Alternator died

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
a.r.t.e.m.k.a
Airman Basic

Alternator died

Post by a.r.t.e.m.k.a »

Hello!
During a flight at night stop work the alternator!first of all lights of cockpit start to coming dark,then AP,then COM/NAV/GPS became off!that is show that accum discharge

I've charged acc,make overhaul-alternator not working,in flight sources of acc energy going down after a 30-40 minutes of flight,that is shows that alternator unservisable

At A2A pa-28-180 writed that in case of alternator failure I need to switch Off/On alternator,try to pull/push circuit breaker,etc. but where is that switcher and breaker on Pa-28??

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Alternator died

Post by Scott - A2A »

Two breakers just below the heading indicator, either takes the generator out.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

a.r.t.e.m.k.a
Airman Basic

Post by a.r.t.e.m.k.a »

Scott - A2A wrote:Two breakers just below the heading indicator, either takes the generator out.

Scott.
I didn't seen it!Thanks man,you're save my live!!))

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

A minute point, but the instructions in the manual seem to apply to a later model, which specifically had alternator switches.

In a typical early system, pulling the ALT FIELD breaker is effectively equivalent to putting an alternator switch off - actually, one may note how it perhaps occurred to make "a split master" kind of switch, as used in Cessnas, if you view the schematic. Here the master is effectively the same, but a single throw switch is used, controlling both the alternator and the battery system. The ALT FIELD is the one named "ALTERNATOR CIRCUIT PROTECTOR 5 AMP". You would not want to pull the "main" breaker, or the bigger-rated one, first if just disabling the alternator.

I don't remember whether the A2A Cherokee had its breakers labelled after a plane using alternator-type generator, or the old-school, shunt-wound dynamo style (misleadingly contrasted as alternators and generators in aviation talk, entirely for historical reasons).

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”