Elevator trim axis stuck

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mryan75
Airman

Elevator trim axis stuck

Post by mryan75 »

Hi guys,

I assiged the Rx axis (normally the propeller lever, and I chose this because there's no propeller control on this aircraft) on my Saitek throttle quadrant to be the elevator trim, and no matter what I do now, that won't change. I've unassigned it and restarted. I've changed the assignment. I've tried reversing it. I've deleted the aircraft.cfg file. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of, and no matter what I do, it stays the same. I've even tried assigning the elevator trim axis to the Ry axis (normally the mixture lever), which worked like a charm - now I have two controls that control the elevator trim axis!

No matter what I do it won't change. Any ideas?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Elevator trim axis stuck

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

Have you checked the elevator trim mechanism via a pre-flight inspection (Shift 8 ) or in the maintenance hangar (Shift 7)?

Thanks,
Nick

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

No, I haven't. Would it automatically show if there's a problem?

I was able to mess with axisConfig.cfg in ":\Users\blahblahblah\Documents\A2A\P3D\Cherokee180" and get it working, but I feel like that's a workaround, and I'd like to be able to just reset it to the standard configuration. It still does nothing when I make changes in the P3D settings.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

mryan75 wrote:I was able to mess with axisConfig.cfg in ":\Users\blahblahblah\Documents\A2A\P3D\Cherokee180" and get it working, but I feel like that's a workaround, and I'd like to be able to just reset it to the standard configuration. It still does nothing when I make changes in the P3D settings.
If you've assigned the elevator axis via the Input Configurator, you should just be able to set the axis ID to "disabled" to revert to standard P3D settings.

Checking the maintenance hangar is also probably worthwhile.

Finally, when you installed, did you use the new P3Dv4 installer? If so, it will show version 18.4.22.0 for the Cherokee in the Windows "apps & features" or "uninstall or change a program" window.

Thanks,
Nick

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Nick - A2A wrote:
mryan75 wrote:I was able to mess with axisConfig.cfg in ":\Users\blahblahblah\Documents\A2A\P3D\Cherokee180" and get it working, but I feel like that's a workaround, and I'd like to be able to just reset it to the standard configuration. It still does nothing when I make changes in the P3D settings.
If you've assigned the elevator axis via the Input Configurator, you should just be able to set the axis ID to "disabled" to revert to standard P3D settings.

Checking the maintenance hangar is also probably worthwhile.

Finally, when you installed, did you use the new P3Dv4 installer? If so, it will show version 18.4.22.0 for the Cherokee in the Windows "apps & features" or "uninstall or change a program" window.

Thanks,
Nick
I greatly appreciate your responses, Nick! I did use the P3Dv4 installer. It was installed on June 19. In "apps and features" it doesn't show a version number for the Cherokee, but for P3D it shows 4.2.21.24048. Is there another way to find the version for the Cherokee?

Thanks again,
Mike

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

mryan75 wrote:In "apps and features" it doesn't show a version number for the Cherokee (...)
Okay, thanks Mike.

That indicates you're still using the old installer. The best bet will be for you to reinstall the Cherokee using our new installer for P3Dv4. To get hold of it you should simply be able to re-download from your store of purchase*. If you bought directly from A2A then please see this sticky post for info on how to transfer your account to our new store.

Thanks,
Nick

*Unless you purchased from the FlightSim Store, in which case please let us know.

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Nick - A2A wrote:
mryan75 wrote:In "apps and features" it doesn't show a version number for the Cherokee (...)
Okay, thanks Mike.

That indicates you're still using the old installer. The best bet will be for you to reinstall the Cherokee using our new installer for P3Dv4. To get hold of it you should simply be able to re-download from your store of purchase*. If you bought directly from A2A then please see this sticky post for info on how to transfer your account to our new store.

Thanks,
Nick

*Unless you purchased from the FlightSim Store, in which case please let us know.
Thanks a lot! I will check and let you know if I have any problems!

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

So I just checked, and I bought it from Justflight.com. Which procedure should I use, re-download it from them? Thanks again, Nick!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Mike,

Yes, if you re-download from JustFlight, you should get the new P3Dv4 installer. Appearance wise, the UI is quite a bit different from the previous one so it should be easy to tell.

Any problems, please give us a shout. There are some tips here to help with the reinstall process.

Cheers,
Nick

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hi Mike,

Yes, if you re-download from JustFlight, you should get the new P3Dv4 installer. Appearance wise, the UI is quite a bit different from the previous one so it should be easy to tell.

Any problems, please give us a shout. There are some tips here to help with the reinstall process.

Cheers,
Nick
So I got the correct installer from Justflight (I know this because the file version is now 18.4.22.0, whereas the older installer was v1.0 - I still had it), but now I'm getting the "could not open INSTALL.LOG" error when trying to uninstall. Been fooling around with it a bit and it looks like I'll have to manually delete the folders and run CCcleaner. Nothing else seems to work. Then I'll re-install and have a go (unless you really don't recommend manually deleting and have a better solution).

Thanks again, you've been super helpful!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

The "could not open INSTALL.LOG" error when trying to uninstall with the old installers is one which crops up from time to time Mike. A manual removal of the files won't do any harm. However, you should be able to 'force' an uninstall by following the steps below.

1. Open a command prompt (you can access the command prompt by right clicking the Windows 10 Start Button).

2. Type in the following command and press enter: cd C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\A2A\Cherokee180

3. Then type the following command and press enter: unwise.exe wos_cherokee180.log

This post shows a screenshot (using the example of the C182).

Hope this helps,
Nick

Edit: note that the path shown above is the default installation path, so you may need to customise it if you installed to a different location.

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Nick - A2A wrote:The "could not open INSTALL.LOG" error when trying to uninstall with the old installers is one which crops up from time to time Mike. A manual removal of the files won't do any harm. However, you should be able to 'force' an uninstall by following the steps below.

1. Open a command prompt (you can access the command prompt by right clicking the Windows 10 Start Button).

2. Type in the following command and press enter: cd C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\A2A\Cherokee180

3. Then type the following command and press enter: unwise.exe wos_cherokee180.log

This post shows a screenshot (using the example of the C182).

Hope this helps,
Nick

Edit: note that the path shown above is the default installation path, so you may need to customise it if you installed to a different location.
Excellent! I got most of the way through this process, but I was reading about the uninstall of another aircraft and I didn't know what to enter in the cmd prompt for step 3. Thanks again!

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

All set. I can now set the elevator axis via the Aircraft Configurator, whereas before the Aircraft Configurator was just a blank box. Thanks again!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Mike! :) Happy to hear you're sorted.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”