Short key for autopilot?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
sandi
Airman First Class

Short key for autopilot?

Post by sandi »

Hi, and first of all happy new year to, y’all.
right on, does the plane have any keys for the autopilot? If no, i am assuming the most of you like clicking with the mouse but almost blind that is not an option for me , can i assign some keys for different modes?

Sandi

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Short key for autopilot?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Sandi - Happy New Year to you too!

You can assign all the autopilot functions of the Cherokee using the A2A Cherokee Input Configurator (available from the Windows Start Menu). Most of them can be assigned to simple buttons or key presses, whilst the steering knob can be assigned to an axis instead.

Hope this helps,
Nick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Happy New year and yes as Nick says you can program most the cockpit using the included tool and additonally most everything else using our cockpit builder LVar list too, coupled with something such as FSUIPC;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=40603

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

Hi, guys, Inputconfig, tells me i don’t have a joystick, and it is right about that , i definitely don’t, Okay, so basically, if i wanna use the Cockpit variables, i need the other program right? maybe an easier way was for me to overwrite the autopilot.
No seriously, the overwriting part will be the last result. How do i change the A2a variables, though? note i know next to nothing about windows, and am slowly learning.
Best Sandi

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

You don't need a joystick for the Input Configurator shortcuts to work, you can assign keystrokes as well as far as I know.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, as molleh says, no need to use a joystick as the input configurator will work just fine with keyboard inputs. Much easier than fiddling around with FSUIPC and L:Vars too! :)

Nick

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

Hi, Sorry guys, but , my configurator says, error , no joystick, and that is that , as far as i can see. And then i have an ok, key i can press. Am on windows 7
Sandi

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

sandi wrote:Hi, Sorry guys, but , my configurator says, error , no joystick, and that is that , as far as i can see. And then i have an ok, key i can press. Am on windows 7
Sandi
Hi sandi,

I've found also that at least one controller must be plugged in for the input configurator to start. Alternatively, I believe you can edit the axisConfig.cfg file to add keystroke triggers. axisConfig.cfg is located under documents\A2A\FSX\ in the folder for the specific aircraft and can be edited with notepad.

Hope this helps.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

renaissanceman wrote:I've found also that at least one controller must be plugged in for the input configurator to start.
Thanks for the clarification Jim - I wasn't aware of that having never tried running it without a joystick connected! :)
renaissanceman wrote:Alternatively, I believe you can edit the axisConfig.cfg file to add keystroke triggers. axisConfig.cfg is located under documents\A2A\FSX\ in the folder for the specific aircraft and can be edited with notepad.
Good idea: I believe the default syntax is for there to be a space between the text and any shortcut as shown in my example below:

Code: Select all

Disable_Shortcuts 
Yoke_AP_Disconnect Ctrl+Shift+Z
Yoke_AP_Mode Tab
Yoke_AP_Alt VK_Backslash
Autopilot_Master Z
Trim_Up joystick:0:button:3
Trim_Down joystick:0:button:2
Magneto_Inc. 
Magneto_Dec. 
Engine_Starter E
Cockpit_Ventilation 
Carb_Heat H
Headphones Ctrl+H
Red_Cockpit_Light Shift+L
White_Cockpit_Light L
Battery_ON Shift+B
Battery_OFF Ctrl+B
Cheers,
Nick

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

Hi, i did not have that file in the folder described, i did however copy paste the lines into a file called that , and placed it in the folder, where it was suppose to go, no luck. What am i doing wrong ? :)

Sandi

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

sandi wrote:Hi, i did not have that file in the folder described, i did however copy paste the lines into a file called that , and placed it in the folder, where it was suppose to go, no luck. What am i doing wrong ? :)

Sandi
Hey sandy, as soon as I get a minute I'll copy and paste the entire content of the cfg file here so you can create your own. Happy new year!
Steph

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Post by renaissanceman »

sandi wrote:Hi, i did not have that file in the folder described, i did however copy paste the lines into a file called that , and placed it in the folder, where it was suppose to go, no luck. What am i doing wrong ? :)

Sandi
Hi Sandi,

It sounds like you do not have any controllers you can plug in. Perhaps this is necessary to activate the input configurator the first time. I just checked my G:\Users\Jim\Documents\A2A\FSX\Cherokee180 folder and I do not have the axisConfig.cfg in there, probably because I have not started the Cherokee input configurator since reinstalling FSX.

Sounds like Steph will post his axisConfig.cfg for you, be sure it is named correctly in your Cherokee180 folder. Let us know if this works for you.

Jim

[Edit] OK, I started the Cherokee Input configurator with my Saitek Throttle Quad plugged in and here is the text of my axisConfig.cfg:
Elevator_Trim joystick:0:DISABLED False
Rudder_Trim joystick:0:DISABLED False
AP_Roll joystick:0:DISABLED False
Carb_Heat_Lever joystick:0:DISABLED False
Flaps_Lever joystick:0:DISABLED False
EGT_Ref_Bug joystick:0:DISABLED False
Cockpit_Ventilation joystick:0:DISABLED False
Cockpit_Heat joystick:0:DISABLED False
Defroster joystick:0:DISABLED False

Disable_Shortcuts
Yoke_AP_Disconnect
Yoke_AP_Mode
Yoke_AP_Alt
Autopilot_Master
Trim_Up
Trim_Down
Magneto_Inc.
Magneto_Dec.
Engine_Starter
Cockpit_Ventilation
Carb_Heat
Headphones
Red_Cockpit_Light
White_Cockpit_Light
Battery_ON
Battery_OFF
Nothing is assigned in this file, hope it helps.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

Same as last, it is like the computer do not see it or some such, have copied the content into the file, given it the correct filename. The problem kinda is that i need to find a way i can turn the headphones on and off, the noise from the engine overpowers my speech output, and while that is a good thing it is a mess xd .

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Sandi - as Jim mentioned, nothing is assigned in the file he copied and pasted above. Did you manually add your own keystrokes for the autopilot/headphone functions before saving the file? If it's any help, you can download a copy of my axisConfig.cfg file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ew4aw18m163pu ... g.cfg?dl=0.

Thanks,
Nick

sandi
Airman First Class

Post by sandi »

Nick, you an angel! squeals! :) Now i just have to find out how the AP works. but does it have wing leveler too? or do i have to set the heading.I know it can hold my altitude,

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”