Autopilot questions

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Passero
Airman

Autopilot questions

Post by Passero »

I have been flying the 182 for a few weeks now and I am starting to get used to it.
There is however a specific AP question I have:

What is the purpose of nav 2? I can't seem to make the AP listen to what I configure in nav 2? Is that just for redundancy in case nav 1 fails or can I set the freq of a VOR in nav 1, another one in nav 2 and configure the OBS accordingly and once I fly over the VOR configured in nav 2, flip a switch (which I cannot find) so the AP follows the radial for the VOR defined in nav 2? That would be great however I cannot seem to find that...

Another thing is that since today when I fly the 182 I notice the GPS light is on instead of the nav light. Before that, I used a carenado plane with the G1000.
My C182 is configured without gps. I disabled it and just use the radio stack.
If I press the nav/gps button it doesn't change from GPS to NAV.
When I went into the FSX menu to assign a button to switch from GPS/NAV and pressed that button, it seemed to do the trick but I am wondering why the button on the cessna doesn't work...

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Autopilot questions

Post by AKar »

Passero wrote:What is the purpose of nav 2? I can't seem to make the AP listen to what I configure in nav 2? Is that just for redundancy in case nav 1 fails or can I set the freq of a VOR in nav 1, another one in nav 2 and configure the OBS accordingly and once I fly over the VOR configured in nav 2, flip a switch (which I cannot find) so the AP follows the radial for the VOR defined in nav 2? That would be great however I cannot seem to find that...
The purpose of the NAV 2 is, well, to have another navigation radio. :) It comes very handy when flying routes based on VORs, as for instance you can have the next station tuned to NAV 2 when tracking the previous one outbound, or when flying procedures where one tracks or crosses radials (or localizer) from several stations. NAV 2 radio / CDI 2 is not coupled to the autopilot, so to track it, one must either fly manually, or semi-manually in heading mode for example. Not a big deal really, but for longer segments, one may want to have the station to be tracked tuned in NAV 1 to allow the AP to do the tracking.
Passero wrote:Another thing is that since today when I fly the 182 I notice the GPS light is on instead of the nav light. Before that, I used a carenado plane with the G1000.
My C182 is configured without gps. I disabled it and just use the radio stack.
If I press the nav/gps button it doesn't change from GPS to NAV.
When I went into the FSX menu to assign a button to switch from GPS/NAV and pressed that button, it seemed to do the trick but I am wondering why the button on the cessna doesn't work...
If your airplane is configured without GPS, I think the button is disabled, but I'd confirm, just in case, that the A2A aircraft configurator is set to "default".

-Esa

agentthumb
Airman Basic

Post by agentthumb »

Another question regarding AP. I have noticed that when engaging AP in HDG mode or NAV mode, the aircraft would do a slight right roll before correctly turning left to track the heading or gps track. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passero
Airman

Post by Passero »

I also noticed this in other airplanes, not made by A2A so I would assume it's normal...Not sure why this is...

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”