C182 P3D 4.0 Take-off with crosswind or tailwind bug.

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
BusheFlyer
Airman

C182 P3D 4.0 Take-off with crosswind or tailwind bug.

Post by BusheFlyer »

Not sure if this has already been reported but something is very strange with the take-off roll with any crosswind or tailwind (where some strip runways are downhill). A crosswind component of just 5 knts causes the A2A 182 to weathercock far too much, even with into wind aileron. It feels like you are fighting a 20 knt crosswind and that is not an exaggeration!

Taking off with 10 deg of flap with pretty much any crosswind (2knts!) causes almost loss of control the moment the aircraft leaves the runway, due to the amount of rudder you have to use during the take-off roll into this crazy crosswind.

Essentially, this is a bug. It is reproducible on every take-off. Something is amplifying the crosswind effect.

I am guessing this is connected with P3D 4.0 and A2A, the default aircraft or the realair aircraft do not have the same issue.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: C182 P3D 4.0 Take-off with crosswind or tailwind bug.

Post by Oracle427 »

Are you launching directly into the sim with the 182 or first loading a stock aircraft and then changing to the 182 once in-sim?
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

BusheFlyer
Airman

Post by BusheFlyer »

Oracle427 wrote:Are you launching directly into the sim with the 182 or first loading a stock aircraft and then changing to the 182 once in-sim?
I am not entirely sure what you mean, I launch P3D into the scenario creation (the default), then select the A2A 182. Surely thats the only way to launch into the sim?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I don't have P3D so I'm not sure how this differs from FSX. The key is not to begin with a complex add-on aircraft. Instead launch with the default F-22 and then switch to the 182.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

There have been reports of handling issues that are corrected when the above procedure is followed.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

BusheFlyer wrote:
Oracle427 wrote:Are you launching directly into the sim with the 182 or first loading a stock aircraft and then changing to the 182 once in-sim?
I am not entirely sure what you mean, I launch P3D into the scenario creation (the default), then select the A2A 182. Surely thats the only way to launch into the sim?
No, it isn't. Time and time again the advice is FIRST to load a default aircraft, THEN switch to the 182 or other A2A bird. AT LEAST until you have a saved flight with the A2A aircraft set up and operating - once you have that saved flight you can usually use that the next time and after but you introduce elements from not starting with defaults, and they can be small, individual and cumulative if you don't - making them a nightmare to troubleshoot.

FWIW I typically use the scenario creation menu and loading from that as you do I can replicate your issue, although I rarely use flaps for takeoff as I'm not using short fields and the amount of rudder required is reflective of the rudder trim NOT applied, if you know what I mean? There is a hefty transition, but actually if you look at the pedal movement it's only hefty against the P*** poor dynamics of other non-Accusimmed birds.

Two things to check before flight:
1: Calibration of rudder pedal movement MUST be set to 100/100 - that is, 100% movement in the virtual cockpit is reflected by 100% of the movement in the rudder pedals themselves. Calibration of the pedals should be carried out in-sim (so many forget that v4 is a completely separate sim and miss this stage). BOTH sensitivity and null zone have needed adjustment on every one of the five systems I manage with P3D installed.

As you unfortunately don't tell us what your hardware setup is or whose rudder pedals you are using, we cannot advise any further.

2: Have you got the aircraft trimmed for a slight nose down trim before starting the take-off run? Of course this varies based on load out but if you haven't, then apply some nose down elevator as you start the run, and until the rudder `bites`. There remains an exaggerated effect in the sim because it can't seem to separate fore/aft ground drag from side-to-side forces and one can mitigate the effect substantially by `sticking` the nose wheel a little more forcibly in to the grass or tarmac. A clue is the need to re-trim immediately after takeoff as the nose continues to rise - simply note where the elevator trim rests when it no longer does this and use that as the benchmark for the future unless you have a peculiar loadout.

BusheFlyer
Airman

Post by BusheFlyer »

mallcott wrote:
BusheFlyer wrote:
No, it isn't. Time and time again the advice is FIRST to load a default aircraft, THEN switch to the 182 or other A2A bird. AT LEAST until you have a saved flight with the A2A aircraft set up and operating - once you have that saved flight you can usually use that the next time and after but you introduce elements from not starting with defaults, and they can be small, individual and cumulative if you don't - making them a nightmare to troubleshoot.

FWIW I typically use the scenario creation menu and loading from that as you do I can replicate your issue, although I rarely use flaps for takeoff as I'm not using short fields and the amount of rudder required is reflective of the rudder trim NOT applied, if you know what I mean? There is a hefty transition, but actually if you look at the pedal movement it's only hefty against the P*** poor dynamics of other non-Accusimmed birds.

Two things to check before flight:
1: Calibration of rudder pedal movement MUST be set to 100/100 - that is, 100% movement in the virtual cockpit is reflected by 100% of the movement in the rudder pedals themselves. Calibration of the pedals should be carried out in-sim (so many forget that v4 is a completely separate sim and miss this stage). BOTH sensitivity and null zone have needed adjustment on every one of the five systems I manage with P3D installed.

As you unfortunately don't tell us what your hardware setup is or whose rudder pedals you are using, we cannot advise any further.

2: Have you got the aircraft trimmed for a slight nose down trim before starting the take-off run? Of course this varies based on load out but if you haven't, then apply some nose down elevator as you start the run, and until the rudder `bites`. There remains an exaggerated effect in the sim because it can't seem to separate fore/aft ground drag from side-to-side forces and one can mitigate the effect substantially by `sticking` the nose wheel a little more forcibly in to the grass or tarmac. A clue is the need to re-trim immediately after takeoff as the nose continues to rise - simply note where the elevator trim rests when it no longer does this and use that as the benchmark for the future unless you have a peculiar loadout.
OK, will try some tests loading the default F22 onto the ramp then changing to the A2A 182 from there.

In terms of rudder pedals I am using the CH rudder pedals, and the calibration is exactly as you describe. I am not using the CH control manager either. Like I mentioned, I am only seeing this problem with the A2A aircraft.. something very strange is happening with the crosswind component on the ground. Taking off with more than 10knts crosswind feels like taking off in a hurricane, in fact it is near impossible to retain control.

The trim setting for take-off, I set it exactly how I set it in real life on my 182. I can assure you that the problem I am experiencing has very little to do with a touch of trim either up or down. It is like somehow the crosswind is amplified enormously.. I spent time testing this yesterday and even down to 2 kts direct crosswind it was forcing the airplane to weather cock against p-factor and even with into wind aileron. So you can imagine what it is like with 10kts crosswind.. pretty much uncontrollable. If I change the wind to exactly down the runway.. no problem what-so-ever.

Of course, I am certain that this is not intended. Something is causing this strange bug I am just unsure what.

Anyway, I will test loading the F22 first then switch to the A2A 182 and see if this behavor changes.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

And your system specs?
And your weather system provider?

You really need to be systematic in providing full information or nobody can help.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I've had something like this with ASN/AS16 real weather. Exactly when the airplane leaves the ground, a large yaw swing occurs. I never identified the cause more than it happened every time with real weather on, and never with it off, even if the ASN/AS16 itself was enabled. P3D version has had no effect (the issue has been there since v2.4 up to and including 3.4, with several complete re-installs and everything), however, I'm only in process of installing the v4 and can't test yet whether it is still present at my end.

-Esa

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

AKar wrote:I've had something like this with ASN/AS16 real weather. Exactly when the airplane leaves the ground, a large yaw swing occurs. I never identified the cause more than it happened every time with real weather on, and never with it off, even if the ASN/AS16 itself was enabled. P3D version has had no effect (the issue has been there since v2.4 up to and including 3.4, with several complete re-installs and everything), however, I'm only in process of installing the v4 and can't test yet whether it is still present at my end.

-Esa
Hence my question about weather system provider...

At this stage ball is in Busheflyers court. (Wimbledon analogy, it must be summer!) 8)

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”