GTN 650 Problem

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

GTN 650 Problem

Post by Ray Mengel »

I am hoping that someone may offer a tech. solution to this problem.
--I am currently using P3D version 3.4 on Windows 10 OS
--After I installed the Cherokee 180 I went to the A2A A/C configurator, selected (check mark) GTN650, clicked on apply or okay, received the confirmation placard the changes will take place . . . ., and closed out the A/C config. tool.
--In P3D selected the Cherokee--on the "initial" flight all is fine--GTN650 powers up as it should and works fine. I enjoy the flight and at the end, close out flight and sim.
--When I chose the Cherokee again for another flight, this time the GTN650 will not power up (turn on) when main Avionics power switch is turned on. The "Old School" avionics power up and work fine. I have tried to recycle the main Avionics power switch several times with no success. The GTN650 will not turn on. I tried the 2D pop up but it is same--not turned on. When I select Shift +3 I believe it is GTN650 shows as the GPS selected.
--I close out P3D, go back to the A2A aircraft config. tool for the 180, "recheck" GTN650--the initial flight after doing so again for this aircraft--the GTN650 will power up and work fine. For whatever reason it is not turning on for the next flight.
--The other two A2A aircraft that I have, the Comanche and the Cessna 182 the selected GTN650 or GTN750 powers up & works fine every time the aircraft is selected. It is only with the 180 that I am having this problem. I thought I would try here first hoping to resolve this problem before I go to the Flight1 forum.

Thanks,

Raymie

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: GTN 650 Problem

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

how is the breaker, and what is your default flight?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I first start with a "default" P3D aircraft at whatever location to be flown from.

Then, I shut down completely the default aircraft.

Then from the "vehicle" tab, I select one of the A2A aircraft (i.e. Cherokee 180). I have done both normal procedure check list start of the 180 as well as Control + E. Either way, the GTN650 does not power up when the master avionics switch is on.

If I shut down the sim, go back into the aircraft configuator and selected again the GTN650 option, the GTN650 will power up for that initial (first) flight. Any flight afterward in the 180, the GTN650 will not power up.

I did not check the circuit breaker since the other avionics are all powered up. It is only the GTN650 that does not power up (turn on).

Also, after purchasing the 180 via your recent sale, I did download the current core update and I ran it.

Thanks,

Raymie

Raymie

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Hi Lewis,

Just finished a short x-country flight in this aircraft.

--The GTN650 dose power up when main avionics switch is turned on. What is not working is the display. The screen is black and stays that way throughout the flight.
--"Nav Source #1 GTN650"
--In Shift +6 I selected the "On" for Com. #1--but no difference--the display screen stays black. I cycled the on and off selection but the screen stays black.
--In Shift +6 I selected a VOR nav frequency. The #1 VOR gauge works fine--needle tracks selected course
--The autopilot in Nav mode tracks #1 VOR course.
--The DME works fine for #1 VOR. It tracks the distance to vor station
--During preflight check the radio fuses--they were working fine.
It is odd, on the first flight after selecting the GTN650 in the A2A aircraft config. the display screen works fine, but stays black for the next flights after that. I was hoping to possibly get some more viewer "hits" on this post thinking that maybe someone else has experienced this same problem. That's why I put this post in the Tech Support section.

Raymie

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

If anyone should read this post--with the problem that I have experience as previously described, I decided to select the GTN750 to see if I would experience the same problem.
--I made this selection via the A2A aircraft config. tool but this time did so with administrator's permission.
--I have flown this aircraft now with the GTN 750 installed and experienced no problems. Each flight, it powers up via the main avionics switch and the display works fine.

I have no idea why the GTN 650 did not work properly as explained in earlier posts. I looked at the Flight1 GTN 750\650 support forum with no real answers as well. This may remain an unsolved mystery unless someone reads this that has experienced the same problem and has been able to resolve it.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

one thing to check is that your GPS is all updated? And that it works without everything shutdown in the default flight but running.

thanks,
Leiws

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Thanks Lewis for your reply. I will look into this more closely as I may not have the latest version of this GPS.

Raymie

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

One thing to check is the GTN.ini file in the individual aircraft folder.
Some GTN sections have radio=0 and others radio=1.
I had the same thing with the DC-6 last night, as well as the T6 I have been flying the past few weeks and the civ P51. Probably the Connie as well from memory.
Set radio=1 appears to switch on the GTN after an aircraft reload or similar.
Cheers
Trev

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Thanks for the suggestion as I will check that out.

One thing I have noticed, if I use "CTRL + E" to start either the Cessna 182, Cherokee 180 or the Comanche I have this problem. If I use the "Check list" natural engine start, I do not. Something possibly about the automatic engagement of the avionics master switch when using the "CTRL + E method??

Raymie

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Something back-end is not getting turned on, I would guess the default flight cold and dark is the issue as some settings cross over to the next flights. I would imagine something is turned off that isn't normally present or have an option to turn off or some such from one aircraft to the next.

thanks,
Lewis

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

Hi Lewis,

On my initial "boot up" of P3D, I selected one of the P3D "default aircraft" such as the Mooney or the Maule at the airport of my departure.

I would shut down everything so it would be a complete "cold & dark" cockpit. Then I would select the A2A aircraft, in this case the Cherokee 180. Both the default Mooney and Maule do not have the Flight1 GTN--only the generic avionics. Not sure why the GTN 650 in the Cherokee was powered up via the master avionics switch but black display screen. This problem did not show itself when the GTN750 was selected for the 180.

However, my latest update is this--I did discover that both the 750 & 650 units had not been updated to the latest version for P3D v. 3.4. After doing the update, I have flown the A2A Cessna 182 several times with both GTN units selected. So far so good--no powered up 650 with a black screen problem. I have done the same procedure as noted above for cold and dark default flight set up. Both units power up. work and display as they should when turned on via the master avionics switch. I will return to the Cherokee 180 with just the 650 unit selected and see what happens. I hope this is a fix, as other simmers have noted they too have experienced what they call the "black screen bug".

Thanks Lewis for your attention and suggestions to this post. Appreciated!

Raymie

Ray Mengel
Airman First Class

Post by Ray Mengel »

And thank you Treetop as well for your suggestions.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh yes, not being updated will cause issues

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”