lost my steering

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: lost my steering

Post by Oracle427 »

Reading back through all the posts, I saw you mentioned that you have installed the Cherokee to a location outside the default.

When you ran the updater you mentioned that it was trying to direct the update to the C: drive, but your install is on the F: drive.

If simconnect is doing it's thing based on the year you conducted, now I'm wondering if the install of the Cherokee itself is corrupt.

How did you direct the install to the F: drive and was there any manual copying of files involved?

One of the things that LM changed in v4 was the add-in folder structure, and they moved it outside of the P3D structure. There are several references that must be properly configured for P3D to find the add-on files and for correct execution.

There is another factor of permission in the sim to execute the Accusim.dll file. That prompt as I recall will come up once and you must allow it to execute or else the add-on will fail to work. I haven't a clue how to check if the .dll execution is presently blocked in the P3D sim, or how to force the sim to ask again, but I think this might be worth investigating.

In FSX there is a file, IIRC, that tracks what dlls are enabled and blocked.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Thank you, finally someone with a technical explanation of what might be going on. From what I recall, the first time I installed the 180, I simply pointed the installation to my F drive which is a 1tb SSD where the program is also installed. This was done when my machine had win 7 for an os. The installation program created all the folders outside of the P3D folder with the a main folder called A2A an inside that folder were folders for gauges, effects, simobjects, and a couple others. Also in the folder was a .xml file. I actually duplicated that set-up to create other folders for all my other add-on aircraft but never changed what the initial A2A cherokee installer setup. Here's the rub, my ssd with my os died after all that and I needed to replace it so I took advantage of the situation and upgraded to w 10 at that point. Now the cherokee was still working after that and it wasn't until I applied the accusim update that everything broke. I think things got lost during the os update. However, I since reinstalled the 180 (a few times now) so I don't know why things aren't ok after the reinstals. Again, even after the reinstall of the Cherokee, things don't break until I apply the 4.1 accusim fix. I think there's some files regarding drm that are "lost" somewhere and the drm process thinks this is a bad install. I haven't moved any of the Cherokee files manually. I have added repaints but I'm not sure how that would effect these issues. Maybe I should do another reinstall and follow through again but I would bet my house I'd get the same result. Plus I feel like every time I do a reinstall I'm making whatever the issue is worse.

LouP

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

There have been reports of repaints corrupting the installation, but I do not know if it will cause control issues you are seeing. I would avoid the deposits while troubleshooting this issue as it's one less variable to juggle.

When you say things are ok after a reinstall, but prior to installing the v4.1 patch, I gather that you can manipulate all the control surfaces, and the maintenance hangar does not show everything broken, but nosewheel steering does not function.

Then once you apply the patch, all control surfaces stop working and the maintenance hangar shows everything as broken, and steering still does not work.

This is the current summary as I understand to date.

I don't recall anyone else ever having an issue like this one, but your setup is most definitely unusual to begin with.

As I don't have P3D, I my hope is that restating this information will help with the debugging process. Provided that I have stated correct information.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

This is correct, should I do another reinstall and get back to this point with no repaints? Or maybe do anther reinstall and stop before the accusim update is applied with no other modifications (repaints) applied for analysis purposes?

Thanks for your help on this.

LouP

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I would wait for someone with P3D specific experience to chime in. I'm afraid I can't compare notes with my FSX Acceleration install. :(

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Is this now a closed ticket??

LouP

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just to sum up, your steering works in your 4.1 before you apply the 4.1 fix?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

LOL Nope, that's why I apply it. I think I am going to reinstall and not apply the fix. At least I can limp over to take off.

LouP

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

OK, reinstalled and everything works great including the maintenance hanger EXCEPT for my steering. I loaded up on an active runway and took a long nice flight but when I got to where I was going, there was no way I was able to taxi to the parking area. I mean, if I had a simconnect problem, wouldn't it show up now before the update?

LouP

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It depends on your setup, if you have modded yoursetup you may have turned the simconnect warnings off

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Regardless of simconnect, everything is working right now except for the steering. How can you still say it's a simconnect problem. I am so confused by the responses I get in these forums at times.

LouP

PS. I have not modded my OS at all, I wouldn't know how to. And the 180 is a fresh install with nothing added or changed.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

OK, the installer put the aircraft in a completely different folder this time. It created a user path on my F: drive (F:\Users\MyName......). Very weird but it all seemed to work OK so maybe I think it needs to be in it's own folder. So Apply the update... again, and she breaks.... again. Don't tell me my simconnect is broke, please. It only breaks after the accusim update. There is something not right in that update period..... I uninstalled the 180 and unless a whole new installer (with the update included) is issued she's not going back on this machine. What a waste of money and it's a sin what is happening with customer support these days (everywhere not just here). :roll:

LouP

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hey LouP, hang on in there for a bit. I appreciate that the issues you're experiencing are frustrating, but it's hard to troubleshoot when the issue is an isolated one. By that, I mean not one that any other users have reported as far as I'm aware.
LouP wrote: So Apply the update... again, and she breaks.... again.
Can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean by "she breaks"? Also, can you tell us the path you've got Prepar3D installed to? If you're willing to carry on trying to resolve the issue, I have a couple of suggestion:

1. Make sure the P3D platform itself is properly updated. For example, please can you double-check the installed P3D version numbers as shown here and here? When it comes to updating P3D, you must uninstall the existing client and content components before installing the new versions. More details in this post on the Avsim forums.

2. Try deleting the *.dat files for the Cherokee. They can be found in "Documents\A2A\FSX\Cherokee180" (yes, even for a P3D only installation). The *.dat file records the aircraft state and a new one will be generated next time you run the Cherokee.
LouP wrote:(...) I uninstalled the 180 and unless a whole new installer (with the update included) is issued she's not going back on this machine.
If it's any comfort, A2A are working on updating their installers. :)

Thanks,
Nick

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Hi Nick,

No worries, though I am frustrated. By breaks, It's what I've been repeating through out this thread. None of the controls work and by that I mean they are frozen in place, Everything needs repair, I'm out of oil, the tires are shot, the engine needs an overhaul........... and the repair functions do not do anything to fix the problems. I tested this before I applied the accusim update to fix the steering (several times) and everything worked OK except for the steering.

Don't worry about it, I'm tired of repeating the issues over and over again and the only response I get is that my simconnect is broke. Maybe it is something on my machine but I think I know enough to strongly suspect that the accusim updater is causing the problem. I've been tinkering pretty heavily in this hobby since before CFS 1 and you were Shockwave. Things have changed a lot.

Last time I ran the JoinFS aircraft updater, it found over 5,300 models on my install that all work fine so I have plenty to do. I'll wait for the new installer. Also, I suspect I'm not alone, just the only one speaking up. But that's an opinion.

LouP

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

LouP wrote:Hi Nick,

No worries, though I am frustrated. By breaks, It's what I've been repeating through out this thread. None of the controls work and by that I mean they are frozen in place, Everything needs repair, I'm out of oil, the tires are shot, the engine needs an overhaul........... and the repair functions do not do anything to fix the problems. I tested this before I applied the accusim update to fix the steering (several times) and everything worked OK except for the steering.

Don't worry about it, I'm tired of repeating the issues over and over again and the only response I get is that my simconnect is broke. Maybe it is something on my machine but I think I know enough to strongly suspect that the accusim updater is causing the problem. I've been tinkering pretty heavily in this hobby since before CFS 1 and you were Shockwave. Things have changed a lot.

Last time I ran the JoinFS aircraft updater, it found over 5,300 models on my install that all work fine so I have plenty to do. I'll wait for the new installer. Also, I suspect I'm not alone, just the only one speaking up. But that's an opinion.

LouP
We have an open forum, in 25,000+ users unfortunatly you are the only one with this issue. I would wager money on it being either simconnect or P3D not being updated correctly. I can not see how it could be anything else, the updater would have caused many a thread here if it was at fault given its a requirement for P3D users at this time.

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”