Skylane Autopilot and F1 GTN 650 observations

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
kevinsue
Airman

Skylane Autopilot and F1 GTN 650 observations

Post by kevinsue »

This is just a few observations while flying the Skylane that may be helpful and of interest to some people.

Firstly, during very turbulent conditions, the autopilot seems much more reliable at maintaining altitude when selected to VS mode with vertical speed set to 0 fpm than in ALT mode. It dampens out those oscillations which eventually lead to the aircraft climbing and diving with ever increasing amplitude trying to maintain the set altitude.

Secondly, while flying VFR in mountainous areas such as Papua New Guinea trying to find and land at those Highland airstrips, I find it more useful to inhibit the TAWS function of the F1 GTN 650/750 so that the map with the destination remains on the screen instead of the "Terrain Warning" flashing continuously and blanking out other useful data.

And last but not least, I have found that if the Battery Master and the Avionics switch is turned on and then the Battery Master is then turned off, the GTN 650 which I have installed on my A2A Skylanes will remain on, allowing it to be used for flight planning etc without the rest of the aircraft systems being operational and draining the battery... :mrgreen:
Best Regards...Kev*
"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"

woofgang
Airman

Re: Skylane Autopilot and F1 GTN 650 observations

Post by woofgang »

Thanks for the tips. Just introducing myself to extended flying in the 182 - these will come in handy.

Jim

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”