Cessna 182: Vehicle for an epic vacation?

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
new reply
Scav
Senior Airman

Cessna 182: Vehicle for an epic vacation?

Post by Scav »

Hi folks,

Just wanted to share what I've been doing with the newest addition to my fleet. I'll start with the route endpoint map so far:

Had to sidestep to Toronto because Rush. Been averaging roughly 150 knots groundspeed at 9,000' MSL for the majority of this trip. :)

PA24 :: PA28 :: C182T :: BE35
"Tell me, have you ever met a Scav up close? Of course not . . ."

ebo
Master Sergeant

Re: Cessna 182: Vehicle for an epic vacation?

Post by ebo »

Scav wrote:Hi folks,

Just wanted to share what I've been doing with the newest addition to my fleet. I'll start with the route endpoint map so far:

Had to sidestep to Toronto because Rush. Been averaging roughly 150 knots groundspeed at 9,000' MSL for the majority of this trip. :)
Quite ambitious! Interesting flightplanner map. What are you using?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

ebo wrote:Quite ambitious! Interesting flightplanner map. What are you using?
I just used Skyvector to map out the endpoints on a stop-by-stop basis (not the actual IFR routes). I've done transatlantic crossings in FSX before with non-A2A aircraft (I have a wonderful four-seater turboprop pusher by Tim 'Piglet' Conrad that cuts a lot of the tedium out of flying over that much open water!) but this is the first really huge trip I've taken in A2A hardware and I wanted it to be a good one. :)

I've got screenshots I'm organizing for this. I'll start posting them soon. :)

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Nice route - if you don’t have it ORBX has all of Iceland as a freebie - might make that stop more interesting...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

scottb613 wrote:Nice route - if you don’t have it ORBX has all of Iceland as a freebie - might make that stop more interesting...
I picked that up a while ago -- unfortunately every time I've gone through Iceland it's been hard IFR both ways. Maybe on the way back westbound I'll hit some luck.

Speaking of Orbx, I picked up OpenLC Europe yesterday. Now I have to re-take all of the European shots I took on the way out. :roll: I'll wait until after my big trip is done -- I went as far south and east as Santorini and currently am on my way back to central Europe via Croatia.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

OpenLC addition sounds like an excuse for another RTW after current adventure is done lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Lewis - A2A wrote:OpenLC addition sounds like an excuse for another RTW after current adventure is done lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You've got that right! :mrgreen:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good stuff 8) 8) Hope you carry on posting about the adventure

cheers,
Lewis

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Good stuff 8) 8) Hope you carry on posting about the adventure
Consider this me carrying on. :)

I reflew the Atlantic crossing in the 182 starting from a location near Houston in Texas. This time I kept track of Hobbs time, tach time, fuel used, prices (whenever available, some fudged) and taking into account A2A's proclivity towards throwing real life into the mix.

Here are the numbers so far:

I must admit I'm very curious to see how well the Comanche fares with the same trip. :twisted:

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

Okay, so I'm in the process of reflying this particular 'vacation' AGAIN -- here is the outbound route map:

Stateside stops:

1. Independence, KS (to see the Cessna factory).
2. Cedar Point, OH (to ride the rollercoasters).
3. Lock Haven, PA (to see the Piper museum).
4. Stow, MA (to try to find real-world locations in the Fallout universe).

Compulsory stops:

1. Bangor, ME (to file E-APSIS and verify CANPASS was in effect).
2. Goose Bay, Can. (to snooze/fuel prior to starting the crossing).
3. Narsarsuaq, Greenland (fuel/sanity stop).
4. Reykjavik, Iceland (fuel/food/sanity stop).
5. Stornoway, Scotland, G.B. (fuel, food, sanity stop).
6. Norway (multiple stops, bumming north of the Arctic circle. As far north as Tromsø and Hammerfest; as far east as Vardø (we could see Russia from there!).
7. Finland (multiple stops).
8. Copenhagen, Denmark (fuel, food, sanity stop; we weren't quite done with checking out former Viking territories).
9. Wien, Österreich (that's how we say goodbye in Austria).
10. Naples, Italy.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I want to do the same trip in the 182T

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

More UK needed Scav hehehe :mrgreen:

Scav
Senior Airman

Post by Scav »

awash2002 wrote:I want to do the same trip in the 182T
Like an astronaut I once met at an airshow told me: "Do it!" :)
Lewis - A2A wrote:More UK needed Scav hehehe :mrgreen:
I'll get around to it. :) I don't know if FSX is running on outdated/inaccurate navaids/route information, but I've found a good portion of the routes over England seem to like to put people up into the 15,000-21,000' range. I'm not sure if that's because of noise-adverse people or wanting to protect Roman fortifications or NIMBY, but altitude-related anoxia has been the biggest factor in me avoiding lower England so far.

Unless they don't have any hangups about flying direct and sensibly?

Anyway. I'm re-flying this vacation YET AGAIN . . . and this time I've found an aircraft/livery configuration I'm happy with. It's been quite a challenge between my fickle nature (Ooh, shiny!) and really feeling out what the 182 can do, but I'm happy with what I've got now. I'm also taking liberties with Heidi and the other (unnamed?) flying crew, but I'm being sensible about that as well.

In this round I'm preserving the second route posting as much as possible and am actually taking screenshots instead of drooling over the keyboard. So without further guilding the lily and no more adieu, I present:

N6218B
2001 Cessna 182T.
Southeast Texas to Naples, Italy

Day 1
Leg 1: Liberty, TX (T78) to Independence, KS
09:20Z.

The trip started well before dawn in an effort to cover as much ground as possible while being able to spend as much time as possible at the stops of interest. The itinerary for today: Cross Texas and Oklahoma and land at the Cessna Factory in Independence, KS for an early lunch and a benediction of the hallowed grounds of the company that built this fine aircraft.

This shot was taken an hour after departure, somewhere over northeast Texas near possibly Texarkana.

Most of this flight was spent above a morning cloud deck of threatening rain but nothing overly aggressive above. In fact, forecast weather indicated the possibility of morning thunderstorms over central Kansas; hence the drive to cover the distance quickly before moving east. Not a spectacular day for flying, but not a deal-breaker at any rate.

. . . and here we are coming over McAlester, Oklahoma. The weather is deteriorating significantly and noticibly the further north we travel. It turns out that the weather report was accurate -- for four o'clock in the morning -- however, with temperatures remaining in the 16-18C range even at 8,000 feet above the ground combined with all of the humidity in the air . . .

. . . it generated the right call to abort the flight plan further north. Tulsa, OK was right out -- all indications led to a strong cell dumping rain and possibly hail right over the city, and the destination was further north than that. Closest field was KOKM, Okmulgee, OK so that's where we concentrated on.

The area of highest activity remained to the north some 20-30 miles away, but it still made for a rough approach and no time to take pictures.

Sanity restored. We made it on the ground in one piece.

And here we are parked for right now to wait out the storm. The local time is not yet 8 AM (the FBO officially opens then) so there is not much to do at the moment.

Hey, wait a minute! I thought I saw something goofy going on there. Turns out they're all looking northbound -- at the thunderstorm that kept us from going further north at the moment and quite obviously bloviating a storm. I can only imagine what kind of conversation they were having with that poor guy in the biz-caz. :roll:

Leg 2 will include Independence, KS.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”