Two or three blade propellers and performance.

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
frangarcia
Airman

Two or three blade propellers and performance.

Post by frangarcia »

I think I read something about it in the manual. But now I can’t find it again. Can someone tell me what the difference is? I remember something like this “a three blade propeller has more drag…”

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Two or three blade propellers and performance.

Post by AKar »

Well, in general:
  • • two-bladed props have higher aspect ratio and larger diameter - thereby they are more inherently more efficient;

• three-bladed props tend to have more blade area, and therefore greater thrust for given blade angle and rpm - note you can't directly affect the first one but it shows up maybe in better low speed thrust;

• three-bladed props - or, any multi-bladed propeller! - suffers from blades interfering with each other, which reduces the efficiency a bit;

• three-bladed props are of smaller diameter, have slower tip velocity and thereby are quieter - much quieter in some cases. They also have better tip clearances.
So, to summarize, two-bladed props are generally a bit more efficient and three-bladed ones are quieter and may have a bit better slow speed performance. It is primarily the noise aspect why you see some relatively high-powered airplanes, such as Cessna A185s, routinely retrofitted with three-blade props.

Of note is that the other aspects of the design matter too, albeit rather little, but still so that a new and modern three-blade prop can be equal or better thorough the operating range than an old two-blade one.

-Esa

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”