Glass Textures in the Skylane ?

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Can someone explain how I can get deeper richer colors on the windscreen of the Skylane ? There seems to be only two textures involved both of which have alpha channels:

C182_glass.dds
C182_glass_s.dds

Following the trend in the paint kit - I'm assuming the C182_glass_s.dds is just for specular shine although it does seem to add some blemishes to the glass.

So - I've played with the alpha channels from white to black on both textures - yet I can't seem to get the deep rich color some others have achieved... Mine comes out with just a very pale tinge of color... I've spent hours trying to replicate or reverse engineer the example below - with a bit more blue - without much success...

Can someone enlighten/educate me on how this works ?

Any help appreciated... Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Glass Textures in the Skylane ?

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hi Scott.

You are on the right track. A dark grey Alpha channel gives me this effect.

Using solid black with the Alpha will give an opaque finish for the colour I choose, whereas using a lighter grey in the Alpha channel gives me this.

There is also a texture that controls the opacity of the glass viewed from inside the cockpit, the c182_c4_t.dds file. Although things seem to be reversed for this file. Going lighter with the Alpha makes the glass more opaque.

Best of luck.
Steve

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Steve,

Much obliged - that looks great as well... I think part of my problem was when I was testing in P3D I was merely swapping between paints on the same aircraft - now - I don't think that it reloads the modified textures ??? So all my testing was kind of moot...

Hmm - it's also counter intuitive from what I'm used to - traditionally - the more white the alpha channel - the more opaque the texture... This seems to be the reverse ? I did notice the alpha channel in the texture I was trying to reverse engineer was a bit darker than default...

I won't be able to test until the weekend - but thanks - hopefully I should be able to get this to work....

Really appreciate you taking the time !!!

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

No problem Scott and best of luck with your endeavours. :wink:

Steve.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

scottb613 wrote:Hi Steve,

Much obliged - that looks great as well... I think part of my problem was when I was testing in P3D I was merely swapping between paints on the same aircraft - now - I don't think that it reloads the modified textures ??? So all my testing was kind of moot...

Hmm - it's also counter intuitive from what I'm used to - traditionally - the more white the alpha channel - the more opaque the texture... This seems to be the reverse ? I did notice the alpha channel in the texture I was trying to reverse engineer was a bit darker than default...

I won't be able to test until the weekend - but thanks - hopefully I should be able to get this to work....

Really appreciate you taking the time !!!

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes the alphas are reversed from inside glass to outside. Also the major inconvenience of having to exit sim to test textures. The reload user object won't get the new textures to show. Also, be wary of file size etc. I use 8.8.8.8 for the exterior files, but the interior need to be the same as original or they will not load. Just a few things I've picked up along the way. Good luck with the glass Scott.

Scott 8)

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

taildraggin68 wrote: Yes the alphas are reversed from inside glass to outside. Also the major inconvenience of having to exit sim to test textures. The reload user object won't get the new textures to show. Also, be wary of file size etc. I use 8.8.8.8 for the exterior files, but the interior need to be the same as original or they will not load. Just a few things I've picked up along the way. Good luck with the glass Scott.

Scott 8)
Yes. It's a shame Modelconverter X doesn't handle glass testures. I get crashes in P3D sometimes, swapping from one complex model to another.

Steve.

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Scott/Steve,

Thanks for the additional info - yeah - use MCX all the time but as noted - it's no help with the glass textures...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”