Cherokee not interacting....

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cherokee not interacting....

Post by Nick - A2A »

BILL1949 wrote:BUT - I can't find it (is it actually named as FSX.cfg?). Checked my user AppData files, likely FSX sub-folders (Config & ConfigData) & files directly in the FSX folder. Where SHOULD I find it?
Sorry Bill - this file is located in the following directory:

• C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

By default this directory is hidden to protect its contents so you may need to 'unhide' it as described here.

There's nothing I can see in your vid which shows me specifically why the sounds aren't working in the Cherokee, but the low FPS (which seem to be typically 6-9) will tend to cause issues with other aspects of the sim such as autopilot functionality.

However, as regards the sounds, it may be worth checking that the following file is present in your installation:

• F:\FSXSE\steamapps\common\FSX\A2A\Cherokee180\Sounds.pk

Thanks,
Nick

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

NICK! YOU GOT IT!!!

It was the sounds.pk file - missing!!

I've tried re-installing the Cherokee a couple of times. The first time, the suggested location was the 'Common' folder, & I then selected the FSX folder. This still gave no sounds in cockpit.

Then I later re-installed again, this time allowing it to install to the 'Common' folder that it was suggesting (ie - without first selecting the FSX folder).

Still no sounds.

Prompted by your previous message today, I checked your suggested path for the .pk file - it wasn't there. I'm sure I've seen it in that location at some point previously - but I've tried so much stuff lately that maybe I got confused....

Anyway, I went to the Cherokee as found in the Common folder (where I'd allowed the install) & there was a sounds.pk there. So I copied/pasted it to the folder that it was missing from (FSX\A2A\Cherokee180) - & VOILA!! It's all back!

Thanks so much Nick for your assistance, perseverance (& your patience).

I can now fly my Cherokee!!

TTFN

Bill
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the update and great to hear we finally pinned down the culprit for the missing sound effects. :D To be honest, I'm still a bit puzzled by the low FPS seen in the video, but at least the main issue is resolved.

You may wish to give steps 3 and 4 in my previous post a try anyway, just in case it helps things. I also suspect your FSX registry entries may be incorrect after the FSX-SE reinstalls discussed earlier in the topic. This is just something to bear in mind if you try to install other add-on software in future.

All the best,
Nick

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Hi Nick

It was yourself who pinned it down sir :).

Yep, I'll try the other things you've mentioned too. FPS-wise, yeah I believe the frame-rate while flying the Spit is better (I guess averaging about 17-20) - so maybe the Cherokee somehow just needs more resources...?
Also, during one flight I did notice that the entries in the auto-pilot display to left of ASI, were a bit random - something like *)#E, or the like, & changing now & then..... It was on but I wasn't using it, & it was OK on a subsequent flight.

I'm not very deeply into the workings of a computer, but the possibility of registry issues (for FSX and/or the Cherokee) had crossed my mind fairly recently because of the persistent no-sound issue (tho' that's now resolved) - but also because of the (quite rare) appearance of a message something like "..attempt to call a nil value..." (or was this due to missing sounds...?). I think this has occurred at some point after loading-in to airfield.
I'm aware of the dangers in changing registry entries, but do you know if there's a way that any incorrect FSX can be identified & corrected....?

Since the sound issues were resolved I've also installed Duxford (inc the air-show & the AI pack) & this is fine, apart from the fact that there are no aircraft parked on the grass - &, tho' the crowds are there, no display aircraft are taxiing or taking off - but I suspect this is just a case of getting the scenery order correct(?).

Cheers Nick.

Bill
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”