Cherokee 180 DME

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
chewit
Airman First Class

Cherokee 180 DME

Post by chewit »

Hi lads.
Please a little help needed on my Cherokee's DME!. I can set whole numbers up in my DME. i.e. 332, but for the life of me I can't fathom out how to set up decimals i.e. NDB.CAM is 332.5 according to plan G.
I have looked at the manuals (Honest I have) but I see no mention of part numbers or how to put them into the machine
Thanks in advance!.
Mike. :oops:

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Cherokee 180 DME

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I don't own the 180, but in the Cessna's you'll have to use "Shift+6" to bring up the radio pop up. that will allow you to tune to .5's
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Mike,

I think you mean ADF rather than DME. Anyway, the real Bendix King KR 87 ADF doesn't support decimal frequency entry and this is reproduced in the A2A version. FSX is a bit unrealistic in that frequencies have to be precisely tuned to the given frequency to pick up on a navaid: the solution in the A2A aircraft as Tomas says is to use the shift+6 'quick radios' 2-D pop-up panel to tune in the .5.

If you toggle between active and standby ADF frequencies any .5 setting will be retained (just not visible) so that would be a way to avoid having to use the shift+6 panel more than once per session. You just need to try and remember which of the two frequencies you've assigned the .5 to. :wink:

Cheers,
Nick

chewit
Airman First Class

Post by chewit »

Thank you boys that has done the trick.
I know A2A try to be as accurate as is possible?!. But I think a little bit of poetic licence would have been ok with the radios I spent ages looking through the manufacturers manual to try to find the solution In reality as there are .50. on a chart I would have thought that Bendix or who-ever would have made a button stroke for it
Still a work around as been found and I would never have known about it without You boys
Thank you
:lol:

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Unfortunately, this is an FSX issue that affects all aircraft. A2A went the extra mile and offered a page that allows one to dial in the decimal portion. Most aircraft won't give you this option at all.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Hey guys,

I've run into the same issue, and I do mean the DME, not the ADF. You can dial in the 109 - 118, and between .00 and .05, but that's it. In other words, I can put in 109.00 or 109.05, 110.00 / 110.05, but no other decimal. And when I hit shift+6 for the radio stack it brings up NAV1/2, COM1/2, ADF and transponder, but not the DME.

Kind of hard to fly VOR-DME approaches without a DME. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hey Mike,

Left clicking that middle dial on the KN 64 DME set switches between entering frequencies ending in .?0 and .?5 as you've noted. However, you'll need to use your mouse wheel to rotate the dial to enter other frequencies. Or just use the set in 'RMT' mode if you find this easier.

Thanks,
Nick

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Nick - A2A wrote:Hey Mike,

Left clicking that middle dial on the KN 64 DME set switches between entering frequencies ending in .?0 and .?5 as you've noted. However, you'll need to use your mouse wheel to rotate the dial to enter other frequencies. Or just use the set in 'RMT' mode if you find this easier.

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks Nick! Let me give that a try. Not sure what you mean by the RMT mode, but I'll try the mouse wheel.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

In RMT (remote) mode Mike, the frequency of the DME set is actually controlled by the NAV1 radio instead. It's only when it's in 'FREQ' mode that it allows you to enter the frequency directly into the set.

For a lot of operations, RMT mode is more convenient.

Cheers,
Nick

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

Nick - A2A wrote:In RMT (remote) mode Mike, the frequency of the DME set is actually controlled by the NAV1 radio instead. It's only when it's in 'FREQ' mode that it allows you to enter the frequency directly into the set.

For a lot of operations, RMT mode is more convenient.

Cheers,
Nick
Sure seems that way, plus I have my mouse wheel set for minor trim adjustments. I'm going to try RMT and see how it works. Will report, thanks!

mryan75
Airman

Post by mryan75 »

It works, the only thing is that my GTN650 is set as NAV1, so I essentially lose the use of 2 NAV radios when I do it this way, but it works.

To give you a better idea, I was just flying the ILS7 approach to KART, which has a DME Arc. So I have to tune the 650 (NAV1) to 109.8 to do the arc, then when I'm done with that I have to switch the 650 to 111.1 to fly the ILS, only when I do that, I lose the DME...

Although as I write this, I realize I should be then picking up DME off the ILS frequency. Anyway, I may have to play around with it, but it works. Thanks!

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”