Problem(?) With KMA 24 Receiver

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
johnhcornes
Airman Basic

Problem(?) With KMA 24 Receiver

Post by johnhcornes »

Hi folks! I'm relatively new to flight simming as a whole, so please try to forgive me if I'm making a very simple mistake here.

I'm having what I believe is a problem with the receiver selection buttons on my KMA 24 (the comm 1/2/etc toggles). I have the C172 from A2A as well, and whenever I want to hear a particular radio, I just click that button, the light comes on, and I can hear it. Click it off, and, as expected, I can't hear it anymore.

With the Cherokee, however, I can't ever turn off Comm 1. I have to switch frequencies in order to stop ATIS, for example. Also, if I want to hear Comm 2 at all, I first have to toggle Comm 1 and then toggle Comm 2! I read the manual for the KMA 24 and tried to eliminate obvious errors I could have been making. In particular, I've paid attention to make sure the Auto function is turned off. The manual states that "input selections are independent," but that's not what's happening for me.

I have updated the plane to the latest version, but the problem persists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Other than this minor problem, I'm loving the aircraft!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Problem(?) With KMA 24 Receiver

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello John and welcome! :)

Interesting observation! I wonder if this is a little bug with the KMA 24 or just a limitation of the way the audio panel works in FSX/P3D. Can't say I've noticed it before, but I don't really tend to bother with ATC in the sim so that's my excuse. :mrgreen:

I haven't managed to find a manual for the old KMA 24*, but I guess the "auto" function works much the same in the newer KMA 26 we find in the Cessnas. However, in the latter I believe this function is always enabled so that when you select a radio to transmit on, the corresponding headset speaker is automatically selected.

It seems to me the best way to use the unit as modelled would be to keep the "auto" mode engaged and use the rotary transmitter selector to select which COMM radio you use (i.e. transmit and receive on). You should then be able to press the speaker or headphone button to listen to the other radio too if desired. For instance you could use COMM1 for speaking to ATC, and reserve COMM2 for ATIS etc. However, if you wish to silence COMM1, moving the dial to the COMM2 position should do the trick, provided the unit is in "auto" mode and neither of the COMM1 audio buttons are depressed.

Cheers,
Nick

*Edit - finally dug one up from here: http://stoerung.mfu-wien.at/Handbuecher/KMA24.pdf.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Guys, FSX doesn't allow to turn off just the receiving without turning off the transmitting. This is what KMA 24 is able to do, you transmitt on COM1 and you can turn off COM1 speaker/headphones. FSX can't do that.

John, are you sure you can turn off COM1 and COM2 in C172? The one you transmitt by is always on on my end.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the clarification Rob - as I understand it then, FSX comes with its equivalent of that B/K "Auto Com" feature permanently enabled. I can certainly see why this feature is permanently enabled in real newer audio panels such as the KMA 26 too. After all, what's the point in being able to transmit on a frequency which you're not able to receive on? :)

Cheers,
Nick

johnhcornes
Airman Basic

Post by johnhcornes »

ROB - A2A wrote:Guys, FSX doesn't allow to turn off just the receiving without turning off the transmitting. This is what KMA 24 is able to do, you transmitt on COM1 and you can turn off COM1 speaker/headphones. FSX can't do that.

John, are you sure you can turn off COM1 and COM2 in C172? The one you transmitt by is always on on my end.

regards
ROB
Good observation, Rob. That was definitely the issue. I was just making a mistake in my usage.

I think the issue I was having is that in the C172, the light on the comm button stays on even when you click it if that's also where you're transmitting, so it's a bit more obvious that you can't turn it off. In the Cherokee, on the KMA 24, the button pops out, which was giving me the visual impression that it shouldn't be transmitting.

Anyway, that's cleared up. Thank you both very much for your help!

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”