Autopilot altitude hold does too much!

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
lars667
Airman

Autopilot altitude hold does too much!

Post by lars667 »

Hi

I have a bit odd problem in the Cherokee. As you all know, the AP of this aircraft doesn't really change pitch, but gives a visual que as to trim the plane. But now all of a sudden, my Cherokee goes into a dive or stall (as if it had some preprogrammed altitude) when I press the button. I've checked if there are any keybindings for the P3D v4.1 autopilot that could've been activated, but it makes no difference if I press the appropriate shortcut.

I don't use FSUIPC, but there seems to be some traces of it maybe after I used SPAD.next. But I haven't used this for a while, could this cause problems like this?

I haven't reinstalled simconnect and restarted yet, I just remembered. Will try this first. Apologies if posting prematurely :D

Edit: Reinstalling simconnect didn't do anything.

I also have addons Active Sky for P3Dv4 and Chaseplane/TrackIR activated.

I ran the latest updater yesterday, but it didn't do anything as I think I've done it before.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Autopilot altitude hold does too much!

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

what changed on your setup/system between it not happening and happening. Something has changed and tracing that down would be first thing to figure out as it'll make tracking down the issue much easier.

Also just in case its not tech support but aircraft, how is the aircraft on pre-flight walkaround, maint hanger etc?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

lars667
Airman

Post by lars667 »

Hi Lewis. Thanks for quick response as always.

There has not been any significant changes. I did swap yokes back and forth (CH yoke to MS Sidewinder and back to CH) at some stage. I have not dared upgrading to 4.2 yet.

Now I vaguely remembered something like this happening once in the A2A 182 or 172 and just tested AP behaviour in the 172 trainer. Normally when you turn on the AP it will maintain roll and pitch, right? Mine just takes to the sky (eventually stalling) or dives instantly when engaging AP. After a bit of tweaking of VS it will stabilize, however, when I try to disengage AP again, the plane plummets towards the ground. So there seems to be some funky stuff happening to the VS parameter when engaging and disengaging...

I did use the saitek AP and multi panels before, but disconnected them because I felt they didn't make a realistic addon to the A2A ACs. But I do think AP has worked properly after that. Not sure exactly when it happened, as I haven't been simming a lot lately.

I checked maintenance hangar, and everything was fine. It just stated that the plane ought to be flown more often :) 172 is perfect condition. I've turned off weather now to eliminate that.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Double check your control mappings in the sim, 3rd party software and the A2A input config, sounds like a run away trim

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

When you were using your sidewinder, did you use fsforce? That makes all my ap pitch operations go funny.

lars667
Airman

Post by lars667 »

Sunjunkiesi: Thanks!!! Actually I do have FSForce installed. I didn't think it would influence anything as appeared to quit when not detecting the joystick. However, having disabled it from the profile manager, all the planes again work as expected. I have had some strange trim behaviours too but didn't connect the dots. I guess I could have just chosen "FSX" trim option in the profile manager as well.

Thanks again :D

lars667
Airman

Post by lars667 »

lars667 wrote:Sunjunkiesi: Thanks!!! Actually I do have FSForce installed. I didn't think it would influence anything as appeared to quit when not detecting the joystick. However, having disabled it from the profile manager, all the planes again work as expected. I have had some strange trim behaviours too but didn't connect the dots. I guess I could have just chosen "FSX" trim option in the profile manager as well.

Thanks again :D
And of course thanks to Lewis as well, you were spot on ;)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”