En route frequencies...

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Slick09
Airman

En route frequencies...

Post by Slick09 »

I’ve been simming for quite a few years now (over a decade) and I guess I developed a bad habit. I was wondering how real world pilots (on a VFR flight) figure out what the next en route frequency should be? In the sim world you get a prompt to change along with the frequency in the ATC window, what do you do in the real world. I usually use skyvector.com to find the ATIS, ground, and tower frequencies, but I don’t see anything about enroute frequencies on those charts.

Thnx

Richard

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: En route frequencies...

Post by Oracle427 »

I'm not sure what you mean by an enroute frequency?

There are a number of resources to gather various types of frequencies.

Just about everything you need for VFR is on the chart.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Slick09
Airman

Post by Slick09 »

i think i was making the mistake of assuming that on a VFR flight you have to be in touch with ATC throughout the flight like you would on an IFR flight. I guess the only frequencies you would need for VFR would be in Class B or C airspace, or in an MOA, or the specific frequency for an airport. If you are in an area with no airspace near by or no airports and you needed to speak to center how can you find the frequency on a VFR chart or do you go to the guard frequency and ask someone for help?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You don't need to be in contact with ATC when VFR unless operating in certain airspace. All of those are charted except for class B.

Ideally you'd be well briefed with all that info on the ground before entering the cockpit. The approach frequencies can be found in the A/F D for the various airports in the area. You can then call them up and let them know where you are and your intentions. If you have the wrong frequency, or if they are using a different one at that time, they'll let you know.

You'd be unlikely to get help on guard. Contacting a FSS is one way to get help while airborne. The FSS frequencies are published in charts, but not simulated. Those guys can get you weather, file flight plans and look up other info for you, though it can be clumsy while flying.

I print and write all this stuff down on my kneeboard and brief it well before flight. I don't like to be looking things up mid flight. It's too distracting unless I cab hand it off to a pilot passenger.

FYI, I still almost always ask for flight following on all flights unless I am conducting maneuvers or remaning in the pattern. It's not necessary for VFR, but it helps them as much as it helps me.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Slick09
Airman

Post by Slick09 »

you're spot on Oracle!!

for anyone else wondering about where to find frequencies - here's a good read from an airline pilot (he once needed to find a frequency @ 37,000 feet :D )

http://atccommunication.com/wp-content/ ... Center.pdf

SuperCrash
Airman Basic

Post by SuperCrash »

If I understand your question correctly. You are referring to what is called "Flight Following" it is provided by ATC on request by a VFR pilots and if ATC work load permits. ATC will provide you with a unique transponder code so they know who you are.

The analogy to your sim "ATC window" prompt would be the ATC controller prompting the pilot to check in on the next frequency. You can look up approach and center frequencies for your initial contact if not departing from a towered field.

I routinely use flight following on VFR flights. They provide traffic alerts when able. It is good to be in the system and it feels good to be in contact with someone who knows I'm out there :) I hear ATC likes it too.

Regards. If I totally missed the question, I'm sorry.

SuperCrash
Airman Basic

Post by SuperCrash »

If I read your question correctly. You are referring to what is called "Flight Following" it is a service provided by ATC upon VFR pilot request and ATC workload permitting. ATC will provide you with traffic and weather alerts in busy areas. You have to either request flight following from ground control or ATC once in the air.

You can find the ATC frequencies in the AFD for initial contact. But once enroute the ATC controller will tell you when and what frequency to change to as you progress on your flight. (similar to your ATC sim window pop up). No need to know all the freq before takeoff. However on my knee board I keep a list of freq on my frequent route as they do not change often. I then know what to expect on the next center boundary transition.

It is great to be part of the ATC system when flying for real. It keeps me in contact and someone already knows who and where I am if anything where to happen. They can communicate with me as needed. It is a little bit of extra workload but the benefits far out weight the drawback to not using it. :)

Secondly, when you look at the same area for ground/tower and ATIS. You should also see "Approach Control" that is the ATC frequency of the center covering that area. I just check skyvector for KTKI and they call it REGIONAL APPROACH and REGIONAL DEPARTURE ( same freq.)

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

In real world, I'll have my local FSS tuned in unless I'm in flight following then I'll have that freq tuned in.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”