit? I have used it for some trials and found the frames more jerky than without. Seems really to be very much dependend on the Graphics Hardware. But as already pointed out, I'm by far not the expert, I can just forward my personal experience which is: just no frame drops and no flashing when using this setup in P3D V2.4 and FSX :lol:
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

On my set-up, the image 'tearing' that I see without v-sync enabled is a bit of an immersion-killer Oskar - it's most noticeable when I pan around in the virtual cockpit.

Even when v-sync is disabled in FSX, the towing feature seems to cause slightly jerkier panning when using the spot view camera. However, the graphical stuttering and ghosting that I see otherwise is eliminated.

The issue itself doesn't bother me too much, as I suspect I won't use the towing feature terribly often. However, I'd like to be able to use it with v-sync in an ideal world...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”