Promo video gives concern

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
nandrews
Airman Basic

Promo video gives concern

Post by nandrews »

Looks like a great sim model. But why does so much of your promo video talk about and show the actual Skylane and not the sim model you are selling?
For much of the video you seem to be promoting the Skylane aircraft (perfomance etc.) and not talking about which features you have included in the sim model.
Why?

Nigel

Reevzy
Airman

Re: Promo video gives concern

Post by Reevzy »

Because the sim model is modeled extremely accurately using a real 182 as a resource.

When learning to fly A2A's B-17, it was suggested to look at actual WWII training videos and manuals, so I did.
In doing so, I have a "connection" and understanding of that aircraft and it's systems better than anything else I've come across in a simulation.

I work in maintenance with 172's and 182's. As far as I can tell, more like feel, once again these guys have done it again.
I use real checklists and procedures with all my A2A aircraft, to be honest, in going to those extremes with many other developers aircraft models would be just a waste of time.

nandrews
Airman Basic

Post by nandrews »

Thanks, but I still don't see the reasons for featuring so much of the real aircraft.
Sure for comparing it, feature to feature, with the sim model, but it didn't.
It was often 'promoting' the features of the actual aircraft without even refering to the model.
The take-off and the landings featured were only in the real aircraft!

I'm not knocking the model, I don't have it.
But I looked to the video to help me understand how good the model is and it put more doubts in my mind than reinforcing my previous impression!

Nigel

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I'm with Reevzy on this one.

Many simmers who haven't spent more time with actual airplanes (or with A2A products) may not understand and be surprised how almost every airplane is importantly different from each other - this included even versions of same model! And I don't blame them; the way planes are generally modeled in FSX, supposedly realistically, makes you think that when propeller physics are discussed for example, that what there is to give anyway - even default planes have a prop lever. That couldn't be more wrong. For me, a proper simulation is about minutest details, which are typically not just off but nonexistent in FSX products, and discussion about the real plane gives a good insight on what kind of details this product is showing out especially well. For they need to be studied, identified and documented to be reproduced. I'm at least very interested about what they've studied in the real 182T in this case and what kind of things they found out for simulation, their results so to speak. While the sim model is not shown in that video that much, the video itself considers many important topics that are simulated: the props, the 6-cylinder engine, CHT and cooling simulation, important differences in handling this 'high-performance' airplane compared 172R, which they released earlier. So on. I can tell that they are all in simulation.

-Esa

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Goes to show how much the real plane was used to develop the sim, and how real procedures are needed to fly it correctly.

If you need videos of the airplane in the sim, I'm sure there are lots of people making them and putting them on YouTube already.

Once you know the quality of A2A's products, you'll understand.

Joe
Joe

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

Check out the thread at the top of this forum for Froogle's video thread, which shows an epic amount of the aircraft in FSX (along with a lot of enthusing from the man himself... ;))

Please remember, also, that Scott's video is an intro to the C182, released when the aircraft was not yet available. Therefore not actually an promo for the model, but rather an "in-development" video.

Cheers,

Ian P.

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

nandrews wrote:Looks like a great sim model. But why does so much of your promo video talk about and show the actual Skylane and not the sim model you are selling?l
Personally, I think that's just the type of video they wanted. Something to introduce us to the real-world counterpart of the aircraft we'll be flying, and why they chose to simulate that aircraft.

Plus, as the others have said, a lot of real-world discussion also applies to A2A's aircraft given their high degree of accuracy. So, by introducing us to the real aircraft, they're also introducing us to their simulated version.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

It's an AccuSim thing... You wouldn't understand. :mrgreen:

nandrews
Airman Basic

Post by nandrews »

I think you all missed the point.
A2A are selling their model of the Skylane, not the Skylane aircraft.
I expect them to show me how much they have represented the real aircraft in their model.
By showing me significant footage of the real aircraft, taking-off, landing etc. Isn't telling me what they have included or not, in their model.
In the same way if I watched docu on the real 182, it would be persuading me to go out and buy the A2A 182 just because the real one flies great.
I'll leave it at that

Nigel
P.S. I know about AccuSim - I have the 172
P.P.S. I know of Froogle's videos and that was what got me interested to look further. Perhaps if they'd used his video instead of what they did, I might not have been in any doubts.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

nandrews wrote:I think you all missed the point.
A2A are selling their model of the Skylane, not the Skylane aircraft.
I expect them to show me how much they have represented the real aircraft in their model.
By showing me significant footage of the real aircraft, taking-off, landing etc. Isn't telling me what they have included or not, in their model.
In the same way if I watched docu on the real 182, it would be persuading me to go out and buy the A2A 182 just because the real one flies great.
I'll leave it at that

Nigel
P.S. I know about AccuSim - I have the 172
P.P.S. I know of Froogle's videos and that was what got me interested to look further. Perhaps if they'd used his video instead of what they did, I might not have been in any doubts.

All of the "First Look" Videos are a combination of real aircraft and teaser of the modeled version and recorded well in advance of the final finished product. If you want a play by play in sim video showing you how to pull up all features, then hang loose for a bit and there will be plenty on Youtube. For those of us who appreciate the correlation between A2A, Accusim, and the real airplanes, the video productions are top notch. Those videos "sell" the anticipation of what A2A and Accusim will come up with.

But then again, if you have the 172 and need further convincing along with simulation videos, no video from A2A will ever be enough

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

He may have the 172 in his hangar, but he doesn't truly understand what goes on under the hood like we do. If he did, Scott's video would've made sense.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

taildraggin68 wrote:But then again, if you have the 172 and need further convincing along with simulation videos, no video from A2A will ever be enough
This.
Joe

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

I would say that the actual point here is that you are assuming an in development information video is a product promotional video, which it isn't and really shouldn't be used as.

That's a valid point, but to be honest, it's making a massive deal about nothing given that there are already many other sources that give information on the model. What that video shows is how A2A developed the model, not what the model is like in the sim. It's still useful information for a potential purchaser.

Ian P.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Being very specific about what you are looking for here will be a benefit to A2A. Including footage of take off and landing in a future product seems unnecessary as this is a flight simulation after all and the product will surely include the ability to take off and land.

The focus with all A2A Accusim products has been on high fidelity flight and systems simulation. You should expect to find the vast majority of the systems in the real aircraft faithfully represented as per the real aircraft manuals. Showing performance of the aircraft in flight may be redundant given this attention to detail.

I thought it was pretty cool to see the the emphasis on features I have but seen in other products such as the prop and engine sounds and the tow bar. These are the functions that add to the value of this product and continue to set the bar higher.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

mer8771
Staff Sergeant

Post by mer8771 »

I thank he wants a Doritos commercial. If like us you do truly own an A2A product you will know it's about the flying and navigating part that drowse us to A2A and not the countless others. We want real physics and what better way to explain them then that video? The 172, 180, and 182 get as close as you can get to the real thing and that is there selling point. Why would they try to make it flashy if that's not what they are selling. You can get a free ware one to use but don't ask it to be close to real life.

I also feel as if he is a troll. Just saying.
Family, Friends, and I
are the most important things
in life. Always in that order.
Once you're faced with death you will no longer be scared of it.
Life has a new joy to it, cherish it.
Craig McN.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”