RPM bouncing during cruise

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
fencelake
Airman

RPM bouncing during cruise

Post by fencelake »

Hi, I fly the 182 a lot. I've noticed that in cruise flight the RPM gauge bounces quite a bit. I have the saitek controls but I use the mouse for prop because only 2 of my levers are working the third is not set to any axis. So I use my mouse to set the prop RPM in cruise flight. I usually run the manifold around 21 inches... prop rpm 2200 or so... Am I doing something incorrect?

thanks!

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: RPM bouncing during cruise

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Usually plane gauges bounce a bit, when the engine is running and A2A recreated this immersion very well in their models.
Bouncing RPM gauge means that the engine is not running smoothly. You said, you have set specific rpm and manifold pressure, try adjusting your mixture. You need to find that sweet spot where the engine "wants" to be, like Scott said in one of the promo videos. If the mixture adjustment alone does not fix the rpm gauge bounce, refer to the A2A Skylane manual, there are performance charts that can orientate you at what manifold pressure, what rpm to use. Hope this was helpful. ;)

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

fencelake
Airman

Post by fencelake »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yea... I figured I should use the tables. I've been just kind of winging it. I'm going to get on in a minute and really work on proper engine management and get her tuned correctly in cruise. One of the great things about A2A planes... when something is happening it's for a reason and thus you end up learning more about the plane.

Thanks for the help!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

fencelake wrote:Hi, thanks for the reply. Yea... I figured I should use the tables. I've been just kind of winging it. I'm going to get on in a minute and really work on proper engine management and get her tuned correctly in cruise. One of the great things about A2A planes... when something is happening it's for a reason and thus you end up learning more about the plane.
Tables are handy for getting predictable results, but are not necessary for proper engine management in these airplanes. A2A airplanes can be managed "by ear" very well, you'll certainly learn listening and feeling the engine and adjusting the controls as necessary. :)

-Esa

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Id also check the maint hanger and make sure everything is in the green
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”