Cherokee radios don't light up.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Cherokee radios don't light up.

Post by Ron Attwood »

OK, I give up! Cherokee radios do not light up in P3Dv4. They work fine in v3. I've switched every switch, tested every contact breaker and compared v3 configs etc. etc. with v4. Both the same! The backlight knob is turned fully right, the contact breaker turns off the GPS lights which I presume is the same one for the radio stack. Yes, they're turned on. No mention of the problem in the hangar or on a walkaround. Nothing(I can find) in the manual.( I really, really read it!)

This issue is out of all proportion, given that I never use the bloody radios anyway! :D I just hate to see the blank looks they give me.
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Cherokee radios don't light up.

Post by Nick - A2A »

I don't suppose it'll come as much comfort Ron, but my Cherokee radio lighting works fine in P3Dv4. Having said that, there's not much which lights up on the old gal: just the audio panel buttons, ADF buttons and transponder numerals.

Yep, it's the "instr lights" breaker which would be the likely culprit, but sounds like you've tried that... :?

Do you mean that the radios aren't coming on at all though? If so, it could be that the "Cherokee.dll" isn't being loaded for some reason.

Cheers,
Nick

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Thanks for the sympathy Nick. The radio knobs are 'on' but there's no-one at home. Well' they might be but they're hiding behind the sofa. It's not just the radios, it's the transponder too. Perhaps I'll copy over the Cherokee.dll from v3 and see what happens. *sigh*

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

So, the radios are properly dead then! How about the digital clock and the Davtron DVOR gauge above it? If they're working, we can probably rule out that DLL from our enquiries.

Nick

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Ahah! :D I didn't notice those two...Dead too! :(

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I've replaced the Cherokee.dll and the _Illuminations.dll and guess what....Nothing. :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Ron - is this definitely a platform-specific issue? In other words, when you say "they work fine in v3" do you mean you've still got the Cherokee installed in P3Dv.3 and have tested since the v.4 install? If so, this would seem to rule out a issue with the (shared) log.dat file.

If all the avionics are dead including the chronometer, it seems to point to an issue with the Cherokee.dll. I'm not sure what would prevent it loading though. :? (With FSX, the FSX.cfg was used to set DLL 'permissions' but this isn't the case in P3D.) Do the avionics in your other A2A stuff seem to be working okay in v.4?

Thanks,
Nick

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Summary: The Cherokee works as it should in P3Dv3. All the other A2A P3Dv4 aircraft work as they should in v4 except the Cherky. Last try before Lewis comes on with the simple answer and an apology for my trauma and a 'Have a Free v4 Spitfire'.
I'll uninstall it and reinstall it.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Ron Attwood wrote:Last try before Lewis comes on with the simple answer and an apology for my trauma and a 'Have a Free v4 Spitfire'. I'll uninstall it and reinstall it.
Don't do that! It'll only make 'im mad! To be honest though - it can't do any harm can it... :mrgreen:

Nick

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Progress. Uninstalled. I had installed all my A2As in the Prepar3dv4 folder with no effects except this little bleeder! Reinstalled and let A2A have it's head..My Documents. If you guessed this time it worked, you'd be right!
Now the logic of this didn't add up, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled into the Prepar3dv4 folder...again. Are you keeping up? :D
AND IT WORKED!
I haven't put the GPS in yet, that, along with added paints etc. I'll put in bit by bit. I will find the gremlin! :evil:

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

GPS installed along with my 'Special' 530 pop-up. In case you were thinking it was a ricket in the panel config, I used the one I had previously doctored.
Anyway, STILL WORKING! :D

Added a few paints. STILL WORKING!

Thanks for holding my hand Nick, you were the only one who cared. :cry:

Case closed.

Cue Lewis: "Glad you got it sorted. Happy flying" :lol:

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Good work Mr Attwood! I believe that Lewis character is gallivanting around some overgrown colonial airshow... So, er, Happy Flying! :mrgreen:

Nick

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Ron Attwood wrote: Thanks for holding my hand Nick, you were the only one who cared. :cry:
so not true, I cared as well, but as I don't use V4, I trusted Nick to do the hands on support :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yeah - well all care Ron. We care a lot! :lol:

Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey peoples,

tried to follow but you install in your p3dv4 root?

If so that would be a reason for issues and also mean you'd be reinstalling every P3Dv4 update, totally would recommend against this as its a step backwards and means un-needed re-installs potentially every P3D hotfix.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”