Question, Occasional User?

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
CDreier
Airman Basic

Question, Occasional User?

Post by CDreier »

I understand this is a real time simulation. If I only fly the 182 occasionally (once a month or once every two months), does this mean that I'll have to deal with a dead battery every time I wish to fly? What about corrosion, etc??

In other words, I really want to own it but wonder if it'll be too "real" for the occasional owner? Thanks

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Question, Occasional User?

Post by Ian P »

No is the quick answer.

I hadn't flown my C172 for a few months, while I was playing with the PA-28. Got it out a few days ago, did a pre-flight which found nothing wrong, checked the hangar and it was good to go, so off we went for a wander across Shropshire.

If you keep doing it, you'll get corrosion, leaky seals, maybe water in the fuel or some little creature will ding your prop in the hangar or shove a cloth in your air intake. So you just fix them before you go flying. ;)

To be honest, I was really unsure about this "persistent aircraft" thing at the start, because I regularly don't use an aircraft for months on end, but I've not had any problems with it at all. So much so that I quite frequently find myself hitting the "used" button, just to make life more interesting for a few minutes!

Cheers,

Ian P.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

If it does turn out that the periods between flights are too long then all you have to do is Shift+7 to bring up the maintenance hangar and then either click "Complete Overhaul" or fix any items that show as a problem individually. Comparable perhaps to getting a mechanic to give your plane a quick check-over if it hasn't been used for months except quicker and cheaper.

But like Ian says, you probably won't have a problem.

The persistence feature of Accu-Sim is great, but its not the only reason to fly A2A aircraft.
2 others are attention-to-detail and the fact that within the same session you can break your plane/engine if you try hard enough.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

CDreier
Airman Basic

Post by CDreier »

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm a real-world pilot though inactive for quite awhile now. I just purchased the 182 and I'm really looking forward to getting to know her. :)

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

You shall enjoy her.....top notch stuff goes on here :D

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

There's only one problem with buying an A2A aircraft...

...you...can't...stop...at...one... :roll: :lol:

Ian P.

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

Ian P wrote:There's only one problem with buying an A2A aircraft...

Ian P.
Ain't this the truth ;)

I told myself I was going to stick with just the Cherokee for now. Then I bought the Cub. And then I bought the C182.

Rudyjo
Senior Airman

Post by Rudyjo »

On the subject of planes sitting for long periods of time in the real world, what about fuel going bad? Is it normal to put something like Sta-Bil in the tanks?

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

bastins wrote:I told myself I was going to stick with just the Cherokee for now. Then I bought the Cub. And then I bought the C182.
The Cub was my first, and she got me hooked as soon as I put floats to water and almost got sea sick watching it rock. Bought everything since.

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

I got admonished when I let the 172 set for an extended time and visited the maint. hangar. Something to the effect...you shouldn't let your aircraft set for long periods of time and if you do you should use a different oil type.

Steve

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Use Camguard additive in your oil, and you will have almost a month's protection from corrosion.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

kapjadi
Senior Airman

Post by kapjadi »

bastins wrote:

Ian P.
Ain't this the truth ;

I told myself I was going to stick with just the Cherokee for now. Then I bought the Cub. And then I bought the C182.

That's was I thought after I bought the J3 Cub

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

Scott - A2A wrote:Use Camguard additive in your oil, and you will have almost a month's protection from corrosion.

Scott.
Ahhh, additive, yep that was it. Don't think I'll be needing that in the 182 for quite a while :!:

Steve

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

bastins wrote:

Ian P.
Ain't this the truth ;)

So true, so very, very true!
I haven't bought the 182 yet, but that's only because I don't want to abandon my Cherokee when I've finally (after about 20 years of thinking about it, starting, and then aborting because the sim wasn't up to it...) started my 48-state "In the wake of the Cannibal Queen" trip. So far I've clocked up 14 states, and I just know if I buy the 182 now yet another 48-stater will never get completed lol.
But I will ... no question about it, I'll own the 182 soon ... VERY soon ... maybe even later this evening :wink:
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

I'm glad I discovered A2A just before the debut of Accusim with the P-47 for one reason alone- each release is far enough apart from the next that I can afford it! I can't imagine finding out about A2A today and then having to buy all the planes at once, or worse, have to wait to buy them!

The only Accusim I never got was the B377 and by extension, CoS, only because airliners never have done much for me in a flight sim. I'm sure it is my loss, as I'd kill for a similar plane, the B-29- and the B-17 is amazing! But a WWII bomber I can justify taking for a 30 minute airshow or ride flight. An airliner would seem stupid to me to fly for a short hop (all I really have time for these days).

To the OP- even if you leave your plane for a year and it degrades some, it is just a few clicks in the hangar to make it good as new! No big deal. :mrgreen:

Joe
Joe

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”