Big problems with newly installed & updated Cherokee

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Pete Dowson
Airman Basic

Big problems with newly installed & updated Cherokee

Post by Pete Dowson »

I've just splashed out and purchased the Cherokee 180 package for FSX & P3D Pro. I've already got the new JustFlight Arrow, but I wanted to compare them.

After installing the package into P3D Pro version 3.4, and installing the update from the website, I loaded P3D and proceeded to select the UK registered, Cherokee 5.

After a black screen for many seconds, it finally displayed the (presumably) default view virtual cockpit. However, whenever I try to do anything, it hangs for a long time (Windows saying "not responding" and the screen going the milky white if I click on it). Even just selecting a menu hangs.

Changing views is impossible -- it just hangs again for many seconds. In its current state it is totally unusable.

I've no idea what is wrong -- obviously it must be something to do with my system, but what could it be? The JustFlight one runs perfectly, as do all the default P3D aircraft (at least, those I've tried).

The only add-on apart from thiese is FSUIPC. If I enable its Console Logging I see that the A2A code is logging "Error, no table returned" is huge batches, maybe 50-80 times fast, each time. It seems that P3D is only active during this time. When the logging stps, P3D is frozen again. After some of these periods, with FSUIPC also frozen and not receiving SimConnect data, the latter reinitiales its SimConnect connection because of time out.

I will try installing it into my FSX-SE folder too, to see if this has the same problems. Meanwhile I have downloaded A2A Doctor, so I could run that for more information for you if you like.

Regards
Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson
Airman Basic

Re: Big problems with newly installed & updated Cherokee

Post by Pete Dowson »

I've now installed it and updated it for my FSX-SE installation, with exectly the same results. I just can't work out what is so desperately wrong!

Oh, I forgot to mention, as well as FSUIPC I am using MyTraffic6.

I can't see how FSUIPC would be a problem with the Cherokee, but I'll now try without FSUIPC loading.

Pete

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Pete and welcome! (Is that the FSUIPC Pete Dowson? :) )

Perhaps one possibility here is the SimConnect libraries for P3D have become corrupted. Have you tried reinstalling or repairing the SimConnect.msi from the FSX-SP2-XPACK folder in the "Prepar3D v3\redist\Interface" directory?

I (and many other A2A customers) use the A2A and-ons and FSUIPC without issues (provided certain settings such as the extended battery life are not enabled.)

Cheers,
Nick

Pete Dowson
Airman Basic

Post by Pete Dowson »

Nick M wrote:Hello Pete and welcome! (Is that the FSUIPC Pete Dowson? :) )
Yes, it is I.
Perhaps one possibility here is the SimConnect libraries for P3D have become corrupted. Have you tried reinstalling or repairing the SimConnect.msi from the FSX-SP2-XPACK folder in the "Prepar3D v3\redist\Interface" directory?
Not on this PC (which is not the intended PC on which I have a Piper Arrow cockpit (a GA28R, one of 5 made by Aerosoft Australia -- currently under maintenance).

But surely, all the A2A components are DLLs running in the sim process, are they not? Just like FSUIPC, which uses SimConnect profusely. On FSX (now tried as well, see previous message of mine), FSUIPC is happily using the SP2/Accel version of SimConnect.DLL too. Being in-process it would not be using the TCP/IP data route, but the more direct memory transfer one. That is certainly okay on this PC -- but I am not so sure about SimConnect access from an external process (on this PC only).
I (and many other A2A customers) use the A2A and-ons and FSUIPC without issues (provided certain settings such as the extended battery life are not enabled.)
Yes, I understood that from the browsing I did first to try to find reasons. And I get exactly the same results without FSUIPC in any case.

I suspect the external SimConnect interface is broken on this PC, because

a) I broke it "accidentally" a long time ago when trying to research a programmatic way of repairing it on users' PCs -- with success in WinXP days, but not at all with Win7 :-(. It's all very complex involving lots of obscure registry entries, and the only real way of "repairing" it is by reinstalling Windows from scratch, which I'm not willing to do at present.

b) I don't use any external SimConnect processes on this PC. I was only installing the Cherokee here because I wanted to compare it with the new JustFkight Arrow before deciding which one to re-program my Piper cockpit driver for. It would be easier for me to do this here, on my development PC than in the cockpit room.

However, if the problem is not a recognised one (diagnosed perhaps from the odd repeating Debug message it logs), then I will leave it till next week and install them both on my Piper cockpit PC to compare them there.

Thanks for the answer.
Pete
Last edited by Pete Dowson on 30 Mar 2017, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the additional info Pete. The registry modifications you mentioned do sound like a possible cause, but I'm afraid that the content of this thread is rather above my pay grade!

I'm only a customer/community member but perhaps one of the A2A devs can elaborate a bit more on whether the external SimConnect processes you mention are critical here.

Best regards,
Nick

Pete Dowson
Airman Basic

Post by Pete Dowson »

Okay. Not to worry -- at least not till I try it on the Piper cockpit. Maybe Monday.

Pete

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Pete good to see you here.

Since release 2 years ago I have never seen nor seen reported the symptoms you mention in relation to any known error so with the simconnect issues you mention I think that's a fair place to start.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”