C182 on Takeoff - Roll or Yaw to Left Problem

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Just a question about the flight dynamics - as I've had this aircraft for a while but haven't flown it much as the Comanche always seemed to garner my A2A time...

I've got some time in Cessna's and if they're anything - they're inherently stable... With the A2A Skylane - just after liftoff - there is a very peculiar roll or yaw to the left - it almost feels as if you're standing on he center on a teeter-totter and someone takes a big step to the left right after takeoff... I'm aware of all the turning tendencies of real aircraft and I believe the Cessna wing has a dihedral to keep it stable... I won't claim to be an expert but it just doesn't feel right as it's very unstable...

I have the latest updates - I'm running P3Dv3.4 - weight and balance are correct - equal amounts of fuel in both tanks - flying proper airspeed and procedures for takeoff - there is no damage to the aircraft - and my controls are properly calibrated...

Neither the Cherokee nor Comanche exhibits this behavior...

Anyone else ever see this ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: C182 on Takeoff - Roll or Yaw to Left Problem

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

That is interesting. How about the weather, were any crosswinds involved? I will definitely test it with one minor difference - I am running FSX Acceleration.

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Hi,

I'd also look at your weather and weather add-on. What happens if you use the "Clear weather" theme and run without external weather injection? I've recently had lots of issues with a certain weather program (gimmicky effects interfering with the flight model)...

Tym

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Scott,

Are you referring to the "dipsy doodle" (as Martha King puts it) which is described in the video in this thread? In other words, the side-effect of not using enough right rudder on rotation?

There are a couple more topics where the effect is discussed: for example this one and another here. I've found the same effect is modelled quite strongly in the Comanche too, but is less noticeable in the 172 and barely evident in the Cherokee.

Thanks,
Nick

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the interest and replies...
:)

I don't think it's weather related as I've flown it enough to have taken off in a bunch of varying conditions - but - that is a good test - I'll try it this weekend with no weather and post my results...

After posting (realize I should have done it the other way around) - I found this related thread: Large Amount of Yaw to the Left

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=54557

Seems to be describing the same problem... So my question for this would be did A2A ever look at this and address it ? There seems to be no conclusive end to the reported problem...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Nick,

Checking your info too - thanks...

Regards,
Scott