C182 no squeak from the tires on touchdown+No compas issue

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Sneaky11-Andrew
Airman Basic

C182 no squeak from the tires on touchdown+No compas issue

Post by Sneaky11-Andrew »

Good day. I've been having this issue since I installed the c182. I can't hear any squeak from the tires during touchdown. I've also noticed that the compass pointer kneedle is not displayed. So I can't read my heading from the magnetic compass. Has anyone had the same issue and do you have any tips how to fix it? I am considering a reinstall, but before I do that I'd like to know if there's something I've missed.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: C182 no squeak from the tires on touchdown+No compas iss

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

for the wheel squeak this is normally due to brakes that need calibrating. What are you using for your braking in the sim as it would suggest you have some breaks on even when off if the squeaks, chirps etc are not being heard, so long as your landing would result in such a thing, as not all do of course.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Sneaky11-Andrew
Airman Basic

I'm using Saitek's Pro flight rudder pedals.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Andrew - I believe the missing lubber line on the magnetic compass will be resolved by running the Accu-Sim update available here. It should also add a few more fixes and enhancements to the 182.

Sounds like it's also worth checking your toe brake calibration/settings as Lewis mentions. More info in this thread: hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibration.

Thanks,
Nick

Sneaky11-Andrew
Airman Basic

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll look into it.

Sneaky11-Andrew
Airman Basic

I think your theory about the pedals might be right. I've noticed that the nose comes down quite hard on the touchdown. I now that this aircraft is quite nose heavy. However after watching some You-Tube videos I find it much harder to keep the nose of the ground a little longer.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

A while ago, A2A produced a little tool to directly measure the brake input in the sim. I can't find a copy on the forum anymore, but you can download it here if you wish: Brakes Test.exe.

It's pretty self-explanatory to use. Just run the .exe, start your host sim and click "connect to FSX". (It also seems to work fine with P3D.)

Cheers,
Nick

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

Apologies if its not appropriate to jump in here (I didn't know whether to start another thread or not). As far as I'm aware I don't have a problem with my brakes but I'm curious as to what readings Brake Test.exe should give? I get the following and I don't understand why:
Left Brake on its own - 20%
Right Brake on its own - 20%
Left and Right Brakes together - 65% on each
Parking Brake on its own - 100%
All Off - All 0%

The toe brakes appear to be working OK, so what do the 20% and 65% readings mean?

Graham

Sneaky11-Andrew
Airman Basic

Do you have your toe brakes set to maximum sensitivity without any deadzone?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

GrahamP wrote:The toe brakes appear to be working OK, so what do the 20% and 65% readings mean?
Graham - I believe this is normal and allows for the parking brake to be more effective than the toe brakes at holding the aircraft. The 65% could suggest your brakes are somewhat worn though. ('New' brakes would give around 80% pressure in the 182 I believe, though I think this figure differs for the various A2A products.)

As for the reduced braking pressure when only one toe brake is depressed, perhaps this is to allow more realistic differential braking?

For diagnosing the original issue, the 0% with them released is obviously the important bit.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”