Love it all - except the leather trim...

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Love it all - except the leather trim...

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi all,

Well - I've only had the Skylane installed for a short while. However, first impressions are very favourable. The sense of weight and power and those sounds truly set this one apart from its little sibling.

The artwork in general: absolutely fantastic as we've come to expect from Michal and the team. I particularly love the extra decals on the exterior and the fantastic little details (like 3D modelled tyre valves) which have carried-over from the Cherokee. (Almost seems a shame to fit those wheel fairings!)

In the cabin more beautiful little details are apparent ... like the opening glove box!

For me, the only fly in the ointment is the leather upholstery. It just seems to be rather blurry and bland compared to the rest of the interior (and to the upholstery in the Skyhawk and Cherokee). I appreciate that the use of specular maps gives it a certain depth and maybe it'll grow on me (and perhaps it looks better in P3D with its superior lighting - I use FSX). However, it places at least (for example the trim piece to the left of the instrument panel) it does seem to look a little odd, and more like hammered copper than leather! :|

I read the discussion on the slightly retro interior with interest and - to tell the truth - I'd have preferred a standard factory interior too. This interior does seem to have a slight 'identity crisis' with its 70's style door pulls and so on.

Obviously, all this is subjective stuff so hope you don't mind me expressing an opinion. :wink:

Make no mistake - on the whole, it's a great piece of work and while it may not quite steal the crown from my beloved Cherokee, I'm sure it'll become a firm favourite.

Thanks guys! :)
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Love it all - except the leather trim...

Post by taildraggin68 »

I'm sure some interior work will make it up, maybe some carpet or some genuine retro Naugahyde :shock:

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Hi Nick,
Nick M wrote:For me, the only fly in the ointment is the leather upholstery. It just seems to be rather blurry and bland compared to the rest of the interior (and to the upholstery in the Skyhawk and Cherokee). I appreciate that the use of specular maps gives it a certain depth and maybe it'll grow on me (and perhaps it looks better in P3D with its superior lighting - I use FSX). However, it places at least (for example the trim piece to the left of the instrument panel) it does seem to look a little odd, and more like hammered copper than leather! :|

I read the discussion on the slightly retro interior with interest and - to tell the truth - I'd have preferred a standard factory interior too. This interior does seem to have a slight 'identity crisis' with its 70's style door pulls and so on.
I'm all with you on this one! The C182T is without question another excellent A2A release and I'm really happy with it. But the leather interior just does not suit this modern Skylane. I'm still wondering why they haven't modeled the factory interior of a normal C182T. After all that's how the interior of a C182 looks. You won't find a C182T with such a leather interior. This 'hybrid' tries to combine the best of both worlds but it just does not work.

And I also agree with you that the leather trim does not look very good. It's rough and not very detailed. That's most obvious when you compare it with the excellent interiors of the C172 and the PA-28:

Especially the quality of the awesome interior of the PA-28 is on a much higher level.

So yes, the unrealistic and not well textured interior trim seems to be the only weak point of an otherwise excellent addon.

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

KloudKruiser
Airman First Class

Post by KloudKruiser »

I agree on the interior too. However I'm sure some of the talented artist out there will do some interior repaints for it. I have four 3rd party interior and panel repaints for the 172 that I vastly prefer over the stock one, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they tackle this one too. My main pet peeve though is the black ring around each gauge, they are not smooth circles, they arent on the 172 either, but for some reason they jump out at me with this 182 where as I never thought about it with the 172. Funny thing this human brain :wink:

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

I have always had a problem where it take a bit to draw the cockpit after coming from outside view and it seemed to draw faster in the C182 so I am fine with it. Looks good to me.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

I will not agree. From this screenshot I can see that the C182 has been equipped with specular and normal maps in the cockpit which give much more detail and allow for many more visual effects. Finally, it is not a matt plastic or cloth but a kind of artificial leather if I am not wrong. It just looks different from the cockpits of C172 or Piper (both of which have a fake light painted inside and have no specularity)

HighAlpha
Airman First Class

Post by HighAlpha »

I also respectfully disagree. I think the interior detail is very well done. In the screenshots above you can clearly see the grain detail in the leather. The stitching is highly detailed. And I appreciate the change to leather (or faux leather) in this new plane from the cloth in the 172. I think it adds to the 182 to being a "step up" in every sense of the expression. Also, from what I understand, the 182T was certified in 2001. Meaning A2A simulated a 182 from 2001 or likely a bit later prior to the G1000 being standard equipment. I don't think it's unrealistic at all that a 182 from that vintage to have a leather interior and wouldn't be surprised if that was standard.... Does anyone here know what the standard interior was on 182T just prior to the G1000?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks guys for the comments - both in agreement and disagreement.

Having had a look at the texture files, it's apparent that the interior door panels are mapped at somewhat lower resolution than in the C172/Cherokee. In fact, in the Skyhawk, the interior fabric panels have their own separate texture maps which allows the pattern to be rendered in convincingly high detail.

It's clearly a subjective thing, but for me the leather - particularly where it wraps around the window sills - doesn't look all that convincingly 'leathery'. Again, the lighting effect using the specular maps might be better in P3D leading to rather more convincing rendering? I guess that's one of the pitfalls of developing for two products...
HighAlpha wrote: I don't think it's unrealistic at all that a 182 from that vintage to have a leather interior and wouldn't be surprised if that was standard.... Does anyone here know what the standard interior was on 182T just prior to the G1000?
Definitely not a standard interior for any 182T, with the door trim seemingly borrowed from a much earlier (1970s) model as was discussed here.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

ftrusky
Senior Airman

Post by ftrusky »

Would have been nice if the interior leather trim colors had been matched to the exterior trim colors
Frank

Rig #1: I7 4770 @ 4.3,16GB @ 2133, Nv GTX780, 1TB Sansung SSD, 40" Sony KDL 40EX500,CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64
Rig #2: I7 2700 @ 4.6, 8GB @ 1866, Nv GTX580, C=256GB SSD, E&F=2 X 600 V-raps, 30" Dell, CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”