Interior engine sound vs. exterior engine sound

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Interior engine sound vs. exterior engine sound

Post by TBryson2 »

This question may be more intended for the devs. This actually pertains to all of my A2A aircraft. I’m flying P3d 4.2. All updates have been applied.

I (sometimes) like to use a “ButtKicker” when I fly. Recently I noticed that the engine sounds inside the aircraft do not activate (for the lack of a better term) my ButtKicker, but external engine sounds are no problem.

I do not fly with headsets plugged in (which reduces engine volume inside cockpit) so that’s no solution.

If possible, where would I find the interior cockpit sound files so I can (hopefully) tweak just the frequencies that the ButtKicker responds to? I know where the “sound” folder is for each aircraft, but are these the exterior sounds or are they also used for the interior and somehow being manipulated?
Last edited by TBryson2 on 15 Mar 2018, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Interior engine sound vs. exterior engine sound

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
On A2A aircraft , the cockpit sounds are normally controlled through shift + 3 menu and i believe work outside of the sim but external sounds are via the sim sounds , this may be why butt kicker is not working with your A2A aircraft.
regards alan. 8)

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Well, that was a potential solution, (Forgot you could set the volume in that window), but did not resolve the issue. My volume (Shift + 3) is set for 100% all of the time.

This isn't a deal breaker, but would be nice to resolve.

Thanks Alan!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

not sure how the Buttkicker works but the Accu-sim sound engine plays through the windows default sound device is thats any help.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

The Buttkicker takes the very low frequency sounds (off of the Bass channel) and activates a solenoid (shaker) attached to my chair through an amplifier.

I tested it on all aircraft (A2A or not) and it does the same thing. (P3D issue?).

I was taxing around an airport, and a jet taxiing perpendicular to me produced Buttkicker results whereas the aircraft I was sitting in did not. Buttkicker responded more or less depending on my view angle of the other aircraft.

I did find a setting on my sound system that enhanced it slightly, but not enough to make a difference. I just remember taking off (FSX) and being impressed with the vibrations of engine, runway and landing gear retracting. Not so much anymore. I know I'm a rare breed that uses the Buttkicker, but it was a physical enhancement while it lasted.

Thanks!

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Scott444
Airman

Post by Scott444 »

Try going into sound card settings and bump up the tone option for "bass balance" by 1dB or 2 dB and see if this helps with the buttkicker response. There may also be other advanced sound card options such as "bass boost" that may also help.

Hope this helps!

Scott444

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Thanks Scott, I could do that but when inside the aircraft, I get nothing. “S” key (outside view) and my chair feels like I’m in an earthquake :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Whatever filters are being applied for interior vs exterior view is reducing the db’s too much (for my liking)

(The more I respond, perhaps I’ll convey myself appropriately) :mrgreen:

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sounds like a tech issue rather than a sound issue as the inside should be the same at least on our aircraft. For some reason it sounds like the Buttkicker is only detecting the external stuff and not internal?

thanks,
Lewis

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Lewis, you said it correctly! Only detects external, not internal. That explains why the jet taxiing around (while I was in my Comanche) got a reaction and the Comanche didn’t

I don’t recall having that issue before the latest P3D update, but could be wrong. I don’t use my ButtKicker all of the time. In FSX, it was great!

And again, it’s not just A2A aircraft, but all aircraft.

And yes, in my sound configuration (P3D) I have everything turned up to max.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very strange indeed, you might have to ask around fellow Buttkicker users, is there no way to tell the Buttkicker which sound device to use on the system?

thanks,
Lewis

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

No, the Buttkicker taps off of the bass jack on the sound card so if your using "default", then that is what it uses. (I have two sound cards, "default" is for everything but ATC). All bass signals go directly to it. I could use something like Audacity to fiddle around with the signals and determine which ones the Buttkicker responds to, but that wouldn't remedy my situation in the cockpit. (And it would rob me of precious flight time!) :mrgreen:

Again, it responds wonderfully on an outside view. Not so much on interior views. (Which is where I'm at 99% of the time!) Even in the cockpit view, "externally" created sounds (landing gear, bumps on pavement...) should come through, but are not. Only other aircrafts engines are making it work. An odd thing.

IF I find a cure, I'll certainly post it here. I was (kind of) hoping there were other Buttkicker users on this site that have experienced the same thing. But again, I'm a rare breed.

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”