Brake Test Results

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
GrahamP
Senior Airman

Brake Test Results

Post by GrahamP »

Nick M wrote:
GrahamP wrote:The toe brakes appear to be working OK, so what do the 20% and 65% readings mean?
Graham - I believe this is normal and allows for the parking brake to be more effective than the toe brakes at holding the aircraft. The 65% could suggest your brakes are somewhat worn though. ('New' brakes would give around 80% pressure in the 182 I believe, though I think this figure differs for the various A2A products.)

As for the reduced braking pressure when only one toe brake is depressed, perhaps this is to allow more realistic differential braking?

For diagnosing the original issue, the 0% with them released is obviously the important bit.

Thanks,
Nick
Interesting, Nick. I'm getting further off topic from the original post now, hence starting another thread. The maintenance hangar weren't say anything about the brakes wearing but after carrying out a complete overhaul I did get better readings with Brake Test.exe. Even more interesting, after repeated complete overhauls I got different readings:

Before first complete overhaul:
Left only - 20%
Right only - 20%
Both together - both 65%

After 1st complete overhaul:
Left only - 21%
Right only - 23%
Both together - 73% & 82%

After 2nd complete overhaul:
Left only - 22%
Right only - 23%
Both together - 76% & 79%

After 3rd complete overhaul:
Left only - 24%
Right only - 24%
Both together - 83% & 84%

After 4th complete overhaul:
Left only - 23%
Right only - 21%
Both together - 80% & 72%

I guess the varying readings are because the new pads need bedding in. :)

Graham

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Brake Test Results

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Graham,

Yeah, could be there's a degree of random variation built in with each 'complete overhaul' so that newly overhauled brakes don't always give exactly 80% for instance. Maybe the variations you observed have something to do with your hardware setup too?

Cheers,
Nick

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

I did wonder about that while I was doing the testing but after each complete overhaul the test results were exactly repeatable, so I think some randomness in the complete overhaul may be more likely.

Maybe A2A could enlighten us on what they intended?

Graham

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

GrahamP wrote:Maybe A2A could enlighten us on what they intended?
In the physical world, nothing is exact. Accu-Sim has similar physics, so you are peeking into Accu-Sim with a digital readout and seeing these differences.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

Cool 8)

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”