Autopilot question

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
cessnalover858
Airman Basic

Autopilot question

Post by cessnalover858 »

Hello guys,
first: The C182 is amazing! Great work A2A!!!

First question:
Is it possible to turn off the autopilot? As you can't pull the circuit breaker, and I want to shut it down without turning off the master switch, I don't know how.

Second question:
Can I somehow change the "BARO" setting on the autopilot from INCH to QNH?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Autopilot question

Post by AKar »

1) Not exactly sure if you mean turn it of electrically (instead of disconnecting it using appropriate switch)? Then I presume no, though you can kill the avionics buses using avionics master.. :)

2) Press and hold the baro button for two seconds. I haven't tested but I think it's modeled.

Cheers,

-Esa

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

I wondered about turning the AP off because I think its mentioned in a checklist in the manual (but perhaps they just mean to ensure that its not activated).

Apart from that, wouldn't it normally have a switch to turn it off anyway like most of the other avionics do?
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

cessnalover858
Airman Basic

Post by cessnalover858 »

Hi Esa,
thanks for your answer. Will try this out.

Cheers

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

tbaac wrote:I wondered about turning the AP off because I think its mentioned in a checklist in the manual (but perhaps they just mean to ensure that its not activated).

Apart from that, wouldn't it normally have a switch to turn it off anyway like most of the other avionics do?
No, not necessarily. The KAP 140 used here works as an altitude alerter even if the autopilot itself is turned off. It's likely part of checklists because it is rather important to make sure the autopilot is not inadvertently switched on or armed, airplanes have been flown into ground due to lesser distractions. It doesn't matter if it is electrically powered through the avionics master. Pressing the disconnect switch once to be sure is more than enough normally. In many autopilots the annunciations are much less noticeable than in KAP 140.

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

cessnalover858 wrote:Is it possible to turn off the autopilot? As you can't pull the circuit breaker, and I want to shut it down without turning off the master switch, I don't know how.
There is an autopilot disconnect button on the yoke. I use the A2A input configurator to assign this to a joystick button. (Of course, it still won't turn the autopilot power supply off.)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

AKar wrote:
tbaac wrote:I wondered about turning the AP off because I think its mentioned in a checklist in the manual (but perhaps they just mean to ensure that its not activated).

No, not necessarily. The KAP 140 used here works as an altitude alerter even if the autopilot itself is turned off. It's likely part of checklists because it is rather important to make sure the autopilot is not inadvertently switched on or armed, airplanes have been flown into ground due to lesser distractions. It doesn't matter if it is electrically powered through the avionics master. Pressing the disconnect switch once to be sure is more than enough normally. In many autopilots the annunciations are much less noticeable than in KAP 140.

-Esa
I did that once. I don't remember which plane or even which simulator but as soon as I picked up speed on the runway the plane seemed to try to achieve a 1000 fpm climb rate. I can see that in a real aircraft particularly this is something you'd probably want to avoid.

Thanks for the tip about the 'disconnect' button. It sounds obvious but hadn't occurred to me, I normally just glance at it or assume.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

cessnalover858
Airman Basic

Post by cessnalover858 »

Nick M wrote:
cessnalover858 wrote:Is it possible to turn off the autopilot? As you can't pull the circuit breaker, and I want to shut it down without turning off the master switch, I don't know how.
There is an autopilot disconnect button on the yoke. I use the A2A input configurator to assign this to a joystick button. (Of course, it still won't turn the autopilot power supply off.)

Cheers,
Nick
I know how to disengage the autopilot :P I only wanted to disconnect it from the power source.
Can anybody confirm, that the circuit breakers are different ones than in the C172? In the 172 you can pull the circuit breaker for the Autopilot.
When I flew it I had to push it in at least :D

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

cessnalover858 wrote:Can anybody confirm, that the circuit breakers are different ones than in the C172? In the 172 you can pull the circuit breaker for the Autopilot.
When I flew it I had to push it in at least :D
Afaik, the white C.B.s on the panel in the C172 & C182 are the same style i.e. they are "push to reset" only. Neither are the "push-pull" type breaker.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”